Living in Belize

I would like to know details on living in Belize, mainly how to make the move

Hi and welcome to Expat.com Lyoga5!

Could you please tell a bit more about yourself?
An introduction might help.

Regards
Armand

Yes, my husband and I would like to visit next month ( Belize) and look around around for  retirement property. We both are still working in  Atlanta. I just need guidance on how to begin the move. Lodging..banking..ins etc

Lyoga:

We started getting the International Living information on Belize. We did this for a few countries we were considering. Lots of good starting information to give you an idea of what you will find. It also talks about banking, getting groceries, etc.  Belize has several areas that have a different enough climate, and culture that you will want to decide which you would like to live in.  Of course for this pre research is great, but you need to see it in person.

For banking you need letters of reference from your current bank (somewhere you have banked for 2 years or more).

There are real estate agents, but know they do not have to be licensed. Therefore since you are new, you need to be wary. Ensure to involve a lawyer in your purchase process. Have the lawyer hold the deposit, etc in trust for you and the owner. That way the lawyer can ensure about title of the land etc. You don't have to, but people have been burned by some people, while for others things went well.

There are hotels, and home rentals around the country. There are people that frequent this list that can assist you in certain areas of the country for these rentals. I think they will volunteer their services.

Of course the type of home, type of vehicle, and much more is more a personal choice. As more and myself or others will will give an opinion.

Just so you know, I have not yet moved to Belize. I will be moving there on the 29th of October this year. So I have done a lot of ground work in preparation. I am a planner, so I don't just do this over night.

I wish you the best in your visit, and search for a new home.

Thank u for the info. So exciting to hear about your move this month. Can't wait for u to keep us informed. Or, are u retiring.

Do you have an idea which part of the country is more interesting to you?

Lyoga:

I am retiring as least for work in Belize, but am expecting to do some work as a consultant in other countries via computer. My wife will be working while in Belize we hope. We are planning on starting a business.

We'll I am a people person ,  my husband is not.  Need to socialize!!! That being said I want to be close to a larger area..walk ..bike .especially since we can not work for awhile.. What area would u suggest.

Lyoga:

For your need to socialize I would recommend then that you need to live in a location that has a larger population. I think you need to narrow down you choices a bit and then go and visit Belize to get an idea of the different areas. The different areas of Belize are really very different in many ways.

And if your wife's business relies on expats, keep that in mind as you look for an area to settle in....

The business is aimed at expats, and there are expats around, and we have plans to attract them to Belize.