Get married first??

My fiancee and I are in negotiations and may accept a position in Abu Dhabi so Dubai is an area of interest for living for a couple of years. I just read where a couple's house was raided by police and they were arrested for not being married. As Americans is this a risk once living there? Or is this something that a local falls under? Is it difficult to arrange getting married there maybe?

Ok - geography. Abu Dhabi is about 150 kilometres from Dubai so if you're working in AD you may want to live there. Having said that, many AD workers live in Dubai, as close to the border as they can, because rents are much cheaper.

The police raids were in Sharjah, the emirate on the other side of Dubai. Sharjah is the most conservative emirate, has no alcohol, stricter dress codes etc. and stricter enforcement of the laws. So Sharjah is different.

Although it is illegal for unmarried couples to live together anywhere in the UAE, many do. And thousands of unmarried tourist couples stay in the hotels. But I repeat, it is illegal. The general rule is that as long as you don't attract the attention of the authorities, by having noisy parties or upsetting someone by your behaviour for example, you will be left alone.

The inspections you read about in the newspaper are being done in Sharjah-the most conservative of the 7 emirates. The chance of that happening in Abu Dhabi or Dubai would be much MUCH lower. That said, it is illegal to co-habitate here. There is always a risk. While you might not be raided, anyone w/ an axe to grind could phone your illegal living situation in to the police. What do most people do? Lie and tell colleagues and neighbours that they are married.

They are making there way back in to Dubai, last year a friend of mine(single female)near Marina mall had a visit from the inspectors with their clip board and questions, they also spoke to the security at the building, i would not risk it and if you do, rent a 2 bedroom and let it look like you are flat sharing, so each bedroom looks occupied, i do have a theory on why, maybe wrong.

As you're all aware the number of vacant properties are huge right now in Dubai and they are scaring people so they will move and fill these vacant places or it could be that as AD own a huge percentage of Dubai and they are more strict and conservative in comparison they will not accept/allow the unlawful acts Islam forbids, either way who knows.

Its not a risk worth taking!

Hi all

So basically what i understood is that flat sharing between a girl and a boy without marriage is a problem  in Dubai?
Can any1 enlighten abt it?

Its simple @ vishalchandna, this is an Islamic country and like all muslim countries its a against the law for a male and female who are not married or related to live together in the same property unless they are siblings etc.

SIMPLE!!

but visiting ur female frnd or male frnd on evenings or even spending 1 or 2 day stay is also illegal?

vishalchandna wrote:

but visiting ur female frnd or male frnd on evenings or even spending 1 or 2 day stay is also illegal?

Yes, that's correct.

it is a bit complicated here, no freedom

just get married

secret is in ajman "free small emirate"

@hpn111 :- Racism not allowed to be posted, Dubai is a Social place where eveyone is fighting to strive, with due respect to all nationalities here everyone contributes to everynes existance in this country.....

auhgal wrote:

The inspections you read about in the newspaper are being done in Sharjah-the most conservative of the 7 emirates. The chance of that happening in Abu Dhabi or Dubai would be much MUCH lower.

Sharjah used to be more conervative some eight, seven years ago, now things are changing. You can even see girls in mini skirts in Sharjah shopping malls.

However, I am against statement that you can do whatever want in Dubai, but you have to be careful in Sharjah 'because it's so different'. That's not true. This is a country under sharia law, so respect local culture, and everything will be ok. It is better not to take risks.