Paradise Tax

Rarely does Roberto have much to say about the downside of living in Puerto Rico, but he's dedicated a new blog post detailing his experiences with Internet and power outages, as well as a few other topics here:

http://robertospuertorico.com/paradise- … ing-in-pr/

Anyone considering a move to PR may find this info useful for their research. Be sure to read the comments from other expats at the end of the past, too.

We're not quite ready for the big move yet, but one thing I'm always curious about for the future is Internet service. I work online, often with deadlines, so reliable access is a must for me. Anyone care to contribute any useful advice beyond what's in Robertos post?

Haven't read the blog yet but in addition to finding reliable internet (or any kind of service for that matter), one would have to make sure you live in an area where the electricity is reliable too. Close to a hospital is your best bet for that. In addition get a good reliable generator. Then there is the rapidly rising electrical rates to deal with. That will definitely cut heavily into your income source via the internet. If you have products you need to ship off the island your rates will be the same as in the states if you use the US Mail. It just might take a day or two or three longer to get there. However it can cost a fortune to have products or supplies sent to you because not all suppliers use the US Mail and UPS considers PR a foreign or overseas shipment and charges out the.. well you know.

I think a good internet business is the way to go just about anywhere you live, especially if you don't have to rely on the local economy for your living.