Vehicle Ownership In Belgium

Hi People, l have a question that until now l can get no answer for out of the country. The reason for my question is that l have found vehicles for sale in Belgium that are not available in any other country in Europe, unless l buy new.

To own a vehicle in Belgium must l be a Resident?
Can l keep my UK driving licence too and drive that vehicle?
Can l use a 'drop' address so that l can receive anything from the relevant authorities?
Does anyone have or know one of these if necessary?

I do not plan to move to Belgium but have lived in Nederlands, now l have businesses in Spain and Portugal but also have not thought about transferring the number plates to either of those countries as these vehicles will travel to Belgium/Uk in the future on business. Thank You.

brianmarshall wrote:

Hi People, l have a question that until now l can get no answer for out of the country. The reason for my question is that l have found vehicles for sale in Belgium that are not available in any other country in Europe, unless l buy new.

To own a vehicle in Belgium must l be a Resident?
Can l keep my UK driving licence too and drive that vehicle?
Can l use a 'drop' address so that l can receive anything from the relevant authorities?
Does anyone have or know one of these if necessary?

I do not plan to move to Belgium but have lived in Nederlands, now l have businesses in Spain and Portugal but also have not thought about transferring the number plates to either of those countries as these vehicles will travel to Belgium/Uk in the future on business. Thank You.

No you do not need to be resident and there is a separate type of number plate too, they are red background and white numbers/letters. Different tax and insurance I suppose for them. I know someone who drives one of these cars whilst the non resident family are not in the country, the car goes back to the family when they are on holiday back here.

Yes you can keep your UK driving licence if you still live in the UK, but it must remain valid (expire after 10 years, millions of expired ones where people have forgotten to renew).

That was quick, Thank You. May l clarify a couple of things.
I am not and will not be Resident in Belgium
I am resident in Portugal and Spain
The vehicle will be used in connection with my businesses
It will need insurance in Belgium
It cannot be insured in any other country

Therefore l will need an 'address' to register and insure it, can l use an 'accommodation address'?