Public Health Care Accessibility for Immigrants

Hi ,

I am from india and would be coming to helsinki to work for one year . I would be working in Accenture here .
I will come with my family (my wife and a kid). I just wanted to uderstand , are we also covered by the public healthcare system of finland ? or de we have to rely on expensive private medical insurance ?

any help will be highly appreciated .

Thanks
Suren

Surensingh, you at least will be covered by your employer's occupational health care plan. Depends on the employer how much that covers. Your wife and child will not be covered by that.

As to whether you will be entitled to public health care, that depends on the length of your stay and your country of origin. Why don't you ask the authorities directly? And come back here to tell us when you find out.

Hi
Thanks for your reply.I am not sure how to ask the authorities from here in India.
By the way ..I would be coming to Helsinki for a year.

Regards
Suren

Any inputs please ?

Thanks
Suren

Why don't you Google 'Finland'. You should find the websites of several Finnish government bodies. Lots of them have English-language versions of their sites. I'm sure they have also email addresses on their sites, so you won't need to call them on telephone. Or try reaching the Finnish embassy or consulates in India.

The Ministry for Foreign Affairs has a website at formin.fi

Thanks for your reply . I will try to find out whatever information i can and will post back here .

Meanwhile, can i please ask you one more thing. For example here in India, even if you dont have any private medical insurance or public healthcare .. you can always walk-in to any clinic and get the doctors services ..pay him cash and its over .

Do we have such processes in Helsinki as well ? and approx how much it costs for a doctor visit , lets say for fever check up ??

Regards
Suren