Visiting Can Tho for Tet with family

Hi,

I am new to this forum but have read all the entries for Can Tho with interest. We have family there, and are planning on visiting for the upcoming Tet holiday in 2014 with our kids, 2 and 3. We've been back to Can Tho a couple of times before, but we didn't have kids back then. This time will be different.

I was just looking for suggestions on where to take the little ones to let them have fun? We usually take them to the park at least once a week so they can run around and climb on things. Are there nice parks in Can Tho? Any other activities we should look into?

Thanks,

htothefro wrote:

Hi,

I am new to this forum but have read all the entries for Can Tho with interest. We have family there, and are planning on visiting for the upcoming Tet holiday in 2014 with our kids, 2 and 3. We've been back to Can Tho a couple of times before, but we didn't have kids back then. This time will be different.

I was just looking for suggestions on where to take the little ones to let them have fun? We usually take them to the park at least once a week so they can run around and climb on things. Are there nice parks in Can Tho? Any other activities we should look into?

Thanks,

Do your kids know how to swim yet?  If not, my first suggestion is for you to teach them to swim.  One, it's always a useful life-saving skill to know and Two, you'll definitely meet water when you visit Cần Thơ.

I'm going back to Can Tho for Tet too. My Khanh was a nice family type of atmosphere. Kind of like a small zoo.

Tran Hung Dao wrote:

Do your kids know how to swim yet?  If not, my first suggestion is for you to teach them to swim.  One, it's always a useful life-saving skill to know and Two, you'll definitely meet water when you visit Cần Thơ.

I slipped on seeweed and fell into the Mekong Delta like over 10 years ago. Was pretty deep must have been under water for at least 30 seconds. Man did I sober up quick.

My Khanh is good for family funs.  However, I don't recommend it around Tet:  that joint gets pack, you will wait hours for your foods. 

Personally, I'd prefer to spend the Tet days with families and friends.  Then, hit those kind of places after everyone is gone.

Htothefro, I am currently in Santa Ana.  Hit me up, we will go grab a cup of coffee, or something.

thanks for the advice everyone. My kids like playing with water, but no, they can't swim yet. I heard there was a water park, but that it might be too dirty to let them play there. Any thoughts?

The waterpark is little, but it is servicable.  My Vietnamese friends bring their kids there all the time.  You and your kids might be able to find refuge there.  I don't think the locals will swim around Tet.

Wild_1 wrote:

I don't think the locals will swim around Tet.

Yes, this is true, because, you know, Tet occurs right in the middle of winter in the Northern hemisphere, and the temps around Tet in southern Vietnam can get as low as 80 degrees - way too cold for swimming. :lol:

Hey Mr. Marley, I meant the locals will be too busy celebrating.  To the Vietnamese, it is a very eventful time of year.  However, I don't believe swimming is on the calendar, though.  :dumbom:

[Moderated: Avoid copy/pasting on the forum.]

I'll be in Can Tho for Tet as well. Took the midnight cruise from the Ban Ninh Kieu on my first trip, and was sorry I didn't bring a jacket. That river can get cool at night.

I think the kids' minds are locked on fireworks, dragon dances, and puffed rice canons. The adults go on a round of visits and the kids are more or less left to their own devices, unless they catch sight of a red envelope.

Wild 1, Is that the water park near the Victoria Hotel?

I was corked on Mỹ Khánh early on but Howie is probably right that it's a madhouse on the holidays. 

The flower markets are ok but mostly the same two plants, I have however picked up some terrific cacti. 

Overall, there isn't a lot to do in CT.

11 years ago I rented an entire boat from Benh Ninh Kieu to go to this place that served fresh food. You had to walk across logs, they had alligators, fishes and some live animals that you can point to and they will cook them for you on the spot. I saw them put a live rabbit by it's 2 large ears into a big boiling pot.

Don't remember what that place is but food was good and I want to take my fiance there. She's never been to Can Tho.

Fellas,

It is Ben Ninh Kieu.  The place that Khanh described is Lang Du Lich My Khanh and, like ChrisFox mentioned, it will be a madhouse during Tet.

your family in CT will know other places to take the kids, just ask them,...