Residing in India (from US)

I have been reading many facets of Hinduism for over 13 years. I get disability (SSDI), and I've heard you can receive it while abroad. However, I don't know Indian rules on this. I would love to live in and travel within India, and so on, but the rules seem to say you can only stay for 5 years,  and, within that, you can only stay 6 months  at a time.  I just needed to know if this is the case, or there are more rules than I know of allowing one to reside in india longer.

Thank you,
mikec

Mike,

Being an American, who is also married to an Indian citizen, I am well versed (or so I tend to think) in the visa regulations. I have no clue about your disability payments.

However, I am not sure where you got the only stay for 5 years part... that is not true. There are new rules being put up. You can apply (and possibly get, as I am not sure of the status of them anymore) a 10-year tourist visa. HOWEVER with the new visa regulations that are being put upon tourist visa's, you are only allowed to stay 180 days at a stretch, and once you leave you are not allowed back in for 2 months.

The only way to be able to reside longer in India are : if you are eligible for PIO (person of indian origin) card / OCI (overseas citizen of india). They are essentially the same thing, except the only people who can get OCI are people who are Indian by birth. PIO is given to spouses of Indians.

Hope this helps!

~ Stephanie ~

That helps Very much, Stephanie, thank you!

not a problem :)