Self Drive Car Rental

Ok. So I'm really excited to get my license in a few days. The next thing I am looking at is car hire.

Does anyone here know of any self drive car rental here in HCM? Do they rent out cars without drivers to foreigners with the Vietnamese B2 Driver License? I am looking to rent one to drive up to Vung Tau for a few days and back.

Appreciate any information provided!:)

Yah I asked the same question here about a month ago. 

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=302738

Heard there was an Avis but I haven't confirmed it.  Most local mom and pop shops don't want to let their prized investments out of their sight without a driver.  Might be afraid you'll take it for a spin to Cambodia and never return.

Like THD had mentioned, it will be tough.  The owner of the car will really have to know you, before they would release the car and all its supporting documents to you.

It is not impossible, though.  I have rented cars and drove myself to places before.  Just work on establishing some trust with the owner of the car you want to drive.

Well I did some research on google in Vietnamese and found quite a few numbers. Sent them a message in English and only received one reply.

Willing to rent but you have to mortgage either passport + motorbike or 10 mil VND. And it also seems to be quite over priced. Chevrolet Cruze for 1 mil VND. Did some research and the prize of this model usually ranges from 700k to 800k. Probably trying to rip me off a little here. :D I'm gonna haggle the price a little and see how it goes.

But what do you guys think of the mortgage? I'm just kind of worried about leaving my passport in case they lose it or something.

And what about if I rent it from some of the local rentals here using my Vietnamese friend's name but he doesn't have a driving license. So do they actually need the person renting to have a driving license?

Get a VN friend to search the VN websites. I found a car here in VT without any problems, I can drive it on my VN license. Its a Hyundai i10 at 720,000dong per day.So its really not that hard to find. Just check the car for any damage before you start otherwise you will be up for the costs when you return it.

Yea. I searched the VN websites with chrome and translated all the VN to EN. :)

I will be renting it using my friend's name because I'm a little worried about leaving my passport in case they lose it or something. Bloody a lot of hassle to make a new one.

Anyway, I think I will be trying out the Kia Sorento or the Toyota Fortuner. 7 seaters. The price is 1,200,000VND per day. Drive down to VT for a few days. Since it's my first time driving in VN, I figured VT is the safest place as the route there is just straight along the highway and traffic in VT is pretty much not so congested.

What do you guys think?

Anyway I checked out Avis' website.

http://www.avis.com.vn/en/

I think they focus mainly on long term expat rentals through companies and chauffeur services. Not much information provided about cars or prices though.

dathancna wrote:

Anyway, I think I will be trying out the Kia Sorento or the Toyota Fortuner. 7 seaters. The price is 1,200,000VND per day. Drive down to VT for a few days. Since it's my first time driving in VN, I figured VT is the safest place as the route there is just straight along the highway and traffic in VT is pretty much not so congested.

What do you guys think?

Highway 51 (QL51) is a good drive.  It's been overhauled a year or two ago but has since deteriorated - not high quality by US Standards but pretty decent by Vietnamese standards.  The center lane is designed for tourist and passenger vehicles but you'll likely be stressed out driving on QL51.  You'll need to watch out for the Hoa Mai Shuttle vans.  There was some rumor that the owner of that company is a high-up official and pretty much the CSGT (Traffic Cops) just let the Hoa Mai drivers drive as crazy and as fast as they want.  So expect these vans to ram up your tail while blaring their horn for you to get out of their way. 

Just continue on QL51 until it ends in Vũng Tàu, you should be at the tourist area called Bãi Sau Beach (Back Beach). 

After you get bored driving around Vũng Tàu, I recommend a trip along the coast towards Phan Thiết.  You can use Highway 55 (QL55) and drive towards the Bình Châu Hot Springs.  It is a very stress-less drive since it isn't a tourist route and you get in a lot of good sight-seeing.     

Anyhow, I should be around the area if you need any help.

The traffic usually clogs up from around D9 to the Bien Hoa circle after the bridge, after that its a pretty straight run, just make sure you keep to the right hand side car lane as they do have a tendency to speed along there.The quickest way is to go through Cat Lai and catch the ferry across to Nhon Trach.

colinoscapee wrote:

The traffic usually clogs up from around D9 to the Bien Hoa circle after the bridge, after that its a pretty straight run, just make sure you keep to the right hand side car lane as they do have a tendency to speed along there.The quickest way is to go through Cat Lai and catch the ferry across to Nhon Trach.

Thanks for the advice and information guys.

They allow cars on the ferry? The only one I have been on is the ferry from Saigon to Can Gio. They allow cars on that. Not sure of the Cat Lai route but I have done several trips to VT by motorbike by QL51 so I'm quite familiar with that.

THD, maybe I will make another drive to Phan Thiet another time. Will try to get used to the Vietnam driving experience first. :)

dathancna wrote:

.... Will try to get used to the Vietnam driving experience first. :)

Beware the "fakers"-these are people that drive motorbikes, graze your car when you're going at a slow speed, and then fall down like they're bleeding to death.  They make a big fuss about needing to go to the hospital and then one of their buddies comes out to tell you that the medical fee is 1 million VND.  You being in shock at seeing a guy wailing to death due to a papercut, oblige and give him the money because you don't want to make a big scene or looking like the bad guy until the CSGT shows up to do an investigation.

That was my first driving experience with a car in Việt Nam.

dathancna wrote:
colinoscapee wrote:

Thanks for the advice and information guys.

They allow cars on the ferry? ...

I hope that was a "oh I didn't know they allow cars on the Cát Lái Ferry" sort of wow rhetorical question and not a serious one.....since, you know...colinoscapee just advised you "The quickest way is to go through Cat Lai and catch the ferry across to Nhon Trach." in the same paragraph where he was advising you on driving a car.  He would be a moron if he continued to advise you about driving a car onto a ferry that DIDN'T allow cars now wouldn't he?  :P

Yes they certainly do allow cars, its only the really small ferries that dont allow cars on them such as the one between Cu Chi and Binh Duong and Thoi Son island near My Tho.Have a look at a map and try and go through Cat Lai, its saves around 40 minutes due to less traffic.

I hope that was a "oh I didn't know they allow cars on the Cát Lái Ferry" sort of wow rhetorical question and not a serious one.....since, you know...colinoscapee just advised you "The quickest way is to go through Cat Lai and catch the ferry across to Nhon Trach." in the same paragraph where he was advising you on driving a car.  He would be a moron if he continued to advise you about driving a car onto a ferry that DIDN'T allow cars now wouldn't he?  :P

Haha. I didn't mean it seriously. I know they allow cars on the ferry to Can Gio from Saigon. Just asking if they had the same one from Cat Lai. But since I'm renting it to drive, I think I'd take the QL51 route rather then taking the ferry. :)

colinoscapee wrote:

Yes they certainly do allow cars, its only the really small ferries that dont allow cars on them such as the one between Cu Chi and Binh Duong and Thoi Son island near My Tho.Have a look at a map and try and go through Cat Lai, its saves around 40 minutes due to less traffic.

I looked through it on the map but I'm a little confused. The Cat Lai port you are referring to is called Ben Do Cat Lai? The one that's near to Quan 2 and you can reach there through Dong Van Cong Street and Nguyen Thi Dinh Street?

Then once you are on the other side, there is this Ly Thai To Street. Am I supposed to take that street all the way until it connects to QL51? And the same for the return route as well?

Thanks.

dathancna wrote:
colinoscapee wrote:

I looked through it on the map but I'm a little confused. The Cat Lai port you are referring to is called Ben Do Cat Lai? The one that's near to Quan 2 and you can reach there through Dong Van Cong Street and Nguyen Thi Dinh Street?

Then once you are on the other side, there is this Ly Thai To Street. Am I supposed to take that street all the way until it connects to QL51? And the same for the return route as well?

Thanks.

For someone new to the area, just stick with the Hà Nội Highway (QL1A) to Vũng Tàu Highway (QL51) route.  It's longer, but the highway is wider with multiple lanes for autos and you can't get lost.  Going the "shortcut" via ferry will put you in Nhơn Trạch District of Đồng Nai Province.  It saves you time but probably will confuse you and you might get lost.  There are some turns with road signs that aren't self-explanatory and you could easily miss it.  So save the ferry exploratory route for the next time you feel adventurous or have a guide with you.

I think I read somewhere that you are out near Go Vap, is that right. If you are, then its much easier to go and get on the AH1 behind Go Vap and follow that to the Ha Noi highway. No use going all the way over to Cat Lai and going that way.

[moderated: no free ads please]

Mike he only wants it for a few days, not a month.

Yeah, I noticed that about 2 seconds after I sent it. Ooops

I'm in Go Vap but I'll probably be heading out from Binh Thanh area to pick up my friends from there. Anyway, I tried searching for some information on traffic laws here in Vietnam but couldn't manage to find any. Any of you guys know if there are any set of basic traffic rules that I should follow so as not to get pulled over by any CSGT? :)

Can you read Vietnamese, there is a drivers handbook of rules, I have one. It wont make any difference, if the cops want to pull you over they will even if you havnt done anything, they target cars,trucks and buses.

I can't read Vietnamese but my friend can. She can probably read it and translate it for me. :) I agree with you that if the CSGT wanna pull me over, they will even though I haven't done anything wrong but at least not doing anything wrong will hopefully reduce my chances. :D

So how do I get the handbook? :)

Get your friend who can speak VN to go to the licensing office close to you.

Hi,
It's great to drive a car on a highway yourself :). But watch out CSGT with many tricks to get your pocket money.:)
Showing up with cars may bring you many new experiences of pricing system in Vung Tau :cool:
Enjoy it!:)

dathancna wrote:

I can't read Vietnamese but my friend can. She can probably read it and translate it for me. :) I agree with you that if the CSGT wanna pull me over, they will even though I haven't done anything wrong but at least not doing anything wrong will hopefully reduce my chances. :D

There most popular violations the CSGT will pull a car/automobile over is for speeding.

Speeding requires a radar gun and many units, ESPECIALLY in Đồng Nai Province, have both hand-held oncoming radar guns and tripod mounted radar units.  Many road signs will let you know what the speed limit is. 

You need to be aware when you're entering an urban area and reduce your speed to 40 kph.  The sign is a free standing sign that has a picture of a "white city looking silhouette" against a blue background.  I got busted once (on a motorbike) doing 50 kph in an urban zone because I didn't realize I was entering a town.  Now I am always on the lookout for those freestanding signs.

dathancna wrote:

Actually just pick me up on your way to Vũng Tàu and I'll give you a "crash" course on how to drive in Việt Nam.  I have both the B and A licenses, logged many many "miles" on Việt Nam highways, and contributed a good plenty to the policeman's retirement fund.

Hello,
  I have rented a vehicle with a driver before from a friendly guy named Cuong.  I know you would like to drive yourself and I think he would be able to make something work for you.  He speaks English well and will definitely try to help you any way he can.  This is his number: xxx

That car owner take the risk so they must charge higher, you got it? You are also worried about your 450 bucks vs to their 45,000 bucks, you got the picture? They don't know you but you want them to trust you? Do you trust them with your 450 bucks. Who want to play upper hand? No one is stupid, just lack of experience. Try to be smart? Should play fair to each other please. Thank you

@an09321399

You have posted on a 3 year old thread so do not expect a reply.

an0932121399 wrote:

That car owner take the risk so they must charge higher, you got it? You are also worried about your 450 bucks vs to their 45,000 bucks, you got the picture? They don't know you but you want them to trust you? Do you trust them with your 450 bucks. Who want to play upper hand? No one is stupid, just lack of experience. Try to be smart? Should play fair to each other please. Thank you

I doubt this rant will register with the OP.

Car rental in Vietnam - what a funny concept!
So many ways that could go wrong.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/1e/96/46/1e9646e30cbaab644bbe94c290ee1950.jpg

haha! that picture is funny

Nice photo 😀

gobot wrote:

Car rental in Vietnam - what a funny concept!
So many ways that could go wrong.

[img align="bull in a china shop"]https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/1e/96/46/1e9646e30cbaab644bbe94c290ee1950.jpg[/url]

Nice photo 😀

Can you be more  specific  re car rental ??

Its something i am interested in initially before moving to purchase

Although i have to admit almost total ignorance of the reality of such in Vietnam

Any constructive info  greatly  appreacciated

If i holding a international driving licence , can i drive in vietnam?
Renting a car in vietnam isir easy ?

Nana0903 wrote:

If i holding a international driving licence , can i drive in vietnam?
Renting a car in vietnam isir easy ?

Short answer is its Not easy

I have spent  the last few weeks searching  for the same as you , and i  havent got  much progress to show

I dont think  an international  licence  ?  is valid 
But  an international driving  permit IDP is accepted  in vietnam

The  AA ( automobile assocation ) issues  this  to  irish / uk licience holders for example - other  nationalaties  in dont know about

Hi there, I intend traveling some days in Vietnam and like to drive myself. Any address to rent a car?