I have a couple questions about living in scotland pls...

Hi all,
1: I have a 13 yo could someone give me a rundown of school options? I am confused with everything I have read.
2:are the taxes and such paid when living in scotland more than in the states?
3:and finally us it worth it to move my family to scotland? It's always been my dream to live there but I don't want to uproot my family just to see less of them because we have to work twice as hard just to accomplish my dream?

Hi nirysi1999,

Welcome to Expat.com :)

I have created a new thread as from your post on the Scotland Forum for better visibility and more interaction :)

Thank you

Maximilien
Expat.com Team

What types of thread

I assume that the US consulate in Edinburgh would be a source of information, as well as your nearest British consulate. Alternatively there's a FB group called Americans in Scotland, they are very supportive of other expats, you could contact them.

Superbuddha
Thanks man for this.

In my experience you will not save any money living in Scotland over the cost of living in the U.S. Food costs the same or more, utilities cost the same or more, and taxes are the same or more. If you need to work, you will find job hunting just as challenging as in the U.S. if not more so. Also, remember that Edinburgh, Scotland, is at the same latitude as Moscow, Copenhagen, and Ketchikan. It gets cold here in the winter.

We live in central Scotland, and it is beautiful. The land is lush and green, the air is clean and fresh, and the water is pure straight from the tap. There is much history and Old World architecture that gives the place a unique charm. You can definitely appreciate Scotland for its character and beauty. Just don't expect to save any money compared to the cost of living in the U.S.