Do most Vietnamese people wish USA won the Vietnam war?

I just read the news article about general Vo Nguyen Giap passing away today, and it appears many Vietnamese hold him in high regard for his victories against France and USA.  I also read that lots of Vietnam refugees also dislike him a lot.

How do most Vietnamese people in general, feel about him and the Vietnam War in general?  Do they wish that the US had won the war so that they would become a more democratic nation with a free market economy?  (Similar to how South Korea went from one of the poorest nations in the world after the Korean war, to become one of the wealthiest nations in Asia)

Vietnamee refugees hate anyone associated with the Communist government period.

ms989 :

I just read the news article about general Vo Nguyen Giap passing away today, and it appears many Vietnamese hold him in high regard for his victories against France and USA.  I also read that lots of Vietnam refugees also dislike him a lot.

How do most Vietnamese people in general, feel about him and the Vietnam War in general?  Do they wish that the US had won the war so that they would become a more democratic nation with a free market economy?  (Similar to how South Korea went from one of the poorest nations in the world after the Korean war, to become one of the wealthiest nations in Asia)

The USA government was wrong to allow the French to return to Vietnam after Japan was defeated in WWII.  After the defeat of the French, It was wrong to use the United Nation to split the country with the promise of a vote in the south to see if they wanted to join the north.  The USA blocked this vote from happening. All because of a fear that communism
will spread throughout the world.  I often wonder where Vietnam would be today, if the USA would have supported Uncle Ho in liberating the Vietnamese people in 1945 instead of allowing their servitude to the french to continue.  Just my opinion.

Vo Nguyen Giap was one of the better Vietnamese, on either side of the 17th parallel.  Any Vietnamese who bad-mouths him is talking smack about his/her own heritage. 

As for who should have won the Vietnam War, dude, the thing is way over with.  Why bring up the what-ifs and what-should-have-beens now?  What are you trying to get at?  What will it achieve, aside from nothing?

I can tell you that in Houston, there are a lot of South Vietnam flags that are flown, but I have yet to see the current flag flown anywhere outside of the VN consulate. I have never met a Viet Kieu that supports the current government.

jakejas :

I can tell you that in Houston, there are a lot of South Vietnam flags that are flown, but I have yet to see the current flag flown anywhere outside of the VN consulate. I have never met a Viet Kieu that supports the current government.

Flying the current one star Vietnam flag is like flying the Confederate Flag in Philadelphia a generation AFTER the Civil War.  Probably wouldn't go too well for the house that flew it.  Wait...it's like flying the Confederate Flag TODAY in Lexington, VA.

http://www.cbsnews.com/2100-201_162-20100808.html

Wild_1 :

Vo Nguyen Giap was one of the better Vietnamese, on either side of the 17th parallel.  Any Vietnamese who bad-mouths him is talking smack about his/her own heritage. 

As for who should have won the Vietnam War, dude, the thing is way over with.  Why bring up the what-ifs and what-should-have-been now?  What are you trying to get at?  What will it achieve, aside from nothing?

Agreed.  That's like asking would America be great if the South had won the Civil War.

ms989 :

How do most Vietnamese people in general

ms898,
WHO ARE YOU??
This is a Vietnam  Expat.com. This is your very first post. You've never been to VN.
Did you just register as a member yesterday?So who are you to be asking such questions? Ridiculous! General Giap was Bac Ho's right hand man in military. And on the day after his death, you have the nerve to ask people on a foreign blog for expats 'do VN wish US won the war?'.
What an insensitive oaf.
Go elsewhere for your senseless postings.

What a strange question to ask a bunch of expats....

There is always honor in serving your country, even if the cause is found to be dishonorable and the men calling them to serve are dishonorable. They died serving. You can never take that away from them. It is not nothing. To take that stance is to dishonor all veterans and all heroes, and by heroes I mean the ones that didn't come home at all, or came home in boxes, bags, and if extremely lucky, wheel chairs and crutches.

ms989: Yes, this is the wrong blog to be asking those questions on. There are blogs in the US that will happily entertain them.

Ancient Pathos: Obviously, you've never bothered to read any history. First, the U.S. did not "allow" the French to return to Vietnam. They had no say in the matter and denied any shipping to French units bound for Indochina. France was an Ally in WWII, HCM was as yet a nobody. He had no internally or internationally recognized status under which he could have asked for U.S. help. The US only became interested in the war when Giap's newly trained regulars destroyed the equivalent of a French Division along Colonial Route 4 between That Khe and Cao Bang in October 1950. Even then, it took over a year for U.S. support to start arriving, and most of it was meant for the Army of State of Vietnam.

But you are correct in that the Cold War had much to do with the U.S. decision to provide support the French Union Forces.

Second, the United Nations had absolutely nothing to do with the division of Vietnam. The Geneva Accords did that by providing for a temporary division of the country and Vietnamese politics, plus American backing of the South, did the rest. It was no different than Korea and somewhat similar to Germany. Indeed, it wasn't much different that the division of Dai Viet between the Trinh (Dang Ngoai) and the Nguyen (Dang Trong) from the Sixteenth to early 19th Centuries. 

Wild 1 also brings up a good point. For the great majority of Vietnamese, the war is way over, i.e. ancient history. It has no relation to the reality of Vietnam today. Today's Vietnamese are far more interested in building a life that will allow them and their children a decent future.

lirelou :

ms989: Yes, this is the wrong blog to be asking those questions on. There are blogs in the US that will happily entertain them.

Wild 1 also brings up a good point. For the great majority of Vietnamese, the war is way over, i.e. ancient history. It has no relation to the reality of Vietnam today. Today's Vietnamese are far more interested in building a life that will allow them and their children a decent future.

Wild 1 is absolutely 100% correct !

Lirelou is somewhat correct and I was wrong by listing the UN instead of the GA.  The USA and Britain claiming that they did not sign the Geneva Accords decided to defy them in a matter of weeks by providing military support to Deim government.  Prior to this, Truman provided military aid to the French Colonial government. During WWII, the USA worked and provided support/military aid to the Viet Minh.  Ho worked closely with the OSS to free Indo China from the Japanese with the understanding that it would also be free from French Colonialism.  Comparing Korea or the 16th Century really has no validity in justifying defying the Geneva Accords and continuing a war for 20 years. But this is only my opinion based on the facts available through my knowledge of history.

General Vo Nguyen Giap was a good general and is generally praised for his tactics. There are 2 issues however that most people never think about.
1. Tet offensive
The Viet Cong were almost totally destroyed by the Tet offensive and some have blamed this on Giap for purposely not supporting them in the field. The Viet Cong were not 100% aligned with the political objectives of the North Vietnamese government and there were some concerns that if they were allowed to have their say that it could cause problems down the road.

2. Paris Peace Accords
The Paris Peace Accords were not between the US and Vietnam, it was to stop ALL hostilities in Vietnam. There was actually 6 to 10 months of peace after the US pulled out of Vietnam.
General Giap is credited with the plan to keep funneling troops and equipment into South Vietnam during this period and taking the gamble on weather or not the US would re-engage in the fight. There was talk of a multi country response at the time but Giap was correct in his judgment that the world was tired of the fighting and wanted nothing to do with it.
I guess you could blame the general for all the deaths that happened during that period, but who really knows.

Guys,

would you mind if I close this thread ?

Sorry I can't wait for replies. This thread doesn't make sense

-thread closed-

Closed