Hello everyone - Moving from Florida US to Medellin COL, by June 2014

Hello,

I am Enrique M. Came to the U.S. when I was 20. I am both a U.S. & a Colombian citizen. At 66, I am considering a move to Medellin for a long period if not for good. I just came back from an exploratory 2.5 month trip to Colombia and I liked Medellin for starters.

I am planning to make my move by June 2014, or even earlier if possible. But now I am faced with all the serious questions of the actual move!

For starters, I would LOVE to hear recommendations on household SHIPPERS, quality and costs. I am just taking a few things with me, relatively. Definitely not a full house with furniture and what not; just some things I love (books, pictures, music, computers, a good bicycle, my guitars, camping equipment, some tools, stuff like that).

I calculate roughly a volume, half my storage place, or a 300 Cubic ft volume/space (5ft x 10ft x 6ft = 300 Cubit feet more or less). Ocean Shippers probably charge by the Cubit ft.

Well you good people get the idea and I need your help :)

TIA

Enrique M (El Buscador = EB for short)

Hello Enrique M.

Welcome to Expat.com :)

Please note that your message has been moved to the Medellin Forum for effective networking.

You may contact our partner ->https://www.expat.com/en/luggage/south- … /medellin/ , in order to get a free quote online.

Thanks.

Karen :)

Great, Thank you.

Hello:

You have made a good choice to live in Medellin - a beautiful city. I am a recent retiree and have been living here for almost 2 years. It is a wonderful choice for me.

Anyway, for your shipping needs, I highly recommend Abe's Cargo. I've used them several times and my son and daughter-in-law have also used them to ship from Chicago.  I've had books, etc. shipped. Their contact information is Abe Cargo 866-380-8444 and are out of Miami Florida. They speak both Spanish and English.

On another note: if you are shipping books you can get a special rate; just ask the post office where you are shipping from.

I hope that this helps and best of luck to you on your move to the 'City of Eternal Spring.

Rhonda

rmihardy wrote:

Hello:
I highly recommend Abe's Cargo. I've used them several times and my son and daughter-in-law have also used them to ship from Chicago.  I've had books, etc. shipped. Their contact information is Abe Cargo 866-380-8444 and are out of Miami Florida. They speak both Spanish and English.

On another note: if you are shipping books you can get a special rate; just ask the post office where you are shipping from.
Rhonda

Thank you Rhonda for taking the time. I had already forgotten about this post and did not think anyone would respond. It maybe that this forum / board, does not have enough traffic because not one person ever responded in two months, except for you. So I thank you! :)

I will go to the website and check it out.

Of course I would have liked to get leads for 3 or 4 other services as well from clients who have used it, like yourself, to compare them etc.

But thank you so much for providing the link for Abe's service.

Just one more question Rhonda, when you did your shipping, did you check other services?... in fact, do you know of other services?.. or, are you so happy with Abe's that you feel you don't need any other service?

I would like to know for instance, rates. Are they "reasonable" compared with others? Do you know what I mean?

In any event, I thank you for the information you provided me, I will check them out.

Regards,

Enrique.

P.S. I am happy you feel so good about Medellin. I was there in Colombia for about 2.5 months this past June 2013, but I only spent about 14 days in Medellin. I have a friend there who makes things a lot easier for me, which is the reason I picked up Medellin as my point of arrival. Yes, the weather can not be better and the city is outstanding by any standards... So I hope I will feel the way you do when I finally move there next year.

Just out of curiosity, why did move to Colombia? Are you American or connected to Colombia in some way?.... just curious that's all :)

Take care.

Hello Enrique:

Yes, I agree, I do not think that the site is used much. I tried to get information when I was looking for a new apartment in April - but there were no responses.

Regarding the shipping, I can tell you why I like this service -
my daughter-in-law's school Columubus school here in Medellin, uses the service for all the US teachers who are relocating here to Medellin. Also, they speak English as well as Spanish, I have used them at least 5 times with no problems.So they are dependable which is important to me.

As far as the price, I can not give you comparison quotes because I have never shopped around, even though I know that others have used other services. Also, the things that I have shipped were not large pieces like furniture; my friends say it is quite expensive to ship furniture.

Finally, you may want to check out InterNations website. The group of expats seems to be more active - I am a member of that group as well.

So, best of luck for now. When you arrive please look me up so that we can have coffee.

Rhonda

PS to your PS:

I am from the US - Chicago; My son and daughter-in-law moved here to teach - both are from US. They had been here 2 yrs., had a baby; then I decided to retire and move here to help with the baby. I also do some volunteer work here.

It is good that you have a friend here - it helps to have support when relocating.

Paz,
Rhonda

Thank you Rhonda for your responses.

Best of luck,

Enrique