New to Lausanne!

Hi all!

I am moving to Lausanne with my job at  end of October and have so many questions i would like answering and a lot of help needed as moving to a new place can be quite daunting but also very much excited!

Any ideas on where i can find furnished accomodation before i head over! Need a secured place to live.

How do i find my way around lausanne?

How do i meet new people?

Any help would be appriciated.:D

Lauren

Hi Lauren,

Welcome to Expat-Blog :)

I suggest you should post an advert in the Properties for rent in Lausanne section please and don't forget to mention "furnished" :)

You can browse through the Forum and participate to the discussions as this might help to get in touch with friendly members :)

To meet new people I guess you just need to out and about and just talk to people and ask questions or just being friendly. Just be street smart though and careful :)

Thank you

Maximilien
Expat-blog Team

Hi Lauren,

Any chance the company you work for can help you out with your apartment search? It can be quite tough to find one as the demand is much, much higher than the supply in Lausanne.

As Maximilien said, check out the properties section on this site and see if that helps. Alternatively you could try searching the Anibis website - www.anibis.ch - as they have lots of apartments advertised (it's in French so remember to search for "meublé" as that means furnished).

Do you speak much French? If so, you shouldn't have any problems once you move here. Generally speaking people are friendly, and as long as you make the effort to speak the local language then you will feel more welcome. It does take some time to make new friends here (I've been here for 4 years and only have a couple of local friends) but as long as you make the effort you will be fine.

You will almost certainly be asked where you come from, what you do, etc, quite often, as Swiss people like to find out more about you very quickly (almost feels like they are interrogating you sometimes). You might find them quite guarded to begin with, but be polite and open and they should warm up to you.

If you struggle with meeting new local people, you can always try joining a sports club or taking part in social events organised by expats.

In terms of finding your way around, it depends on what you want to see or where you want to go. Lausanne has a good public transport system (t-l, or transport Lausanne) that has many bus lines and 2 metro lines (the m1 and m2). Alternatively it's nice to stroll around the center and the old town, but be prepared to climb some pretty steep hills! :)

As I mentioned above, I've been in the Lausanne area for 4 years now so if you need any other advice or tips feel free to ask! :)

Paul

[moderated: off topic]

Thanks for your reply paul.

I know a small amount of french but willing to definately learn a little more whilst living in Lausanne.

Still looking into flatshares and enquiring about a few and have a place to stay until I start my new job. But may need to stay there a little longer if I dont find anywhere.

Would it be possible to keep in contact?

My email address is [email protected]

Thanks again

Lauren

Hi again Lauren,

Sure, I'll send you my email address, feel free to ask me as many questions as you need, hopefully some of my experience since being here can be of help! :)

By the way, will you be working in Lausanne or somewhere nearby? The public transport system is great so that's a big help to find your way around!

Best of luck with the apartment search, from looking on the Anibis website there are certainly quite a few flat shares ("colocation") out there!

Enjoy Switzerland! :)

Paul