10 months in....

Hello. Well, 10 months into our new life here, and all I can say, is that it beats Spain by a mile. I have written a book "Retire to Spain", now I am writing, "Retire to Malta", so the differences are important to my publishing work.

I have been talking to expats to get the feedback from their experiences, and so far, they are very good indeed, and the funny thing is, it's the same niggles that come up in most cases as the negative things, and they can be fixed easily for Malta. Bottom line is, lovely people and climate, lots of litter, especially in open places, and roads that could do with a lot of work. Excellent health service as well.

In my work as a Qualified Financial Consultant, I meet so many expats that are not aware of their full pension rights when living out of the UK, which are very advantageous to them, yet they are set up to pay the biggest taxes and get the lowest pension payments. So my financial role, is one of education in the main, and its so gratifying to be able to help people on such an important matter, and create financial advantages for them.

We live in Qawra, which is in the St Pauls Bay area. My grandkids love it, so all our immediate family are here now too, it's safe, its relatively low cost living, and my wife Carolyn and I will see out the rest of our days here, and that's after 13 years in Spain, so we know the difference :)

Nice one (and a clever advert) :)

GOOD LUCK AND WELCOME TO THE FORUM

I concur, I spent some 15 months in Tenerife and I like it better here, too (so far)

You lucky people...

Like you (and some close friends) we made the transfer from Spain (Costa Blanca region) to Malta and absolutely knew the move was correct... but sadly things did not work out for my wife so we had to relocate back to the UK... OK, it's not all bad and I get to see my grand kids and the rest of the family far more frequently but boy, there are times when I miss Malta so much it really hurts...

Fortunately, my friends have stayed in Malta and have fitted right in so my hope is to pay a visit soon but somewhere in the back of my mind is the dread of leaving again!

So enjoy... you lucky, lucky people!

Mike

Welcome to the forum, you can rest a sure I'll be contacting you once we finally move and settle in.

Ken

Welcome sunmaverick.. We landed here via Costa Del Sol, then Gibraltar and we are loving it too.  Been here 3 months now and feeling very settled  :D

your timing couldnt be better as we are thinking about leaving malta.. and Gib came to mind and I remembered someone moved here from there but couldnt remember who - maybe you can enlighten me with some information by PM. Thanks

toonarmy9752 wrote:

your timing couldnt be better as we are thinking about leaving malta.. and Gib came to mind and I remembered someone moved here from there but couldnt remember who - maybe you can enlighten me with some information by PM. Thanks

Hi Toon, That is a bit of a bolt out of the blue... Thought you had become a virtual Maltese native! Any reasons that you are able to share?

Re Gib... Look very carefully before you leap!... especially at the moment!

Cheers

Mike

its just in the thought process now - a long way to go  - but like everything i venture into t's have to be crossed and i's dotted.. not really a bolt out of the blue just thinking ahead - we already know this isnt our final resting place....it will do for now  bit we will move on for sure - neither is the UK a final resting place. wont ever be going back there again.....when we leave it will not be back to UK.

its one of three favourite places we are looking at but in the very early stages of research. You have to remember that malta was third choice not first.

just curious how do you write a book called "retire to Malta" when both of you work?
Been here 5 months now, not much different from Spain, lived in the north east for nearly 10years, so more humid here, roads better there!! lol

toonarmy9752 wrote:

Gibralter?

Blimey!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good luck with that one mate.

We got married in Gibraltar and stayed in a lovely apartment there but the long term rental fee on it was £1,700 per month, rents are very expensive there from what we could see, I liked Gibraltar though, seemed like a nice place to live but it is very over populated and built up.  Has a great big Morrisons supermarket though :).

thanks for the info guys - its an idea at this point in time - nothing more we have others too - as its a pretty surefire thing we will not be staying here... it'll do for now - but its not our last resting place.

Hello Fusspot.

Have already written "Retire to Spain", and will be published at the same time as Malta.

We view "retirement" as a state of mind, not one of not just not working, as I could never see myself as not working in one way or another, and thankfully, my profession is not physical, so many years to go yet :) My wife Carolyn helps with the financial consultancy, in running my diary, arranging meetings etc.

We genuinely love to help people, helping and sharing give wonderful value to life and each day. When I tell my clients what they can do to increase their pension AND beat the taxman, its a genuine joy to see their faces, and that's just one example.

Retirement in the old sense, was to enter old age. Now I believe it to be totally different, as we are all living longer and healthier. On a practical level, retirement is like a career change, but one you do out of choice, not one of a need to earn an income, and what comes with that new viewpoint, is the freedom to choose the life that you want to live, and we are doing ours.

If we choose, we can take time off, just plan it and make it happen, that is the flexibility of our work. It's exciting, no children, they have flown the nest, grandchildren to enjoy. It's a thriving retirement. In our "working retirement", we are doing something we truely believe in, it's true freedom, and we are helping our fellow man, and in that is great joy.

So, to write a book on "retirement" in the modern sense, we are most qualified to do.

Would love to hear your view.

Take care

Tony and Carolyn

We got married in Gib too! :) A lovely place to tie the knot. We enjoyed simple affair in the registry office, and stayed at the Rock Hotel.

My wife to be was off at the hairdressers, the patio doors were open as it was a lovely day. I was in the bathroom, came out to be greeted by this enormas ape!! Just sat on the carpet, it looked at me, then over to the biscuits on the tea tray (obviously knew where to look). I shouted at it, and eventually it turned and slowly walked out.m I just got a pic of it as it qent over the wall. The manager of the Rock Hotel, said it was a sign of good luck, we took it with a pinch of salt, but an experience, and a memorable day for many reasons :)

Hi Silly Penny. My wife Carolyns child name was "Moonpenny" as she has always loved the moon, her ruling planet I think.

Happy for you you that you like it here, we feel exactly the same, and you must live nearby. Our local is just 50 mtrs away from our place. It's the Bell Pub, on Istamnar Street. If you see us, please say hello, or text me on 792.97.321.

Have a lovely day

Tony and Carolyn

Hi Ken.

May we wish you a very safe and pleasant journey on your move to Malta. Ignore the state of the roads and the iffy driving standards, as they are my only negs on an island of joy drenched in history. Lovely people, who will give you the time of day. A definate slower pace of life, which you eventually slow down to, and then you can truely relax in your life.

Main advice, is to rent a place to see if you like island life, and where you are living. Then when all your boxes are ticked, hunt for that special place to put down your roots.

Look forward to meeting you :)

Take care

Tony and Carolyn

Thank you for your compliemt MIke, even if a little tongue-in-cheek :)

Genuinely love helping people, and my work does that in spades. Off to a charity fund raiser tonight.

Take care

Tony

Thank you most kindly :)

so glad to hear such positive things as we are making the move to Malta in May2014.
looking forward to the change of pace of Sydney......Have read so many negative things on other forums, I was starting to question our decision. But I am convinced we will enjoy our move now.

Catherine

Hi,be prepared for a lot of differences, there will be a lot since you were here last. Also be prepared for complicated procedures, especially if you are not coming here as 'self sufficient' residents and are non EU State members.
I urge you to be very thorough in your research and choose your location very carefully.
Malta is still wonderful for many but not so for others. A positive attitude coupled with a 'can do' mentality, I would suggest, is essential. Parts of the mainland are not nice, they have been over developed and can be overcrowded, dirty and noisy. Lynn and I have been associated with Malta for many many years, which is why we live on Gozo :) and would not live on the mainland; however we are both retired so that suits us nicely and we only visit the mainland for essential matters.
You will either love it or hate it here.
I wish you the best of luck but again, please research thoroughly. You will find plenty of advice on this blog, just be careful of those who are also using this blog to further their own political agendas, rather than those who are here for the love of the people, the lifestyle and the culture. Best wishes :)

consider everything and ignore nothing then make your decision. its a big one worthy of maximum attention

toonarmy9752 wrote:

consider everything and ignore nothing

:top:

While reading this, I'm sitting in the sun on my terrace. Overlooking the Mediterranean and watching a giant cruiseship enter the Grand Harbour.
We moved 4 months ago from The Netherlands. Our first choice was Spain, but boy am I happy we decided on Malta. I can relate to the retirement choice as described above. I still work, but we made a choice to change our lives. Some people say we are in a state of pre-retirement. I don't know what to call it but it was the right move.
Yes Malta has bad roads and there is littering. But we already feel at home here because of the people. And that is something you won't find quickly anywhere else in the Med.

Yes, it's the people that make it.

Hello,
I'm glad you like Qawra as it's one of the areas we are thinking of "moving" to. We currently have a holiday flat in Sliema but we are thinking of going further North where we can afford something with a sea view!
Are there any particular bits of Qawra/St Paul's you can recommend? We also like the look of Xemxija.

Thanks xx

Hi Tony,
Moving to Malta next summer with the wife and kid , do you give a free advice on how to move my work pension to Malta ?
Many Thanks
Sofiene

In Spain they don't ask european citizen to get a spanish ID or residency ... They are NORMAL ;)

Hi A...... ,

you are wrong !

It happens to be EU law and that is in Spain and also in the UK ! Some countries ask for the application , others (like Germany) require you to register with the local council as an EU citizen. For non-Eu citizens it is an obligation in all EU countries.

http://spain.angloinfo.com/moving/residency/

Even the UK has the EU e-residence. It is important when you are in an EU /non-EU relationship .

They don't 'ask' in Spain because it is up to you to apply.

Cheers
Ricky

but as in here there is no enforcement to do so

I lived in UK for several years and nothing like that had been asked to me. Rubbish. European citizens can live and work in any country within EU, end of.

ABBCCCDDDD wrote:

I lived in UK for several years and nothing like that had been asked to me. Rubbish. European citizens can live and work in any country within EU, end of.

only if you can prove you won't be a burden on the state, hence the need in Malta to show sufficient finance and healthcare

ABBCCCDDDD wrote:

It is not 'rubbish' or 'end of' as you state.
There is a world of difference between what should happen, what could happen and what actually happens in practise.
One needs to be flexible and respect the host country's rights to run it's own affairs in their way.

ABBCCCDDDD wrote:

That's down to lack of enforcement not lack of the legislation.

Plenty of EU citizens "fly under the radar", but that does not make it OK.

ABBCCCDDDD wrote:

According to your profile you are English!

Another troll!

tearnet wrote:
ABBCCCDDDD wrote:

According to your profile you are English!

Another troll!

If he or she is English then their use of the English language is somewhat poor or they are quite young; going on the way it is written. Oh well, 'sport's afoot' and 'tally ho!'

ABBCCCDDDD

In Spain they don't ask european citizen to get a spanish ID or residency ... They are NORMAL wink

We lived in Spain for 10 years and where told we need residency for bank, car, work etc. It took about 2mnths to sort out and several different towns.lol

Had to laugh the other day. Went to get Lynn's white card and speaking with the clerk who explained everything in great detail finished with a wink and a grin and said, 'we like to make things easy in Malta!' :D

silly people, seriously ... I am not english according to my profile, and lusckiliy as I would be ashamed of it, when I see all the rubbish you guys say and how spiteful you are ... shame on you, really. your comments are really poor and low.