Buy plane ticket (Air Jet) to Phu Quoc island...airport vs. agency ?

what is the best way (meaning saving time and money) to buy airplane tickets to Phu Quoc?  I heard that VietJet Air is cheaper than Vietnam Airline.

Do you save time / money by walking into any of the travel Agency (on Pham Ngu Lao) and buy plane tickets this way or do you drive to the airport and buy it there? 

I will arrive in HCMC on November 1 but won't fly to Phu Quoc until November 20....so I have time.  What is the best way please?

THANKS,
TT

If you have credit card, buy online is the best way :D
Otherwise when you come here buy from agents. If you go airport, not sure it's available that day.

A reputable travel agent is always better than an airline ticket rep.

Go to Kiên Giang on bus, then take a ferry to Phú quốc. save you money and more fun :D, but take more time ( about 10 hours to get there)

10 hrs? Lol, holy s***!
Fork out abit more $ and save time!

yeah. only if you have time, and enjoy the journey there

It's actually not that bad, take the overnight bus and just sleep all the way to Kien Giang, then 45min ferry to Phu Quoc.  BUT it can be very rough at sea (about half the people had to use the barf bags).  I took it there and then flew back.

cang_nduc wrote:

Go to Kiên Giang on bus, then take a ferry to Phú quốc. save you money and more fun :D, but take more time ( about 10 hours to get there)

Hey that sounds like fun.  Does the ferry carry motorbikes?  Or is it a passenger-only ferry?  What's the fare?

the bus ticket from Saigon to Rach Giá should be around 150k vnd, and the ferry from RG to Phú Quốc cost 300-350k/person.
anyway, it's about 6 hours from SG - RG, and 2:30-3 hours RG-Phú Quốc on ferry.
Ferry does carry your motorbikes :D

cang_nduc wrote:

the bus ticket from Saigon to Rach Giá should be around 150k vnd, and the ferry from RG to Phú Quốc cost 300-350k/person.
anyway, it's about 6 hours from SG - RG, and 2:30-3 hours RG-Phú Quốc on ferry.
Ferry does carry your motorbikes :D

I did not know there was a ferry at Rạch Giá City.  Thought it would be closer to the Cambodian border since that would be the shortest route for a ferry to run.  Thanks for the info.

yeah, there's also another ferry in Hà Tiên, take 1h30' to get to Phú Quốc,

If you want to book a flight ticket,it's easy and probably cheaper to do it on-line.Last minute flights with Vietnam Airlines and Viet-Jet tend to be more expensive.There's no bus to "Kien Giang" Kien Giang is the name of the province,it's not a town.The ferry from Rach Gia takes 2.5-3 hours,it's largely across open sea,and at this time of year can be really rough.The ferry from Ha Tien takes 80 minutes,and as the journey is in mostly shallow water between the island and the mainland coast,it's generally not as rough(But it can be on occasion)

oasisbarhatien wrote:

...There's no bus to "Kien Giang" Kien Giang is the name of the province,it's not a town.....

Good info on the two ferries. 

Although you are technically correct, you cannot buy a ticket to Kiên Giang Province as a final destination when you go to a ticket booth, buses do however go "to Kiên Giang".  Just like airplanes can go to England.  You just have to specifically ask for a ticket to a specific an airport inside England.

If the original poster didn't know Kiên Giang was not a "ticketable" destination, then cang_nduc should have said "Go to Rạch Giá City on bus, then take a ferry to Phú quốc."  since the person could get a bus ticket with the destination of Rạch Giá City.

Tran Hung Dao wrote:

Just like airplanes can go to England.

They certainly do and I dread every minute of those flights! There's just something about English cuisines that give me slight uneasiness about going there!

As for flying/bussing to KienGiang/RachGia....I'd personally will always go by ground as in my biased opinion, the Mekong Delta is the most pretty area of Vietnam.  Better to see it from 8 feet above the ground. Always!

Well, I took the bus a few times from Saigon to Rach Gia but the LOUD volume of the NON STOP DVD they put in the bus is killing me. We asked them many times if they could lower the volume, but it seems it's part of the culture (or the bus company) to put loud music and shows through the journey.

I'll always take the plane now to go to Rach Gia, but the flights are at 6am, ouch!

PS: On the bus from Saigon to Rach Gia, you really don't see much beauty of the Mekong Delta as far as I can remember...

WillyBaldy wrote:

Well, I took the bus a few times from Saigon to Rach Gia but the LOUD volume of the NON STOP DVD they put in the bus is killing me. We asked them many times if they could lower the volume, but it seems it's part of the culture (or the bus company) to put loud music and shows through the journey.

Don't blame you there....even as a Vietnamese, I find that extremely annoying...and I don't see anyone watching anyways..

Vietjet is fine but always delayed!!!!

My experience has always been that you pay a tad bit more via an agent. I too have found VN airlines the most expensive.

lily.tran83 wrote:

Vietjet is fine but always delayed!!!!

WOW...VietJet ticket = $23 USD;  Vietnam Airline ticket = $69 USD. 

Talking about BIG difference. This is ridiculous.  I guess we'll try VietJet.

Check out the charge for any luggage. You may be shocked.

bta87 wrote:

Check out the charge for any luggage. You may be shocked.

OK...now you are scaring me. I have a small carry on (12 lbs) and my wife has a small carry on (10 lbs). VietJet Airline must allow at least 1 carry on...right?  I mean no one fly empty handed.

Thuy4tien,
    Then your in good shape. I just looked on their website and they allow 7kg of carry on luggage.
Any checked though, like most of the deep discounters over here, there is a charge.

Yes, I often use VietjetAir. Although it's not much lower than Vietnam Airlines after tax and other charges, it's still acceptable. Dont buy ticket at agencies as airfare is always higher. Wish you a good trip there!!!

The last three times I've been to Rạch Giá for a visit, I've taken the bus from Sài Gòn to Rạch Giá. Each time I chose to take the Futa bus line, since they have the reclining beds/seats. This makes the 6 hour trip very bearable, especially since I drown out the loud Paris by Night video with my headphones.  :D  I haven't got around to traveling to Phú Quốc yet, but when I do, I think I'll fly and by pass getting sea sick.

http://flightbooking.vn/booking/info  Good service and good price!

Is Vietnam airlines, the only carrier that flies into Rạch Giá?

incon3037r wrote:

Is Vietnam airlines, the only carrier that flies into Rạch Giá?

Yes. More fly to Phu Quoc.

Thanks Jaitch

Jetstar also flies to Phu Quoc and somethings have lower prices.  I usually take VietJetAir and book on there website @ vietjetair.com - BUT beware that if you have extra luggage, they will ding you. 

The ferry (SUPERDONG) price is now 350,000VND one way.  You get dropped off at Vong Beach in Phu Quoc where you can catch a xe om, taxi, or shared minivan into town.

TIP: For booking a flight via vietjet air, keep going back... they sometimes have glitches or the price drops a lot for a period of time and you can take advantage of it.  There website sucks and sometimes you get forced out.

The ferry ride is not so bad.... but if you eat a full meal before you go on board, you will throw up :P  For me, the ferry ride is a "Tour" :)  That whole area is a UNESCO world biosphere reserve, so enjoy it.

For ferry details check out: [link moderated]

I recommend that you fly though.  It's only 45minutes.  Just be aware of the other costs like: taxi costs to and from airport, wait time at airport, etc...

Enjoy Phu Quoc and Happy Holidays!

AustriaKarl wrote:

IN VIETNAM, ONLY buy tickets from AIRLINES DIRECTLY.

VN Travel Agents are rip-offs and most do exactly what you do - call the airline for a ticket!

REAL Travel Agents have to be licenced by IATA, and this means buying a bond and having lots of money in the bank. IATA agents can book on-line whereas 'pretend' agents can't.

travelsoulja wrote:

The ferry (SUPERDONG) price is now 350,000VND one way.  You get dropped off at Vong Beach in Phu Quoc where you can catch a xe om, taxi, or shared minivan into town.

The ferry ride is not so bad.... For me, the ferry ride is a "Tour".  That whole area is a UNESCO world biosphere reserve, so enjoy it.

The SuperDong is stabilised so the ride is pretty smooth.

You can also take your motorcycle! (For a fee)

Super Dong Ferries
OFFICE IN TP HCM
12 Nguyen Ngoc Loc,  Ward 14
District 10, HCMC.
Tel: +84-(0)-8-3866-6333

Only buy direct!

And @incon3037r is right - take a bus! BUT for the TALL or FAT people - do not use a sleeper! There are bus lines with normal seats to Rach Gia.

And don't forget your passports!

P.S. Rach Gia has great seafood and seafood restaurants.

Jaitch wrote:
AustriaKarl wrote:

IN VIETNAM, ONLY buy tickets from AIRLINES DIRECTLY.

VN Travel Agents are rip-offs and most do exactly what you do - call the airline for a ticket!

REAL Travel Agents have to be licenced by IATA, and this means buying a bond and having lots of money in the bank. IATA agents can book on-line whereas 'pretend' agents can't.

BS like allways. This agent is exact the same price then the airlines direct booking. No problems and if you like to change your flight ther are very helpfull oposite to the airlines.

AustriaKarl wrote:

BS like allways. This agent is exact the same price then the airlines direct booking. No problems and if you like to change your flight ther are very helpfull oposite to the airlines.

Our friend from 'Austria' is back from Christmas break.

When you learn the difference between an IATA-appointed agent and what VNese call 'travel agents', you will understand. You will also understand about 'bonding'.

VNese travel agents simply call the airline, make a reservation - just like you do - then they stick you with a fee - hidden or otherwise. How else does an agent make profit on a non-commissioned sale?

Next one, Karl?