Opening bank account with job offer in Malta

hi there

I am Italian so EU resident and I have been offered a job in Malta and just recently i signed the contract for it. Up to now i have been living and working in London.

Obviously i will need to have a bank account there and i just understood most banks in Malta want to have a "reference" from a previous bank and it just seems nonsense but let's move on.

My question is:

Since i have a job in Malta, would that make a difference to have a reference letter from the company saying i will be employed with this xyz company bla bla bla just as it is in the UK where in order to have a bank account you need a reference letter either from an employer or school + your passport and that's it?

Or is absolutely mandatory the reference letter from the previous bank? quite frankly i wouldn't know what to ask for at the bank.

many thanks
Gabrio

Can't say really but I opened my account here before I finally left the UK. References required and supplied by my UK bank.
You wrote 'Or is absolutely mandatory the reference letter from the previous bank? quite frankly i wouldn't know what to ask for at the bank.'
May I suggest you ask for letters of reference?

Try opening an HSBC account in the UK then transferring it to Malta.
If not just go into your UK bank and explain that you are moving to Malta and will need a reference, Just as redmik suggested.

Terry

tearnet wrote:

If not just go into your UK bank and explain that you are moving to Malta and will need a reference, Just as redmik suggested.

Terry

sounds like a plan to me

toonarmy9752 wrote:
tearnet wrote:

Terry

sounds like a plan to me

Which, btw, is exactly what I did. It cost £100 but saved a lot of stress.

Thank god for this website. I m coming in Malta in 3 days and I had no idea Malta banks want references from our banks!!!
I ll go first thing Monday and hopefully my bank will give me one

Lobo81 wrote:

Thank god for this website. I m coming in Malta in 3 days and I had no idea Malta banks want references from our banks!!!

You may want to consider a prepaid Eurocard which you can order over the internet to carry you over. (While you still have a UK address)  See here: https://www.iceplc.com/

I don't have a UK address as I am living in Cyprus :)

Lobo81 wrote:

Hi Lobo, please bear in mind that banks here in Malta, don't accept references given by the person who wants to open the account. They should be sent from your bank directly to the branch in which you intend to open the account.

Lobo81 wrote:

I don't have a UK address as I am living in Cyprus :)

Maybe there is something similar available there then.

Remember too to keep your old accounts live in your home country as its difficult to open one once you have left....

Transfer of funds may be difficult from Cyprus as I believe that there is a restriction in place with regard to moving funds out of Cypriot banks.

Terry

thanks guys. I will notify my bank then that they have to sent a reference to the bank that will accept to open my account.
I m not closing any accounts here in Cyprus cause as tearnet said I cannot transfer funds to Malta due to restrictions.
I have a Swiss account but cant see my company accepting to put my salary in there :)

I reckon that's what you'll need to do Lobo81. Speak with the your account manager from your Cyprus bank account to make sure they reply to the Maltese bank in case they require references from them. From my personal experience, try BOV first of all as with me, it went really well. Unfortunately, my experience with HSBC, wasn't good at all. I have opened an acc with BOV after about 3 weeks of applied for it, whilst with HSBC, I am still waiting for an update from them regarding my bank references requested from about 5 months ago.

Best luck!

Antonio

BOV it is then :)
thanks antonio

thanks for the feedback guys, i thought it was a bit easier to be honest.

tho BOV seems to be easier and prolly what i will do

tearnet wrote:

Terry

not the easiest thing to open in HSBC here in UK either actually... in fact i have another one.

I wouldn't say it's difficult gabrio, all depends on whom you speak with and if you fulfill their requirements. There's a lot of bureaucracy here in Malta and mostly of the people (specially the public servants), don't even know exactly which are the laws they should be following. It takes time, but eventually you will get used to Maltese way of living :D

Good luck!

Antonio