Does any expat here run a business?

Can share how an expat can earn a living by doing business in Jakarta?

as we all know that its hard for expats to work in indonesia.

Anyone doing business in jakarta can share your tips n experiences?

anyone doing online biz or selling on FB or ebay?

Hi Alex,

I suspect that you're not getting anything much in the way of replies for one basic reason…most long term expats who are successful in their own businesses in Indonesia are understandably reluctant to discuss specifics about their business in public on the internet.

While I am based in Bali, once I married my Balinese wife I immersed myself in developing a “family” business here which thrives and is quite successful.  That includes selling on eBay where we have had a presence since Meg Whitman and Pierre first started eBay.  That was also back in “not so good old days” when a decent internet connection was about 15 to 20K bps…not to mention constant power outages, etc.

Most long established expats who are successful in business here in Indonesia ascribe to the well tested theory that it's often best to keep one's head down.  This isn't so much due to local government compliance as it is to the rather ruthless competitive atmosphere that often exists within the expatriate community itself.

I just wanted to share these few observations with you. 

In general, you'll get far more valuable information from those personal relationships you develop here on your own.

Good luck to you in any of your business ventures here in Indonesia. 

Cheers, Roy