English speakers in Valencia? Lets be friends!

Hello everyone!

I recently moved to Valencia from London. I graduated in July with a BA in English Linguistics and I am now teaching English to children and adults in Valencia. Unfortunately I do not speak Spanish (although I am going to study Spanish whilst I'm here!) So I would love to meet other English speakers... I don't want to be lonely!

Natilly :)

Hi Natilly,,

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

Thank you for this introduction.

I am sure you will make lots of new contacts soon.

All the best,
Christine
Expat.com team

you going to bee teaching a wiled language that different try speaking it sorry i speak it like a kid
after 30yrs

valencianos speak Spanish different
im wasted in mallorca

Hi Natilly!

Welcome to Valencia! You might try some of the social events at Portland Ale House, specifically the English night on Thursdays (where English speakers get free beer for leading English conversations with Spaniards) or the Pub Quiz night, which runs every Sunday night (in English). It's a good place to meet English speakers.

I also teach English here in Valencia, and should you continue to have trouble meeting people, message me and perhaps we could meet up sometime.

Best,
Zach, a.k.a. the "Not Hemingway's Spain" blogger
http://nothemingwaysspain.blogspot.com.es/

Hi Zach,

Fantastic, thank you for your reply! How are you finding teaching here in Valencia? Maybe you could give me some advice. I have never taught before and I have 20 classes to lead on my own a week, scary stuff! I hope I am doing everything right!

Natilly :)

Natilly,

I'm in my third year of TEFL, though I taught courses in graduate school before this. Teaching in general is a confidence trick, so to speak, because the more confidence you emit the more your students will believe you, listen to you, and as a consequence learn from you. So even if you don't feel like a master of the subject, it is important to project confidence in yourself. That said, I've also found that it is best to admit to students when you do not know something (which is really the ultimate proof of confidence in yourself), to not bulls**t them, and just say that you will look it up for them. This honesty wins them over.

It's a hard balance, especially when you're still getting used to standing in front of people and talking authoritatively for hours, and especially if you have 20 classes!!! I'm sure you're doing a great job, and even if it doesn't feel that way at times you should be easy on yourself. It will get easier with practice and as you get to know your students better.

That's my broad general advice, but it is probably so self-evident and broad as to be unhelpful. I did write a series on TEFL where I shared some specific lessons I use with students, including fun handouts and links to other site with useful materials and tips:
http://nothemingwaysspain.blogspot.com. … label/TEFL

That is a total of 20 different lessons, with links to hundreds more, and I mention a couple of great TEFL blog posts by other Spain bloggers with useful advice about the job here in Spain. (In other words, you are not alone!)

Message me if you ever want to meet and talk more about it. Though I'm an American, I lived in London many years ago and would get a kick out of hearing about it.

Take care,
Zach