Considering a move to Lusaka

We are a family of 5 with 3 young boys aged 8, 6 and 3 1/2 years of age. My husband has recently been offered a 2 year contract with a copper mine and would be based in Lusaka. I am wondering what everyday life for me and my boys would be like. My main concerns are safety and health. I consider myself reasonably adventurous and not too precious about things. I am also a small animal veterinarian, so was hoping to be able to pick up a small number of hours work per week so as to keep up my skills while away from home. I would appreciate hearing from people who have made the move with a family and any hints and tips they could give me.

Kind Regards,

Emma :)

Hi Emma,

Surprised no one has posted to you yet!

Zambia is a great place.  Its quite safe and its very beautiful as well.  There is the usual petty crime and you have to be sensible, as any where in the world.

You mentioned a Copper Mine, so you will be on the Copperbelt.  The mines really look after their people.  I know Kansanshi/Solwezi is great, they have a large estate where people stay.  Lumwana is also very professional.

Medical is very good here.  I stay in Lusaka and go to Fairview Hospital, no problems, they are very sharp.  A friend of mine broke his leg badly and went to the Italian Orthopedic Hospital in Lusaka, they did a brilliant job on repairing it.

The Copperbelt up North is quite a hub of activity with lots of people, so you will not be short of services.  I am sure you will have a lovely time in Zambia.

I have a 10 year old daughter who visits me from South Africa, the times I have given her hear and what we have done together will be in our memories forever!

Mark

Hi everyone
Hope you are all smiling today! Can any of you lovely folk help me to find a decent house for my husband and nine year old son? I'm still in N Ireland, husband is back and forth and my son misses his dad. We don't want to move until we have a good place to stay. My husband will be based in Lusaka as engineer. Too many times I have had to stay in awful places and move too many times and the whole thing is exhausting. This time I want to be more careful. I would appreciate any guidance. My husband has looked at some places but to be onset they have been old and unsuitable. Thanks a lot.