Opening an account in Ireland

I am moving in July. 

I have no intentions of getting a job, immediately.  I'm staying with my boyfriend for the duration of his contract in Dublin.  I have a home in the US that I am renting and have a nice bit of change saved.  I want to know how do I go about opening a bank account without having to show a utility bill.  Shouldn't the residency permit suffice?  I just need access to some funds locally without feeling the pain of the foreign atm fee from home or the cost of the foreign exchange (which isn't much but I do not wish to spend unnecessarily).

Thanks...

Hiya,

I work in a bank in Ireland and just saw your post.  No I'm afraid a residency permit would not suffice.  You would need to have either a utility bill or a statement from another bank showing your current address.  We also cannot accept Tenancy agreements.  Could your boyfried get you added to one of his utility bills?that'd be the quickest and easiest fo you.  They are very strict on what is acceptable here in Ireand and the UK.

hope this helps

Sarah

Hi Sarah

Just a quick question if I may? I am coming over to Ireland early November to make final arrangements for my permanent move in January 2011.

As an irish citizen, moving over to Ireland for the first time, would I be able to open a bank account and register for a tax number, if I am not yet there permanently? :)

Would be great to receive your comments.

Thanks a mil

I'm not too sure about that one...possibly not as I think you have to be resident to get a PPS no. I managed to open an account before I moved here with a statement from my UK account but I'm not sure if you'd be able to use one from Johannesberg.  There are a few 'moving to Ireland' websites that'll tell you things regarding practicalities.  I used them for things like finding out about importing my cars.  Also, the Revenue Commissioners website is handy for explaining tax issues.  Hope that helps! :-)

Thanks for the information.  What is the requirement for joint accounts?  It seems our relationship status is going to change when I get there.  He'd suggested I just wait and he'll add me to his account. 

Thanks again...

Joint accounts would be the same.  Even if you were to be added to your partners account you'd need the same stuff.  if you're a new connection to the bank in any capacity you will be required to provide ID and address verification.  It's always a bit of a catch 22 when someone's new to the country because you can't get an account to get a statement that you'd need.  I usually advise people to get their name put on a gas or electric bill as soon as they can because that'd be perfect.  I work in Ulster Bank and what I've said is true for us but maybe some of the other banks might not be as strict.  Generally they are all much the same though.  Good luck and feel free to ask if you have any other questions.

Sarah