How long can we live in France with using EHIC?

Hello,

We are hoping to buy a small house in Brittany and only live there up to 5-6 months at a time, question being, can we (if needed) just rely on the EHIC in France or do we legally have to pay for private health care, we are both a few years away from retirement and still have an address in the UK, where can we gain the most official upto date info on this?

If anyone can help us please it would be most gratefully received, many thanks

Jilly

If your living in France for less than half a year, then you use your EHIC, I would however take out top up insurance, a 4 day hospital visit with an operation would have cost including consultations before hand, visits by nurse after, and medications would have cost me close on €6000, it cost me nothing, without the top up I would have been liable to %30 of that. My migraine tablets are on prescription, cost without any health cover €53, my asthma inhaler €69, my husbands diabetic tablets €53 a month, these costs can be crippling if your not covered, I know of people who have no top up, I know of some without any cover. Please, make sure you are covered.

Thanks for your information that was most helpfull, can i get top-up insurance from any company you is it best to go to specalist insurance companies can you recommend any?

Kind regards
Jilly

Shop around, if you have a French bank account ask there as well if you have other insurances, My cover is with Macif, there are different levels of cover, not being French residents you may find the cheapest cover will be enough, My cover gives me over %300 cover on dental and opticians, needed for cosmetic or designer things, it also pays for private room in hospital.