2013 Honda Sh 150 Vietnamese Made?

Back on the topic of the thread... I bought mine today.:D I do believe it's better than the 2008 Italian import I used to own. (Better than the 2008 in 2008 - not a 5 year-old bike)

This is more my style

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/543946_405729382861869_420746153_n.jpg

Hot bike...

Is that 600CC?
I like Màu đỏ-đen version :D

VungTauDon wrote:

This is more my style

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/ … 6153_n.jpg

Clement Chong wrote:

Hot bike...

Bike? What bike?:D

Both, actually! :D

jimbream wrote:
Clement Chong wrote:

Hot bike...

charmavietnam wrote:

Both, actually! :D

jimbream wrote:
Clement Chong wrote:

Hot bike...

Well played.

hi andy.

which shop u buy from?

moonman wrote:

hi andy.

which shop u buy from?

This one :

Xô Viết Nghệ Tĩnh, Phường 17, Bình Thạnh

Actually I dont mind riding that!

I am very happy with my PCX 125cc
I weigh 100kilos and I took my Aussie mate who weighs in at 115kl and after coming out of the Thu Thiem Tunnel I accelerated to 100 clicks in a very short distance scaring the sh*t out of him. He wasnt expecting the bike to have such power. It amazed me too. I stick to the speed limit every where else but we had a clear road and no traffic at the time.
http://s5.postimg.org/xgna9gfdz/Kim_and_Pierre_on_Honda_PCX_1.jpg
the helmet is an import from America and set me back $120 but comfortable and not the usual brain scoop sold here.
I advise anyone who buys a Honda PCX to get the after market rear seat padding as it stops the passenger falling off the back when accelerating.
For 350000d you can have the whole bike gel coated which protects when the parking guys stack all the bikes together. Replace it every year or two depending how tatty it gets.

30k $ , u can buy a car u know .

Khuyen nguyen wrote:

30k $ , u can buy a car u know .

To whom are you referring with this post? It helps if you quote the post referenced before making comments like this.

khanh44 wrote:

why do you need ABS in Vietnam?

Exactly, just something else to go wrong, I bought a new Honda Future X EFI, within 3 months, the brake light sticks on, and the horn doesn't work, ( if a VN owned it, without a horn , he would have to buy a new bike ), it stopped working because I never used it????
6 months later, the front exhaust pipe was rusted out, you can't just buy a new front pipe as with most other Honda's, they tried to sell me a complete exhaust system, ( an hour with the MIG and it was better than new ).

khanh44 wrote:

ABS is a viable safety feature anywhere, particularly where wet roads are involved, as in VN during rainy season. I've had 3 accidents during my years of riding here. One of them wouldn't have happened if the bike I was riding had ABS. A Vietnamese was going the wrong way, headed straight toward me (surprise surprise - how many times has that scenario been posted on this blog?), and I had no choice but to make a panic stop. Even though I was on dry pavement, the bike went down. Fortunately, I wasn't hurt, and of course the guy just sat there, looking at me. When I jumped up and confronted him about being a flaming idiot, (I'm sure he understood none of my expletives) he drove off. (Ohhh...maybe he was waiting to see if I was OK?)

Honda is manufacturing the SH for the European market with ABS now, but is probably leaving it off the VN-made models as a cost cutting measure to keep the price as low as possible for the VN market. Also, the Euro models now look exactly the same as the VN models. As with so many other manufactured goods, I'm sure it's just a matter of time before all SHs will be made in VN and exported out to other countries.

I can vouch for the safety of having ABS on my PCX. Several times it has saved me from T-boning an idiot running a red light. Pulls up fast without skidding. Great system.

saigonmonkey wrote:
khanh44 wrote:

Fortunately, I wasn't hurt, and of course the guy just sat there, looking at me. When I jumped up and confronted him about being a flaming idiot, (I'm sure he understood none of my expletives) he drove off. (Ohhh...maybe he was waiting to see if I was OK?)

(Ohhh...maybe he was waiting to see if I was OK?) :lol:

SAY WHAT ??? :o

First rule the VN's use if they cause anyone else to crash is to DI - DI as fast as they can !
Unless they figure they can fall over as well then come to some financial arrangement with you - for their benefit only of course. :rolleyes:

I've had an older VN guy came up not even 1/2 way along side the rear wheel of my bike, stopped for about 15 seconds then deliberately lent his really old bike onto the rear of mine. He then promptly fell on his opposite side onto the road dragging his bike with him. Bits and pieces came off his bike everywhere while he rolled on the road moaning, yelling and clutching each of his legs one after the other.
I did exactly what any good VN motorbike rider would do - told him "Cứng shit NGỐC!" and promptly left. :P

Flip465 wrote:
saigonmonkey wrote:

(Ohhh...maybe he was waiting to see if I was OK?)

:lol: SAY WHAT ??? :o

Flip, I assume you know I was joking about that. The incident occurred in front of the wet market on Tan My street in Q7. There were people everywhere, and everyone saw it was his fault. That's probably the only reason he didn't DI-DI-DI right away.

saigonmonkey wrote:
Flip465 wrote:
saigonmonkey wrote:

Flip, I assume you know I was joking about that. The incident occurred in front of the wet market on Tan My street in Q7. There were people everywhere, and everyone saw it was his fault. That's probably the only reason he didn't DI-DI-DI right away.

Was he doing the usual thing for a VN, when they have stuffed up big time? ( standing there with the big smile, about to nervously laugh ).

bluenz wrote:

Was he doing the usual thing for a VN, when they have stuffed up big time? ( standing there with the big smile, about to nervously laugh ).

No, actually he just sat there expressionless, waited for me to finish my rant against him, then drove off. When I first came here, that smiling and nervous laughing would really set me off. After I learned that's their coping mechanism, and they really don't mean anything by it, I can look past it now. So all of you reading this who are new to Vietnam, if a local does something wrong with/to you and smiles/laughs about it, don't get more upset - it means they know they screwed up, and are sorry about it.

saigonmonkey wrote:
bluenz wrote:

No, actually he just sat there expressionless, waited for me to finish my rant against him, then drove off. When I first came here, that smiling and nervous laughing would really set me off. After I learned that's their coping mechanism, and they really don't mean anything by it, I can look past it now. So all of you reading this who are new to Vietnam, if a local does something wrong with/to you and smiles/laughs about it, don't get more upset - it means they know they screwed up, and are sorry about it.

Same here, it's very frustrating when you think, that they think it is just a big joke.
   I've been past several accidents lately, involving VN's, may have even been a Honda SH 150 involved, ( back on subject ), and apart from the usual 50 --100 spectators,( depends on the time it happened ),  the people involved in the accident, ( I think it was them ), appear to be having a fair old screaming match, a couple of times I've see boys, holding each others shirt collars, about to punch each other.  Also very hard to avoid the spectators sometimes, they will just stop anywhere on the road and sit there and watch.

saigonmonkey wrote:
Flip465 wrote:
saigonmonkey wrote:

:lol: That's usually the way it goes.
As long as no-one gets hurt there's usually a crowd standing around just watching in a just few moments - it's their free entertainment for the day. ;)
Especially if it involves an expat. That's always good for an extra bit of entertaining fun for everyone. :D:rolleyes::lol::lol::lol:

laidbackfreak wrote:

I paid list price, but got a few other goodies n gifts thrown in...
total including registration in my name 88.8 mill

I am comparing this to a Vespa. It would seem that the Vespa is as good or a better buy. Can anyone shed light on what that would not be true. The quality on the Vespa seems so much better.

For me it comes down to personal taste. I like the SH better.

VungTauDon wrote:

For me it comes down to personal taste. I like the SH better.

I'd agree with this, I'm not a fan of the Vespa style.

I will say that there is nothing cuter than seeing a cute girl riding a Vespa with matching helmet.

bta87 wrote:
laidbackfreak wrote:

I am comparing this to a Vespa. It would seem that the Vespa is as good or a better buy. Can anyone shed light on what that would not be true. The quality on the Vespa seems so much better.

From personal experience of the 150cc these points come to mind.
-the starter motor is not the best quality,my guess is that brand of starter/throw out bearing overheats so close to the motor.
-the front suspension is terribly undersprung.Bottoms out a lot.
-she's a thirsty thing.
-hates water.

jimbream wrote:
bta87 wrote:
laidbackfreak wrote:

From personal experience of the 150cc these points come to mind.
-the starter motor is not the best quality,my guess is that brand of starter/throw out bearing overheats so close to the motor.
-the front suspension is terribly undersprung.Bottoms out a lot.
-she's a thirsty thing.
-hates water.

Jimbream,
  Which are you referring to"?
  VTG I'm not wearing a matching helmet, at least not around you:lol:

This is more of what I am thinking about.

http://m5.i.pbase.com/o4/96/635896/1/147623825.IwNWBQoB.stylishsco_ilview.jpg

bta87 wrote:

bta87, you're not really comparing apples to apples when it comes to the Vespa and Honda SH. The SH is a bigger bike with bigger wheels and tires. I would agree with you that the quality of the Vespa is good, but don't know if better than the SH. Laidbackfreak and I prefer the SH because we're big guys (I'm 190cm tall and 90kg. He's close to that as well.) The Vespa is smallish for me. Furthermore, the larger wheels on the SH provide a more stable feel at higher speeds.

Another advantage of the new design SH is that it's considered a mild hybrid. It has an idle-stop feature that shuts down the engine at stoplights, and an integrated electric motor to spin the engine up when it's time to go. There's virtually no lag at startup - you can start off as fast as any regular bike. I've owned an Italian-made SH and now a VN-made one. I think the quality of the VN-made is just as good, and the fuel economy with the idle-stop is as good in city driving as my Italian-made SH was on the open road. I got over 97mpg driving around HCMC on my last tank. I'm pretty sure I can crack 100 if I stay off the throttle a little more.

If you want a Vespa, I can't say you're making a bad decision - they're good bikes. As Laidbackfreak said, it's a personal choice. But there are just as many "honeys" riding around on SHs as there are Vespas. :D

SM,
   Thanks, I'm new to this so need all the help I can get. I too am on the larger side of big, 205# and 6'. I had thought the all metal body would last better etc.

SH300i's rock.  But the price here in VN is import only I think - so more than double.  Where can I get a 300cc engine and have it fitted.  That would be a nice belate christmas present.  With the ABS (surely an option on a 150i?), the stopping would be ok too.  Any other problem for this master plan?  (I know a mechanic...)

^ Highly unlikely on all fronts. The 150 and 300 really aren't the same bikes. They look similar, but the 300 is NOT a 150 with a 300 engine installed in it. The architecture is different. The peripherals for the 300 engine are different. By the time you did all that is necessary to make it work, you might as well buy a 300. And ABS is NOT an option in Vietnam.  I'm a 150 owner who has studied 300s. So you can take my word for most of this.

Dr. Evil, instead of trying to "Frankenstein" a bike you'll never be able to properly utilize on Vietnam roads anyway, why not consider something like this:

http://news.zing.vn/Honda-SH-2012-phong … multimedia

Sure beats trying to blow up the moon with a giant laser.

i saw the word "ferrari" in the last picture, encouraging, but what is it?  An advert?

Actually, I went to a honda dealer today in hanoi aND WAS QUOTED 79mill for a 150i, (80 for certain colours), 69mill for the 125i, and 59 for that mode thing (good for the wife's bike).

I always thought the price of these were out of reach, and poor value, but now i've discovered they're half the price!  Different proposition altogether.  Hate the idea of buying a new bike but this is now good value, and you comments comparing the italy model vs the vn model were welcome.  I used to have a 137HP bike so I do miss that smile factor, but I'm willing to forgo that now i don't have a car, to get the old shopping on board.  Hence my OP

i wonder whether the locals will value them as highly.  They simply VALUE, after all, everyone knowing that they can afford it.

simplest2remember wrote:

i saw the word "ferrari" in the last picture, encouraging, but what is it?  An advert?

No. It's actually my bike. It's on that website because of all the custom work I did to it. You can't buy one like that at the Honda shop. That one was the standard black/silver version before I had the extreme makeover done to it. The black/red theme was inspired by a black Ferrari F40 - hence the Ferrari mention.

simplest2remember wrote:

Actually, I went to a honda dealer today in hanoi aND WAS QUOTED 79mill for a 150i, (80 for certain colours), 69mill for the 125i, and 59 for that mode thing (good for the wife's bike).

79/80 mill for a 150i is correct, but after taxes, etc are added, it'll be closer to 89 mill.

simplest2remember wrote:

I always thought the price of these were out of reach, and poor value, but now i've discovered they're half the price!  Different proposition altogether.  Hate the idea of buying a new bike but this is now good value, and you comments comparing the italy model vs the vn model were welcome.

The reason for the half price is simple: Honda's costs for the Italian vs. Vietnamese models are about the same (VN probably lower due to lower labor cost). However, the difference is the VN import tax on the Italian models. Furthermore, now that the SH is made in VN, the VN government has increased the tax even more, and an Italian-made SH 150 will cost you upwards of $11,000 USD.

simplest2remember wrote:

i wonder whether the locals will value them as highly.  They simply VALUE, after all, everyone knowing that they can afford it.

The locals who have more money than brains do NOT value the VN-made SH as highly. They THINK the Italian-made is better, just because it's Italian, and it costs more than double the price. I already explained the price discrepancy above. And in previous posts, I reminded everyone that this is a HONDA - not some exclusive Italian brand (like Ferrari). The Honda motorcycle company is going to assure the quality of their bikes, no matter where they're made, and I can attest that the VN-made SH is of equal quality to the Italian model because I've owned both. In some respects, the VN model is better.  No one can convince a local who owns an Italian one of this, because to admit they paid $4000-7000 too much for their motorbike would be a major "face"-losing proposition.