The new terminal - Beware it's a bitching post

Beware - it's a bitching post.

They build a new and luxurious terminal / airport. I must say I expected more.

* I would have expected that for the arrivals, the people would be able to wait inside the building to welcome their relatives / loved ones like in any international modern airport. Why are you keeping them outside?
* Too much lights / lamps turned on, and it was still very much illuminated in the parking lot when we left the airport at almost 07:00 a.m (the sun was up already at 05:45). Why? Why isn't it equipped with sensors to detect day light and shut off the lamps? Why do we (tax payers) need to pay for this huge amount of electricity wasted for nothing?
* Coffee shop is available only on the third floor (as well as toilets). Service is non existent as usual. The very tired (or lazy?) lady took all the time in the world to prepare 2 cups of coffee when we were the only people in the coffee shop. Coffee in my opinion is overpriced (70 Roupies for a mini cup), coffee was almost cold and they used the cheapest milk there is (local Candia milk). They didn't have change (which they should have at all times for a place that works 24 hours a day or almost 24 hours a day) and they even asked us to come back later to pick the change. Come on! You should be prepared for that and not make the customers run around to search for the exact amount. I won't even start talking about the food quality we saw there.

I warned you it's a bitching post... Needed to get some steam out :P

oh dear - not a good first impression for tourists then and all that money spent on it as well!!!!

Hang on - maybe quite a good impression of level of customer service experienced on the island ( outside of hotels!)

- hope you feel better now you've vented - totally understand!  :D

Wow, I did think you would be able to go inside and have a coffee while waiting for family / friends to arrive and then be there to greet them, I am amazed that has not happened. Sounds like the coffee is not worth having anyway :)

Can you go inside with those flying out of Mauritius to see them off on the departure side?

It is certainly a shame if all that money was spent and it is not a very nice modern and user friendly airport.  Maybe time will improve facilities and service.  Well it might :)

Its a shame, but as usual ay be we have expeted too much form the same who did the same mistake since long..

I remember the first airport people could go upstair and see the plane taking off and landing there was a little restaurant upstair where we loved to buy icecreamm while staring at the plane etc,...

when they started with the actuall airport we were all thinking things owould be better, helas, people were disapointed, even more cause people could not see any more the plane taking off or landing...and worse waiting outside for familly to come out

I dont want to enter into political discussion, how ever i will target my fustration toward all those artchitec, designers , director of project etc.. whom for me are just incompetent...

and hoping one day thing will be done properly with logic and being rational

that all folks!!!!

I will comment about my experience when I go to Mauritius next year :P

LOL...darn...indeed a very bitching post...
Its not even 2 weeks since the new terminal opened...

@sovereign-yacht
Being a Mozambican living in Geneva, how much do you know about MRU politics? I am curious to know.

Sleeping Cookie

I guess you haven't followed local politics. It's the GF of someone VIP ( ;) ) who has the contracts for the coffee shop  and IIRC the duty free shop . I guess , when one does not have competition, one can do what one wants.

To  Kaviraj,

One may have shed away  one's Mauritian citizenship or residency for personal reasons or professional requirements  but those whose " nombril fine enterrer dans la terre moricienne" know and follow the politics of the island, either because they are still paying taxes on their assets to said govt or maintain a link with the country of their parents or ancestors.

Sovereign-yatch is right when he said:
"I remember the first airport people could go upstair and see the plane taking off and landing there was a little restaurant upstair where we loved to buy icecreamm while staring at the plane etc,..."

BTW:  one  has to rely on  CSCEC (China State Construction Engineering Corporation) responsible for  developing the design ( sic) and construction in collaboration with ADPI, the  French company specialized in airport architecture and engineering and  a fully owned subsidiary of the Aéroports de Paris Group. ( God knows how well the travellers going through Paris  love CDG and its installations- my sarcasm here)

Yes, we all know about the main mistress... ;) Sad....

First time greeting family at the new airport.
I liked the space, I don't mind waiting outside as it is still quite pleasant but no way to have there a coffee or anything else and the waiting time seems to be as long as before (maybe because they are still making their steps in this new terminal). The only coffee shop is at level 2, above the departures. It is a small place, very ordinary, and with no information panels or messages. The prices seem to have raise a lot. To me, something important as a nice greeting area is really missing.

Hello everybody.For me anyway the new terminal is better than the older terminal.Mauritius should have already such airport since before not now.As for departure relatives and friends are allowed inside that's better and for arrival relatives can see their family from inside.For those who don't understand why relative can't be allowed inside for arrival it's just a matter of International Airport security.For example drugs etc.For coffee no way at airway cofee lol.
Cheers

I doubt it's a matter of "International Airport Security" considering at the busiest airport in the world ( Heathrow London) visitors can go inside to either see off or greet passengers and plenty to do, eat and see while you wait! Yes they're not allowed past a certain point thats all, but the facilites while waiting are amazing. It's run like a business!

Marusya, same as relatives and friends are allowed in for departure until a certain point, same should be for arrivals. The "security" reason is BS. In all major international airports relatives and friends can wait inside for arrivals, so there's no reason it can't be done in Mauritius.

Hi to all ignorant that's Mauritius!!If you are not happy please write complain to prime minister officeor to Atol instead of bla bla bla.If in some international airport like heathrow london they authorized relatives so not Mauritius that's the law.For info french of aeroport de paris recommendation for security so wat??Mauritius is number 1 in drugs activities in africa will again tell to everyone to respect the security interior government.

The bla bla is normal mate, cause this is a forum!!! exchange of ideas and point of view.

Drugs control, security measure etc..this is bla bla bla, we are in Mauritius not in washington!!

I end up here and dont forget we have the right to give our opinion and respect the opinion of others.;)

I respect the opinion of others did you respect mine.Why to compare such small island airport to others.For me the government of mauritius make a good initiative of building new terminal.
Expat.com is a forum to be positive not negative.
God bless mauritius.

vancouverboy77 - actually I don't think calling people ignorant is respectful!

That aside, we are only discussing positives AND negatives. Yes its a great initiative to build a new airport - the design is cool from what I've seen of the pics and we had such high expectations for it. A modern, brand new airport should surely have modern, brand new facilities and services, shouldn't it?

The initial post by sleeping cookie was just showing some dissappointment in what could be something better - and she was just venting! don't take it personally ; CHILLAX! :|

gurj wrote:

vancouverboy77 - actually I don't think calling people ignorant is respectful!

That aside, we are only discussing positives AND negatives. Yes its a great initiative to build a new airport - the design is cool from what I've seen of the pics and we had such high expectations for it. A modern, brand new airport should surely have modern, brand new facilities and services, shouldn't it?

The initial post by sleeping cookie was just showing some dissappointment in what could be something better - and she was just venting! don't take it personally ; CHILLAX! :|

LOL...get used to calling people names babe...we are in Mauritius!!

Now coming to the airport, it's good to discuss and criticize but there must some iota of rationality.

The new terminal and the vicinity have been designed according to a plan devised after a feasibility study and taking into consideration future expansion and development.
I don't think not allowing people to go upstairs to watch planes taking off and landing is not being 'modern'. There are guidelines and rules attached to any project and this one is no exception.

Setting up facilities to allow families and friends to watch their relatives taking off would have probably meant modifications in the structure and therefore major alterations in the project as a whole.
Keep in mind the new terminal has been designed by French architects and built and financed to a large extent by the Chinese. Mauritius is only paying back the loan.

The new terminal's main purpose is to act as a new facility to cater to the increasing number of passengers and airline traffic, not to please everyone according to his/her own needs.
At the end of the day, the terminal is only a big business entity to generate turnover and profits.
Bitching around whether it is on an online forum or on the street will serve no purpose as it's business that matters. And surely no viewpoint will be added just because Madam X or Y feels the need to see her peers flying away.

P.S: Airway Coffee Ltd generates hundreds of millions in annual turnover and millions again in profits (the figures are for the old terminal with only ONE coffee shop, now it's three) and as many has mentioned (Mistress stuff), the label is there to stay and no one will be able to do anything about it, surely not by complaining about the type of milk being used!

So chill out and go on with your life people ;)

sovereign-yacht wrote:

The bla bla is normal mate, cause this is a forum!!! exchange of ideas and point of view.

Drugs control, security measure etc..this is bla bla bla, we are in Mauritius not in washington!!

I end up here and dont forget we have the right to give our opinion and respect the opinion of others.;)

Just have to go to Reagan National in DC ( really Virginia across the Potomac) and everyone and his brother can go inside to greet  their friends exiting the baggage areas.

The authorities want to be too important - only VIP can use the VIP lounge  ( including their ilks )
Speaking of drugs, well a well-known lady who is currently  in prison was greeted in the VIP lounge coming from France, wasn't she?

Hello guys.

Could you just calm down please?

Please keep in mind that Expat.com is a Forum, where you may exchange your views and experiences while avoiding personal attacks :dumbom:

Thank you for your understanding.

Peace ;)
Karen
Expat.com.