Moving to Stockton from England

Hello all,
I am currently in a position where I may be offered a professional position in Stockton and would like to know more about the place if any locals have the time.
Which areas are good to rent in? Which areas are particularly bad?
What is there to do in Stockton? Moving from England I will likely spend my early days acting like a tourist and visiting large parts of California in general but is there much to do in the area after my honeymoon period has faded?
Is it really as crime ridden as the internet would lead me to believe? I'm sure you may run into trouble if you're a meth smoking gang member but how safe is it for the average law abiding person?
Sorry for the list of questions but this is a once in a lifetime opportunity for me and I would like to assess the situation before moving 4000 miles from my comfortable yet dreary little island to a strange land far away.
Thank you in advance.

Yes, Stockton has a high crime rate. And the city went bankrupt in April of this year, so city services (such as police) were affected. The housing bubble hit hard there. Stockton got hammered from many angles due to the recession, and is not fully recovered yet.

I lived in the central valley for many years, so something else to consider is it can get very hot there in the summer. I was a desert rat, so the heat never bothered me, but if you are not used to hot weather it can be physically taxing.

What is great about living in the Central Valley is you have excellent access to both the Sierra Mountains and Pacific Ocean within a 90ish minute drive.... if you have a car and assuming no traffic jams (it is California after all, so expect traffic jams). Go skiing one day. Go to the beach the next.

Stockton dosnt have much of a nightlife scene most people go to Sacramento or San Francisco for a special night out. The mayor is young and is trying to change things so hopefully he will fulfill his promise about that.

Yes there is a lot of crime. If you get a car make sure you take all the security precautions.

After a while you will probably be making a lot of weekend road trips.