Please advise if moving to Lagos with a baby (1 month) is crazy

Hi everybody. Will really appreciate your advise as we are planning to move to Lagos next year (my husband, me, my 3 years old daughter and future posible baby:-))
Actually we are planning to have a baby but not sure that its a good idea to bring a recently born baby to Nigeria.
Will really apprecite your opinion or advise.

Hello Nika76.

Welcome to Expat.com :)

I have moved your message to the Lagos Forum for more visibility.

Thanks.

Karen :)

Thank you Karen!

You can get good nanny care here.
If you have money it will be no problem.
Just watch for sanitation.
To some extent the way Africans treat babies toughens them and makes them more supple if you are open to new ideas.
Bring child seats with you and do not carry your baby in your arms in the car.
Bring a baby pod or cradle for the car. Get it properly fitted and train nanny how to strap in.

Hi there,

If you are planning to move to nigeria then most welcome. Please come here with open mind. You will get some good things and some bad elements. That is how it is every where. If you are coming with your new born baby there is no issue, you get good medical facilities in Lagos and many places in nigeria. There are some indian doctor who owe nursing home n clinics here. ARe you going to work? Is your husbands posting in Lagos?

Things are good you get househelp within a budget may vary from 15 k to 25 k depending on area where you live.  Having baby here i mean delivering here among indian there is mixed notion so it is upto you. You might find same facility here as you get in India, there are some very good hospitals here but very expensive and if ur husbands company is paying it is fine. Otherwise it would be very heavy on your pocket.

I am living here since last 2 yrs and am happy no security issue with the grace of god.

Hope this has solved ur query.

Hi. First you will need a good nanny to help with the baby and child. Lagos is just like any other big city. Networking will help to alleviate some potential problems.  Ask expatriates advice on getting a nanny through a good,well recommended agency. Buggies and push prams can be used if you reside in a gated community and most areas have standard shopping malls. It won't be Abu Dhabi standard but if you are nice but firm with local employees, most likely you will have a nice experience. Just take general care as you would in any big city. I hope you come as it can be quite an adventure. All the best.

check out poshbabiesandkids.com - they can help with your kids. They are based in Parkview, Ikoyi and they have experience handling babies and young kids of many nationalities.