Being an Aussi and moving to the Phil to live

I am married to a Filipino wife and intend to move there when i retire.  Do any of you have any info on dual citizenship and the cost. I have looked at SRRV visa but the deposit that is being asked is a huge amount.   Can you please give me your opinions on what may be the best way .I only have my Super to buy and set up house etc and qualify for full pension as worked in Australia all my life.

maybe you can check out the immigration office website in the philippines for infos regarding these

maybe the only way .thanks

Ken
the visa u talk about is retirement visa it's probably the best
the 13a is the other it is a long process but no money invested
I have 13a and most expats I know do too, most come here then extend visitor visas while applying for 13a but depends were u going to live
Pete

Thanks Pete.  Would be nice to catch up to you one day.  We are going to live in Davao City . Where,s the best place to get the ball rolling. Do you have to exit the Phil once a year? Have a nice day. We are visiting early Sept. When you said it takes long do you mean approx 6 months or much longer.

Ken
I imagine there is immigration office in Davao u can do every thing there but last interview is in Manila make sure u have all
paperwork when u come, Filipino beaurocacy is legendary
Pete

ken49 wrote:

Thanks Pete.  Would be nice to catch up to you one day.  We are going to live in Davao City . Where,s the best place to get the ball rolling. Do you have to exit the Phil once a year? Have a nice day. We are visiting early Sept. When you said it takes long do you mean approx 6 months or much longer.

The above in bold and italics is also what I was wondering about, can anyone shed some light on this?

Cheers

You cannot have dual citizenship unless you were originally Filipino and even that is a convoluted process.  You have to surrender your home country citizenship to become a Filipino citizen and that would probably kill most government retirement plans like USA social security.

Steve

Hmmm, okay thanks for the info, appreciate it.

An Aussies able to shed some light about losing pensions?

Cheers

To my knowledge,if you live overseas for more than 6 months you will lose any pension. You have to travel back and forwards to keep the pension.

I have heard that Centrelink have an overseas payments section which you can contact about this. Have not looked into it myself so it is only conjecture to me.

Thanks for the reply stumpy, I should have made myself clearer I guess... my bad.:P

What I was specifically refering to was the DFRDB, and those who recognise the abbreviation will know what I'm talking about.

Just to make sure, I am more than willing to take any other advice regards receiving pensions from Australia, it's just that the one above (DFRDB) is the one I am currently receiving (and still working).

Cheers

If ur married to Filipina just apply for 13a visa, I did it for my husband in one month time but of course it was costly. File ur application as soon as u arrive. Its also important that u show source of income and bank statements, both from ur country and here.  Wish u both goodluck.:)

Thanks much for the reply ishar, at this stage marriage is still a dream, however I think if I asked she would say yes, fingers crossed.

At this stage I'm starting to plan real early, still have 5 years before retirement and will be visiting the Philippines before I settle there, but never too early to start planning I guess.

And the more information I can get now will help me when the fateful day arrives.

Cheers

Senutyenool wrote:

Thanks much for the reply ishar, at this stage marriage is still a dream, however I think if I asked she would say yes, fingers crossed.

At this stage I'm starting to plan real early, still have 5 years before retirement and will be visiting the Philippines before I settle there, but never too early to start planning I guess.

And the more information I can get now will help me when the fateful day arrives.

Cheers

Planning early will help, also help you get to the finish line knowing where you are going.  Hopefully in the next five years you will be married and your wife will have dual citizenship, for it will make everything much easier.  I would hope your down under folks could tell you the pension rules better than anyone on here.
Good Luck!!

First of all anyone wanting to know about CentreLink payments overseas should see them as circumstances vary but if you have worked a certain number of years in Australia you qualify for basic pension in the Phil and you dont have to leave each year as some have said to keep receiving it. Duel citizenship is not reccomemded by the Phil Goverment for us.  The SRRV visa is the one they prefer us to have as you get many benefits like not having to leave the Phil each year. But it comes at a cost.  Once at pension age the requirement is  $10,000.00 american plus us$1,300.00 for startup fee deposited in the govermentbank there for a certain time. Also we must provide documentation from Centre Link showing what Pension we will be receiving.  It is only a matter of visiting Canberra and Duel Citizenship can be arranged without any problems if you  wish, but like i was told you get all and extra with the SRRV visa so why bother  .ps have much time when you are trying to get a us $ a/c  started.   5 hours for us. Also you must have verification from your Australian Bank. Dont bother with an au$ account there as the fees for single transaction  are excess of $30.00 au from ANZ Bank.I have made enquiries on these subjects and are not going on heresay. Hope this helps.

Okay, thanks for that Ken, but the problem I'm encountering is that I will be on a military and another government pension.  Both not related to Centerlink.

Thanks though for the info.

Cheers

Hi sir Ken tell your wife about your plan and she will find the best place for you to live here in the Philippines, i'll wait your reply as soon as possible please call or txt me, thanks God bless.

Best Regards,

Jun of Camella Homes
CP# +639199852158 / +639174478550

If you are already married to a Filapina definitely get your 13a Visa from the Philippines Embassy in Canberra BEFORE you come here. It is permanent once to get it but be ready to move once you get it. It has an expiry date if not used, 12 months I think but check up on that. The cost for a 13a visa is chump change, don't worry about it. I promise you, don't come here and do it, it's temporary for the first 12 months, and u must start the whole process again after 12 months to make it permanent. Don't take any notice of the requirements on the web site, they don't update them and there is a few more now such as getting a Federal Police Clearance from Australia and it has to be authenticated by the Philippines DFA (Not the Australian DFA) like this dummy did. Once here permanently, you gotta report in once every Jan thru Feb to update your ACR-1 Card. Also bear in mind if you have to go to the Australian Embassy in Makati to get anything done, you will pay thru the nose. EG: I need my Police Clearance certified...Cost 1200 Piso. All they did was photo copy, rubber stamp and scribble a signature on it.

Forget the SSRV, it is costly and the annual renewal is too.

This may not apply to you but I will put it out there.....I am a Aussie Vietnam veteran. I went to Australia from the Philippines in March to claim my DVA pension and after 9 weeks waiting, they showed me the door. My overseas residency disqualified me for getting the pension. They reckon I will have to live there for 12 months to get it and I'm still not sure they will pay me if I leave and come back to my wife and the home we already own in Batangas Province. Pretty weak state of affairs and as far as I am concerned they dishonored my service to the country. Pee on them. As for center link, I more than qualify for the age pension but it's the same story, can't get it if you live abroad unless you are in a country that has a "Social Security Agreement" with them. I did happen to live in the USA for 20 years and do qualify for a pension to be paid overseas but I have to be living in the USA.

Bring cash or an ATM card if you stay here with visitor visa. New anti money laundering laws has made it hard to open accounts. The missus had to open a USD account and we just drop one of my North Carolina checks in there as required, takes about three weeks to clear.

Why would you want to be a citizen here???? Only advantage I see is a senior citizens card. Feel free to email me if I can help with anything. We have bought a car, a bike, a house, got married, we are eaten up with government red tape and believe me, getting anything done here requires a lot of patience and many trips. Go here, go there, go to this window, go to that window, this paper is wrong, that paper is wrong, you need authenticated paper, you need certified true copy, you ned notorized copy, oh! this one is expired, get it done again. come back in 3 weeks, blah blah blah. It's a good think I still have my Aussie sense of humour and can laugh at all this.

About banking. A link from this blog site.

https://www.expat.com/en/guide/asia/phi … pines.html