Are there any English Clubs every Sunday with interesting topics?

Hello guys,

My friends and I are trying to find some good English Clubs in which we can truly improve our English skills.We go work weekdays so just have free time on weekend. Do you have any suggestions? Thank you so much for reading and helping. I look forward to hearing information from you soon. xxxx

no

you can go to talk&drink coffee located in d2 street.they held everynight about 8pm.on the evening sunday you can go to young-culture house or having a english club be held at Tao coffee on Quang Trung street by a singaporean.

Try this one, there are quite a few in Saig on now, just do a search on the internet or VN social pages.

http://www.thanhniennews.com/index/page … offee.aspx

Thank you so much for your useful information, i_love_vietnam and colinoscapee. I really appreciate and enjoy it. ^^

Ok

Irene she was after an English club to practise not a tutor.

Irene: Thank you Irene, but I go to an English class already, just want to find a good environment to interact.

Thank you so much blackrose, my friend and I decided to go there this weekend. :) Have a nice day ! ^^

Hi Anna,

Just saw your post here but anyway I think you have already seen my post about the English Club in Go Vap District. So yea, if you are living nearby, do come and join us on Sunday. I will pm you the details in awhile and I hope to see you there!

And thanks blackrose and ilovevietnam for recommending the English Club as well! Appreciate it!:)

Current, The club is continue?
How do i join, please?

yes, it is still open from 3-5pm every Sunday. I will be there this Sunday.:)

Hi Guys. Yes the club is still open. We have it every Sunday from 3pm to 5pm. Please check out our Facebook fan page " An English A Day". You will find the topic for each week and further information on our weekly activities! See you guys there!

dathancna wrote:

"An English A Day"

Is that grammatically correct?

It depends on context. If the meaning is like the saying "an apple a day" then it sounds like a pun. It depends on what an English a day will do for you..

An English what a day, a word,a person, song, rhyme. It doesnt make much sense to me, wait till TDH comes online he will have some long winded explanation about it.:D

Leave it guys :D
They just replaced: "An apple a day" :D
THD is busy with ex-military collection!

It sounds to me like "An English" is referring to an English person. It almost sounds like they are importing an English person every day to sit there and be talked at.

jakejas wrote:
dathancna wrote:

"An English A Day"

Thank you all for all the comments and critics.

Well firstly to answer your question, it's not grammatically correct. I admit it. When I was thinking of a name to come up with for the fan page, I kind of thought about "an apple a day" and wanted to make a catchy phrase similar to that.

So I replaced the apple with English. I actually thought about putting in another word after English as Colin stated. An English word a day, an English proverb a day or something like that. Eventually I just picked An English a day as it sounded better. It kind of sounds like a pun as Goodman stated. :)

Anyway, who says that it has to be grammatically correct? It's just a name or a title. There are so many titles and names of Brands and quotes of many organizations that aren't grammatically correct as well. My main purpose of the fan page was to upload some English learning materials everyday so people can learn something new from my page. Basically as an apple a day will keep the doctor away, an English a day will probably help you to improve your English everyday. Thus, I chose that name even though I expected there will be haters who will question the name just because they have nothing else to comment on.

As jakejas mentioned, "An English" is not referring to an English person and I am not importing any English person everyday to sit there and be talked at. I am doing it on my own and in my own time.

If you or THD wants to start a long winded explanation about this, then you are very welcomed to start a new thread on it. I am sure it will be very beneficial for many people out there who are looking forward to a free grammar lesson, myself included. :)

So lets get back to the post and try to post helpful information for these people who are looking for a place to practice some English instead of debating on grammar.

Every time someone posts something wrong, you will always expect to see someone pointing at their mistakes and trying to shoot them down. I'm sure all of you guys have seen many posts turning from providing useful information to an aggressive debate about who is right or wrong.

I see no point in people posting unrelated information in threads and getting points to become a contributor or a serial expat because they are not even helping anyone out there. Isn't helping others what this blog is all about? :)

jakejas wrote:
dathancna wrote:

"An English A Day"

:D or you can be mistaken for a very loose person

jakejas wrote:
dathancna wrote:

"An English A Day"

It is grammatically correct if you are a French Giant eating "an English a day" to keep the Ogre doctors away.  Was that from Jack and the Beanstalk?

jakejas wrote:

It sounds to me like "An English" is referring to an English person. It almost sounds like they are importing an English person every day to sit there and be talked at.

That's because he's using a adjective without a noun.  It should really be "An English Word A Day".  Kind of like learning Vietnamese.  Here's your Vietnamese word for the day.

tiết học  (going to school, going to class)

If I said "here's your Vietnamese for the day", you would expect an actual person to show up.

I'm sure we all know that but in case you want to read up on it.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/English

I would of thought that if you are going to advertise teaching English, a good start would be to use correct grammar to start with. So when the students learn and its grammatically wrong, they can just say it sounds good.

dathancna wrote:

If you or THD wants to start a long winded explanation about this, then you are very welcomed to start a new thread on it. I am sure it will be very beneficial for many people out there who are looking forward to a free grammar lesson, myself included. :)

So lets get back to the post and try to post helpful information for these people who are looking for a place to practice some English instead of debating on grammar.

Every time someone posts something wrong, you will always expect to see someone pointing at their mistakes and trying to shoot them down. I'm sure all of you guys have seen many posts turning from providing useful information to an aggressive debate about who is right or wrong.

Didn't get to this post yet when I replied to the previous posts.  I disagree with your assertion that "every time someone posts something wrong...trying to shoot them down".  That is a negative, defeatist state of mind.  If you, instead, take people's criticisms, comments, as a corrective suggestion, then you can improve yourself.

While learning Vietnamese, I love it when people correct me.  That's how I learn.

it is not grammatically wrong. it is insulting!
in its original context, you are a loose person having a different  English (man/woman) everyday!
As a guy, I may be proud of myself, but as a woman, I would be looked down as an immoral person(?).

As the saying goes.....practise what you preach. You want to teach students correct grammar but dont want to use it yourself, seems very hypocrictical

Well I do appreciate people correcting me. And as such you can see in my previous reply that I did take the effort to explain how I came up with the quote in hope that you guys would understand that I didn't ignore the fact that it was grammatically incorrect.

I came up with the name knowing that it was grammatically incorrect. The main reason was that I could not come up with any words to put in between the "English" and "a". An English word a day. That would mean that I will be putting up a new English word everyday but that wasn't my intention. My intention was to upload any learning materials with regards to English. A word, a proverb, a sentence, a story and so on. So I didn't want to limit the kind of information that people would find.

An English a day would mean something like an English (anything) every day.

Talking about insulting? I don't even know where your head is coming up with your explanation. It's an English Speaking Club with a title of An English a day. Well I guessed that people would basically take it as learning a new piece of information on English everyday. Who in the sickest of mind would have thought about having an new English man/woman everyday?

Well I am not a Native Speaker as most of you are and far from being an expert or a Professor in English. What I am doing here is just helping people and in return hope to come up with my own English Club where people could come and have fun. I never denied that I was wrong and neither did i insist that my quote was grammatically correct. All I did was make an explanation to people who misunderstood my quote.

Everyone has their own right to comment and state their ideas. This is my idea and I would stick to it. If someone were to ask me "What does An English a Day mean? Is it grammatically correct?" I would have answered that it is not. It's just a quote I came up with for the fun of it and it means that you will learn a new English word a day or a new English proverb a day or a new English sentence a day.

dathancna wrote:

Talking about insulting? I don't even know where your head is coming up with your explanation. It's an English Speaking Club with a title of An English a day. Well I guessed that people would basically take it as learning a new piece of information on English everyday. Who in the sickest of mind would have thought about having an new English man/woman everyday?
Well I am not a Native Speaker as most of you are and far from being an expert or a Professor in English.

There is nothing sick. It was mistake left uncorrected. Be careful what you say...
"A gentleman says what he means, AND means what he says"

hELLnoi wrote:
dathancna wrote:

Well I am not a Native Speaker as most of you are and far from being an expert or a Professor in English.

There is nothing sick. It was mistake left uncorrected. Be careful what you say...
"A gentleman says what he means, AND means what he says"

It was just a logical explanation about what people with think of with regards to the related activity. It's an English Speaking Club with the name of "An English a day". I'm really not sure how many people would have thought of it as having a new English man or woman or anything to do with a loose person.

I would agree with Goodman when he stated that it kind of sounded like having an English person there everyday to be talked at. As with regards to your comment, I think it is a little out of line.

I agree with everyone here that my quote is grammatically wrong. And I also took the effort to explain it to everyone why I named it as such.

If there is anyone who wants to join my club, you are welcomed to do so. You are welcomed to assume what you want to but if you are also interested to know why I came up with this grammatically incorrect name, you are also welcomed to question me and I would be more than happy to take the time to explain to you. :)

For the record, I think the saying is catchy even if it isn't grammatically correct. I just found the irony humorous.

Maybe the OP cut the snide remarks, and  then would get better responses.

Tran Hung Dao wrote:
jakejas wrote:
dathancna wrote:

"An English A Day"

It is grammatically correct if you are a French Giant eating "an English a day" to keep the Ogre doctors away.  Was that from Jack and the Beanstalk?

Well, THD thought there was someONE to be  eatten here.
and THD, if you WERE a French giant...
I consider you to be a giant on your recent milk run.

When you purposely use something for marketing or what-not that is "artistic", you should put them in quotations or italicize it.  Such as

"An English A Day" English Speaking Club

An English A Day English Speaking Club

Which would denote a name and won't confuse people.

hELLnoi wrote:
Tran Hung Dao wrote:
jakejas wrote:

Well, THD thought there was someONE to be  eatten here.
and THD, if you WERE a French giant...
I consider you to be a giant on your recent milk run.

:offtopic:
Milk run...interesting use of words.  Correct but it kind of sounds like we went running around town milking cows and not taking milk to an orphanage.  So how come you didn't go maaaaayyyyyn?

dathancna wrote:

Hi Guys. Yes the club is still open. We have it every Sunday from 3pm to 5pm. Please check out our Facebook fan page " An English A Day". You will find the topic for each week and further information on our weekly activities! See you guys there!

Thanks for the recommendation THD. I did put it in quotations to denote it as a name and not confuse people. Unfortunately, it did confuse a lot people. :D

dathancna wrote:
dathancna wrote:

Thanks for the recommendation THD. I did put it in quotations to denote it as a name and not confuse people. Unfortunately, it did confuse a lot people. :D

Good luck and good on you to help the locals up their English.

dathancna wrote:
dathancna wrote:

Maybe adding "English Speaking Club" after it would help, such as

Please check out our Facebook fan page "An English A Day" English Speaking Club.

Here man I just made this and uploaded it for you - a picture is worth a thousand words.

http://s17.postimg.org/3p2ffd5nj/englishaday.jpg

Haha. Looks nice. Great logo. Thanks anyway.

Hi, Is any such a club in Hanoi ? I am seeking for an E club for my niece. Thanks u all.

nonono THD!!! are you the step mummy of snow white with that rosey apple???  haha..

Rosy Nguyen, check other older posts for English clubs in Hanoi.