Considering moving to CR in early 2015 - brand new to all of this!

Hello everybody!

My name is Dave and I've been poking around the forums here a bit. I just want to thank everybody right away because there's so much great info and advice here.

My wife Lori and I are considering moving to Costa Rica in early 2015. There's lots of reasons that we possibly want to move there.

Here's a few of them:

1. Our life has grown a bit stale here in the US - we're ready for a grand life adventure.

2. I have a job that I can work remotely from anywhere, and my wife is tired of her job as a dental assistant and ready for something new.

3. We want to slow down the pace of our lives

4. We want to live well, pay off our debt, and save some money.

So I know I have a TON of research to do still, but I have a few questions and am finding it hard to locate up to date info.

Border shuffle - can you still get a 90 day visa every 90 days for say a year or two straight?

Locations - I'm researching many different towns, but I really have no clue where I should be looking.

Requirements: I need high speed internet for my job, we will not have any transportation at first and would like to get mopeds or scooters eventually, so we need to be able to get everything we need for daily life within walking, bike riding, or bus distance. We like a small town feel and are not very big "nightlife" people. We're thinking Central Valley somewhere and we would like a place with a decent sized expat community to help ease us into our new life.

Any suggestions on towns that I should look into more would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks again and looking forward to picking all of your brains! :D

- Dave

The border shuffle is getting more difficult, especially at the Panama border, more restrictions have been enforced.  You may get a visa stamp for 90 or only 9 days at either the Panama or Nicaragua border, with no guarantee they will allow you to re-enter.
High speed internet here, is not as fast or as dependable as US standards.
You would need somewhere within the Central Valley
You would be advised to get good life insurance coverage to ride either a motor bike or scooter, here.
Medical insurance may be an issue.
Banking is not so easy either, if you are not a legal resident and sometimes, internet/phone/cable connections may be restricted.

*CR Wi-Fi is approx. $62 per month for their very reliable and stable 2mb/1.25mb service, although only in certain areas

there are SO many things you need to know I hardly know where to start.  We've been researching and planning for 5 years already and still don't know it all.  I encourage you to check out my friends' website at retireforlessincostarica.com and read therealcostarica.net too.  Both have great insights and info.  btw, we've decided on the San Isidro area.

Last I heard San Isidro area does have fast internet at least in some areas, it's a small town atmosphere but may be TOO quiet for most.

Something like San Ramon, Grecia, Atenas etc in the Central Valley might be better - there's a little more to do and you're closer to San Jose'. I know San Ramon has pretty good internet in town, and some places outside of town.

Not sure about getting in and out of the country after 90 days now.

Unless you stay in a very small town I would vote against using a scooter or moped. People drive too dangerously on the highways and Costa Rica tends to have potholes and such that could throw you for a real loop on a motor bike of any type. I find even driving a car there to be dangerous. You might want to consider buying a car though, if you need transportation, and selling it back when done with it.

Some areas have "satellite internet" and I can tell you that is NOT reliable, so avoid that if you need reliability.

A couple should be able to live decently on $1500/month so if you make enough with your remote work to save money after that monthly expenditure, then your plan has merit. Once you get a place to live and "set up" there, yes you can live a more relaxed lifestyle. Just be ready to be patient if you have to get internet set up or anything like that, it can be frustrating.

kohlerias wrote:

The border shuffle is getting more difficult, especially at the Panama border, more restrictions have been enforced.  You may get a visa stamp for 90 or only 9 days at either the Panama or Nicaragua border, with no guarantee they will allow you to re-enter.

Thanks! The main thing that concerns me is the border shuffle. I don't want to be living there for 3 months then not be allowed back in when my cats and all my stuff is there.

riggadeaux wrote:

there are SO many things you need to know I hardly know where to start.  We've been researching and planning for 5 years already and still don't know it all.  I encourage you to check out my friends' website at retireforlessincostarica.com and read therealcostarica.net too.  Both have great insights and info.  btw, we've decided on the San Isidro area.

Thanks! I'll check out retireforlessincostarica.com and I've already read most of therealcostarica.com and have emailed back and forth with Tim about his relocation tours.

samramon wrote:

Last I heard San Isidro area does have fast internet at least in some areas, it's a small town atmosphere but may be TOO quiet for most.

Something like San Ramon, Grecia, Atenas etc in the Central Valley might be better - there's a little more to do and you're closer to San Jose'. I know San Ramon has pretty good internet in town, and some places outside of town.

Thanks! good info here. I'll take a look at all these places and also thanks for the info on riding a moped ... I think I'll keep that idea on the back burner unless I do end up somewhere I feel safe.

Re: Scooter/Moto

I ride a 200cc moto the majority of the time here.  Most people that see this as a negative are not motorcycle type people and probably wouldn't ride them in the States either. 

I feel safer riding here than I did in the States.  There are a lot more motos here per capita, (personal opinion), than in the States and I think car drivers are more used to seeing them.  At the same time, there are some truly insane moto riders here.  They will cut anyone and everyone off and just seem to have a death wish.  I feel I have to ride more defensively around motos than I do cars.

With gas at $5.50 per gallon, it soooo pays to ride a moto.  I have a Toyota 4Runner that spends most of the time just sitting in the garage.

- Dave

P.S.  I agree that Paul & Gloria's site - retireforlessincostarica.com is one of the better and more accurate sites, especially as it applies to expenses.

Dave, I gotta admit, I do not ride a moto and I do think people who drive them in busy traffic (even in the U.S.) are kinda nutz!

So yeah, take my comments re not riding a moto with that "grain of salt"!

I understand what you are saying, though. If one is comfortable with something then one has to base one's decision on that comfort or lack thereof.

People think I'm nuts for walking around after dark in San Jose, or walking around in the daytime with my laptop and so on. I feel "concerned" and am "careful" yet not afraid to do so.

So yeah, it's all about what one is comfortable with.

I will reiterate though that it may depend on WHERE one will be riding. In the cities it seems dangerous to me for sure, but in the back country it may not be so dangerous depending on the roads one has to take. In some areas the roads may have huge rocks in them, loose gravel, mud, and huge holes in random places, and change from week to week or even day to day. So I would be afraid to ride one on those types of roads.

That said, I know people who do it on those types of roads and the ones I know are still alive. ;-D

Now, if the country roads were paved and not prone to mud or loose gravel or huge holes and/or rocks, I would consider doing it.

Do yourselves a favor and go visit Panama. Costa Rica is finished.

Arnold, in what ways is Panama better than Costa Rica and what area of Panama do you recommend?
I went there 5-6 years ago and really didn't care that much for it. I posted about this in another thread.
[p.s. Seen Mr. Hainey lately? ;-D Maybe he's living in Panama...]