Newbie landing in Quito on Mon. 9/30

I'm coming to Ecuador on Mon. for the first time. Just found this informative blog and appreciate the shared information. I realize at this point I don't have a lot of time to read through the wonderful information here. My name is Steve Rickman and I'm from Alaska, my goal is to retire within a couple years somewhere in LA. Gotta get my sons through college. My goal is to live in a healthy enviornment, lots of organic fresh fruits. My comfort level is in a beach location that has not had property prices increased due to alot of development but has potential for property rental development down the road. Scuba diving and body surfing is what I love, along with adventerous journeys.
Since I'm only here two weeks, it won't be possible to see everything that Ecuador has to offer.
I have no itinerary after the first few days in Quito. Any advice on where to go and stay would be appreciated. Also, are there locations in Quito, Cuenca, that I could meet expats.

Gracias,
Steve

Hi Steve, welcome to Ecuador. That's kind of a tall order, finding a beach location that hasn't experienced hyper inflation and has good potential for rentals. One place I might recommend is the hill just south of Ayampe. Much of the coast is communal property, and I strongly advise you to avoid it, but there are pockets of titled property here and there. One of them is a project overlooking Ayampe and the ocean. I passed on it, because it's a gated community, and that won't work for my purposes, but there were small 10k building lots. I found them by contacting the sales office in Olon. Sorry, no web site or number, just look for the big sign on the main street for land for sale. In my travels up and down the coast, that was the best deal I passed on. For internet searches, I'd use OLX and then translate the pages if you need to.

Good hunting,
Jesse

Welcome to Ecuador!
I will like to share with you the information that I have trhoug my experience traveling and asking prices for real estate along the "Ruta del Sol" This is the highway it goes all along the coastal towns and cities in Ecuador

Im not a real estate agent or a sales person. But, I will like to show you a few places where I found real estate for sale, so you can compare prices, places where you can do scuba diving, surf, go in a boat, do whale watching (when the season is properly)

I think real estate in Ecuador is expensive, but the taxes are little. Really little and we are not required to have insurance for real estate. That is personal decision on the owner.

I have found land for sale on the hill side at Puerto Lopez, the best price that I have found with the best view. Of course that is my opinion from my experience riding and asking all around few beach towns.

I have found a few real estate where the owner has not papperwork, but this did not happen a lot. Most of the time, when I ask for papperwork and taxes be paid, they have it.

Anyway, if you like a place and you want to be sure there is legal papperwork, you can go to the Municipality and ask them. They will tell you. That is what I did before buy anything.

Here you can find more info about it: goodlifeinecuador.wordpress.com Please add the http:// to he website adress.

Also, that blog has FB wich is GoodLifeInEcuador.

Hope can I help you and give you suggestions that will work on your benefit.
http://goodlifeinecuador.wordpress.com/2013/03/05/advice-9-investing-in-ecuador/

Hi, I would use the Manta on the coast which has a population exceeding 250k. Great sea food and a lot of good information you can get from the local folks depending on your priorities. based on that they'll suggest the best areas south or north of Manta offering you the best time investment during your 2 weeks.

Good Luck

Mucho Gracias Jesse for responding with your information. 

Steve

Mucho Gracias Maria, for the information you gave me.

Steve

I recently was in Quito for the first time.  Stayed at Patio Andaluz.  Can't recommend it highly enough.  Great breakfast. Wifi. Walking distance to almost everything.  Don't be intimidated by the bus system--took me about a week to work up the nerve to try--it's a little scary but worth the experience.
Go to Gringo Post.com and Gringo Tree.com if you plan to visit Cuenca--Wish I had known about them before I visited.
Ecuador is an amazing place.  I went with the idea that I might want to retire there.  I came away convinced!!!
Have a great trip
cb

Thank you CB for the hotel information.

Steve