ID CARD / Residence certificate received in less than 2 mths

Contrary to popular belief, you can apply for an ID CARD / Residence certificate and receive it in less than two months.

Yes!

I know how that statement sounds but I am proof to that testament – I applied on 8th July 2013 – I have got both my wife and mine today.

The story is not straight forward but with a little hassle and speaking to the right people, things can get done a bit quicker.

After all, my neighbor received his ID CARD / Residence certificate in two weeks (with a good reason). I am not going to sit here and tell you how, when or where but it can be done.

After speaking to a few people (who work there), it turns out that more than half of the applications have been processed but they haven't been forwarded to ROOM 25 (The magic room)

There is no order anymore - Its potluck! However what I am advising you is to be proactive – Don't expected to get anything anytime soon if you're at home basking by the pool side.

Take a trip to Valletta and ask a few questions – The place is not busy at all on Thursday. Don't speak to the receptionist – Speak to those guys walking around – One of them will be kind enough to talk to you and even sort you out.

This is Malta – Things are done on a more personal level as opposed to other European countries.

NB – I am not telling you to bombard the office, I am telling you to be smart and proactive. This is just an insight of how I managed to get mine sooner than expected so don't kill the messenger.

Any questions – Let me know.

Thanks 
SMeddie

Great to hear mate and I am sooo jealous of you! :D

And it's how you mentioned, sometimes we just have to insist and speak with the right people. I will defo going back there within a month or so just to try to find out how's my process going, and if I am as lucky as you, I might get things sorted on the same day.

I am very happy for you and your Misses! :cheers:

Cheerio,
Antonio

Knowing your rights, but not insisting on them without a smile goes a long way in Malta :-)

mantonas wrote:

Great to hear mate and I am sooo jealous of you! :D

And it's how you mentioned, sometimes we just have to insist and speak with the right people. I will defo going back there within a month or so just to try to find out how's my process going, and if I am as lucky as you, I might get things sorted on the same day.

I am very happy for you and your Misses! :cheers:

Cheerio,
Antonio

Toni the feeling is mutual. I am also happy with myself!

Anyway atleast you know what to do - And I am your wingman all the way.

FYI .. A CISK is in order...!

Ta

Meddie

georgeingozo wrote:

Knowing your rights, but not insisting on them without a smile goes a long way in Malta :-)

Well said GnG....

Thanks

Meddie

georgeingozo wrote:

so why all the games being played. dont these people know that many are now wiser and better informed  - why is there a need for the stupid games. why dont they just do their job properly? or are they incapable of doing so or just badly trained  (even after 8 months)

or are you saying that insist with a smile forces these people to go and seek the correct process from a supervisor - I would have thought that 8 months use of a system they would or should know better by now.

toonarmy9752 wrote:

why dont they just do their job properly?

overall the staff are - there just aren't enough of them

Do the Maltese get theirs straight away, like the old ID card system does anyone know?

Maltese can't even apply for the new cards yet

I get the impression that they do.....however that is likely to be a different kettle of fish when the new cards get issued as i think they will baulk at having the full biometric system shoved at them and data collection will defo be a biggy

georgeingozo wrote:
toonarmy9752 wrote:

why dont they just do their job properly?

overall the staff are - there just aren't enough of them

how can you say that GnG when you must insist on your rights with smile.....it would suggest that they dont know....would it not.

WOW lol, I didn't realise they were not doing theirs yet...What the heck are they going to do with another 300,000 odd people??!!!

coxf0001 wrote:

WOW lol, I didn't realise they were not doing theirs yet...What the heck are they going to do with another 300,000 odd people??!!!

no they are not issuing the new cards yet but they can still get the old ones in certain circumstances

The impression I got from some staff members is that the ID card can even be processed in one day for straight forward applications.

There are 3 permanent staff in room 25 per given shift.

2 staff handle receipt collection and file updates.

1 staff member handle printing.

Others staff members are walk-ins from other departments.

My ID Card was printed while I was in office and I had the chance to ask a few questions but staff shortage was also one of the issue mentioned.

Ta

Meddie

Its not room 25 thats the problem but room 101

You see, this is what I don't get....If you are already a resident, then why is it not the same as getting the old ID card...They would cut done on all the stress and paperwork but then, this is Malta and it takes 6 men to fix a pothole!!

georgeingozo wrote:

Its not room 25 thats the problem but room 101

dont things disappear into room 101
never ever to be seen again

so where is the " extra resources" as quoted in the media..... - doesnt sound like any to me

Hi SMeddie,

please don't promote the fact that you can get your e-residence card within a few days !

I know how but it is not fair on all those waiting for 6 months ....and if they were to know how to do it it wouldn't work anymore!

It cannot be processed within one day unless you have all documents and the Minister with you - believe me!

Your ID card took slightly less than 2 months to process ...the printing is not a big deal. That was already very fast !

Cheers
ricky

ricky wrote:

Hi SMeddie,

please don't promote the fact that you can get your e-residence card within a few days !

I know how but it is not fair on all those waiting for 6 months ....and if they were to know how to do it it wouldn't work anymore!

It cannot be processed within one day unless you have all documents and the Minister with you - believe me!

Your ID card took slightly less than 2 months to process ...the printing is not a big deal. That was already very fast !

Cheers
ricky

Hi Ricky

I was just sharing information ...... nothing more. I know a one day service is not possible but the guys in the office indicated so hypothetically if the system was designed better.

I know many are waiting but me getting one and not sharing a few tips is next to a criminal offense on my part.

Unless you want me to zip-up but I always share as opposed to withholding information.

However if you prefer the latter, I will happily fall in line if that is deemed best for the forum despite the definition of the community benefiting from the former!

Thanks

Meddie

I guess the problem is that for everyone who jumps the queue, the rest are pushed back a bit.

No one is jumping the queue....... People need to be more proactive. If someone has waited for 8 months. That's an acceptable to my standards and I would be in Valleta every two weeks seeking for an explanation.

That's just me ...... Remember different strokes for different folks!

Ta

If I was in your shoes, I would also jump the queue/be proactive, however you put it, the end result is the same, you get your card quicker, so others get theirs slower.

Sure, if you have some urgent reason - they can print it out even in 1 day. I have a friend who received the new card on the next day after application. Without any illegal things - he just explained the situation and provided all supporting documents.

In our situation, we were quite patient to wait a couple of months, but when it became urgent I went to the department and received mine in 3 days.

speak as you find Smeddie others do so why not you.... if others dont like it its not your problem.

Besides queue jumping on Malta is standard practice we already know that....

share as much info as you wish Smeddie in my view. Thats what the forum is about...whether its a short cut or not - human nature dictates that they will do it if they know about it and can do it - we all have that choice and the ability to take action - at least till the dept acts properly and do it by their rules and make no spacial cases, unless a true special case (clearly defined ones).

After all once Ricky got the name of someone to speed his application up he got his!!!! ok admittedly he did wait 6 months.

Bear in mind that a good number of applicants will already have had the old ID, residency, lower rates on water/ electric, no children of school age, pay tax, don't use the buses and so will not get any benefit from the new EID.
Other than showing it to people (to prove they do exist) we have not used our new card in anger yet!
So it makes sense to allow those who have a more urgent need to have priority but again that would require some sort of organising, so unlikely to happen in Malta.

Terry

Well I must say to all the moaners you chose to live in Malta that's Malta unfortunately and as much as we all get frustrated This is why I can't wait to get to Malta and I love it and their ways and would not change a thing! If you all wanted simple should of stayed in England, lol! Sorry but it's true this is more like a moaning forum rather than one
To advise others of how to do things!

tearnet wrote:

Bear in mind that a good number of applicants will already have had the old ID, residency, lower rates on water/ electric, no children of school age, pay tax, don't use the buses and so will not get any benefit from the new EID.
Other than showing it to people (to prove they do exist) we have not used our new card in anger yet!
So it makes sense to allow those who have a more urgent need to have priority but again that would require some sort of organising, so unlikely to happen in Malta.

Terry

to be fair Terry its what they should have done in the first place - all it takes is a little thought and planning - but no what do we get - organised chaos - sadly organisation and planning not exactly in abundance on Malta.

@Toon - I believe sharing is caring and until they sort out the mess, people on this forum need every update. You have restored my faith in this forum. I was starting to give up!

@Terry - Absolutely.

@Denise - This is Malta at its best.

Ta

Meddie

Denisemac1 wrote:

I can't wait to get to Malta and I love it and their ways and would not change a thing!

I suspect you might want to change a few things once you settle in :-)

@ denise - sounds like you will fit right in with the "go back to england" stance

we shall see how you feel after the "holiday" is over and you are subjected to that which we have all experienced.

if you want sugar coating and rose tinted glasses view - wrong place.!

Denisemac1 wrote:

Well I must say to all the moaners you chose to live in Malta that's Malta unfortunately and as much as we all get frustrated This is why I can't wait to get to Malta and I love it and their ways and would not change a thing! If you all wanted simple should of stayed in England, lol! Sorry but it's true this is more like a moaning forum rather than one

I'd think like that if I lived in Wallsend but I live in Malta and that gives me the edge when talking about life on the Island!

:D

Terry

well said Terry.

and coming from just over the water from wallsend (borne and bred) i think am well placed for both!!!!!

tearnet wrote:
Denisemac1 wrote:

I'd think like that if I lived in Wallsend but I live in Malta and that gives me the edge when talking about life on the Island!

:D

Terry

Yes but I'm half maltese have been to Malta about 30
Times so I know how it all works out there! And I love it!

I think "would not change a thing!" will come back to haunt you :-)

Hopefully your half maltese side will help you cut through the red tape.... thousands dont have that advantage... and as such your view is different and in all likely hood you will have a different experience - lets hope you do!

am looking forward to your updates

Do you have a Maltese passport Denise ? If so, all these issues wont effect you as you wont need the eResidency card for foreigners, but the Maltese ID card (or its replacement), which is issued with minimal fuss or delay.

toonarmy9752 wrote:

@ denise - sounds like you will fit right in with the "go back to england" stance

we shall see how you feel after the "holiday" is over and you are subjected to that which we have all experienced.

if you want sugar coating and rose tinted glasses view - wrong place.!

I get the feeling you have been a bit peed off for the last couple of days,hope everything is ok for you,youre normally very positive.

No am fine - I am pretty positive most of the tme but one has to strike balance - there are many good things here and as I have said before the minute the bad outweighs the good  - I am out of here. But thanks for your concern - its no good painting a wonderful picture when much of what you do here is in your control and when it isnt do something about it dont just sit back and wait and do nothing - your life is what you make it - however the other side of that is there are many times you cant do anything but ride it out  - but to think its heaven and no sign of hell would be  foolish.... one mans heaven is another mans hell. to make an informed decision is better than an ill-informed one - warts and all.

Just for balance  - i love the village where i live - for many many reasons... and the few issues i have are the same as most. dog shit rubbish and too much building going on...despite all of that the kunsil lokali here is superb and doing a great job as they've actually listened to all resident nationals here and spend money on improvements......otherwise id say it was as close to perfection as can be expected.