Integration

Hi all.

I have been living in Belgium a little over a year, been married to my husband since May, I live in a small town about 30 minutes from Kortrijk and about an hour from Ghent.

I have been in integration classes that is required by the Flemish part of the government for the past couple of weeks, and I hate it. I absolutely LOATHE Kortrijk, and I am coming to realize that there is indeed a xenophobic element to the Flemish peoples of Northern Belgium.

I am American, and I realize that my nationality does not help my "cause" in some respects...but as I have said to people in private, I am American, NOT AMERICA. I am also half German by birth and quite proud of that fact. I attempt to speak the Dutch, I have been learning but I get shy. The fact is, I gave up A LOT to be with the man I love and I am isolated by it. I miss being able to just have 1 or 2 very close friends to chat with and trust. Silly perhaps, but it is a luxury I miss.

Hey, Yes i also miss the luxary of friends that are close. I go to a expats in gent group a lot do lots of events. As for the integration course Ive heard its aimed at those from very different cultures mostly I have never had to do it however so i dont know. Maybe tell us more about it

I also did the same thing as you gave up my ceerer prospects everything to be with him luckly hes doing well and ive only been here 2 years. Im living in Nazareth Gent

The integration course is 60 hours and is designed for those who intend to live in Belgium permanently or become Belgian(actually Flanders, because only in Flanders are you REQUIRED to take it. Brussels is OPTIONAL and Wallonie does not have an integration course).
The class is basic information such as opening a bank account, insurance, finding a job, social security, how to use the trains and public transport, Belgian history, laws, etc. It has information in it that is useful but most of us know this within the first couple of months of living here. I get the reason why the Flemish have immigrants take the course, I understand but the reason I am having a difficult time with it is, the nationalities that are together in MY course in Kortrijk seem to automatically be set off by the one fact, and one fact only...they are sitting in a room with an American. Why do you ask? White American b**ch was spoken for all to hear, that is what clued me in. I get why my country is disliked, I really really do...but I am American, NOT America. I dread, and I mean dread this class every week now. I miss the small things like just being able to relax and have a nice lunch with a good friend as we talk about life. Now? I would  just like to be able to enjoy a conversation with someone who spoke my language fluently (outside of my husband and his family) and I would NOT have to translate everything in my head, it gets mentally exhausting, and not that people are not friendly...that is it...they are just friendly enough. Nothing deeper or more meaningful, just hi and "geweest?" That is nice and all...yup. It's nice but about as deep as a plate.

Hello,

I'm a Belgian woman abroad so I can relate...

Check these out:

http://expatsinghent.wordpress.com/http://www.oppositeocean.com/about/

Maybe you'll find a kindred spirit there?

Good luck!