Best way to bring money into Vietnam for Australians

ChrisFox wrote:

My Aus friend just uses his ATM card here in VN and gets cash straight out of his Oz account as VNĐ.

If you need a large amount, you end up paying too much bank fees from multiple withdrawals as some atms have a 2mil limit

AU is good every where in VN, to buy US then convert your going to loose 3 ways ,most bussiness`s accept visa card  with no fees or just get dong from the atm and save the fees $1 50 per trans  isn`t too bad especially if you use same bank atm each time , you can get upto 8mill/ withdrawl

I just checked western union and I can send money from my bank account to someone in Vietnam (presumably myself) for $5 (takes 3 days). The maximum amount that can be sent via the website is $2,999 (all these figures are in U.S. dollars. I have no idea how wu is for Australians) and the total charge is $3,004 (when I selected dollar to dong and then ran the figure in dong through google's dong to dollar calculator it only came out as $2,921 and change so it seems they may get you on the exchange rate if you don't stick to the same currency).

mark stutley wrote:

AU is good every where in VN, to buy US then convert your going to loose 3 ways ,most bussiness`s accept visa card  with no fees or just get dong from the atm and save the fees $1 50 per trans  isn`t too bad especially if you use same bank atm each time , you can get upto 8mill/ withdrawl

The last time I used the Citibank ATM (8 million dong limit) in D7/PMH it charged 60.000 dong so you might want to check those fees on ATMs with higher limits.