Guide me on having a home birth in Malta.

Hi!

IŽm wondering if any of you could guide me on having a home birth in Malta.

I just found out IŽm 3 weeks pregnant of my second baby and my husband just got and excellent job offering in Malta to start this December.

We were living in London but we quit our jobs and have been traveling around the world for a year now, so IŽm not sure if my NHS will still cover for this.

We are thrilled about both news but IŽm a bit concerned about my ante-natal and labour care. I had my first baby in London, it was a home birth and it was a great experience. IŽm planning on having a home birth for my second baby too, if medically possible.

Anyone here knows about home birth care in Malta? I appreciate any guidance in the matter.
Thanks!

Hi Teresa Fernandez,

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

Congratulations!

I have created a new topic with your post on the Malta forum. ;)

Thank you,
All the best,
Christine
Expat.com team

did anyone ever reply?

:up:

Hello Teresa,
I am a recently retired midwife (qualified in UK since 1980) with lots of experience in home births.(UK not Malta)
I am Maltese and hope to be moving to Malta towards the end of January. (providing our house sale does go through)
I do have some contacts with midwives there, but unfortunately I do know that the Maltese NHS is not terribly forward thinking....although the younger midwives are trying to improve things (upward struggle with the hierarchy sometimes who are resisting change)
However many of my friends and my sister had a much better experience privately.
I would love to  meet up with you when in Malta. I do hope to do some antenatal stuff, reflexology, breast feeding support etc etc.in general work around pregnancy and birth. I have no wish to work as a midwife in Malta as I know I will be frustrated with the system....
Best wishes,
Marisa

Chinook, im pm-ing you. Hope you don't mind xx

Teresa, I had homebirths with both my kids in the UK so I will be watching this thread with interest x

Hello Tereza,
You asked about home birth long time ago... but now I am in similar situation, could you please tell me what you found and what you experience in Malta. I will be very grateful!

Hello,
Did you find some informations in Malta for a childbirth at home?? I m on the same situation. Thank you

Hi,

Due to covid I don't think you'll find any docs and midwives willing to do homebirrhs. Even St James have stopped them for now.

Gaelle FTD wrote:

Hello,
Did you find some informations in Malta for a childbirth at home?? I m on the same situation. Thank you

You are unlikely to get an answer from the person you are referring to as the posts are from such a long time ago and they are not active on here, you would be better off starting a new topic.

GozoMo wrote:
Gaelle FTD wrote:

Hello,

You are unlikely to get an answer from the person you are referring to as the posts are from such a long time ago and they are not active on here, you would be better off starting a new topic.

Yeah, why do members respond to 4 year.... old posts and expect an answer? :/