Getting Married in Ukraine

I am a British citizen, me and my girlfriend are planning to get married in Lviv. The deputy director of the office told us that I may have problem with my decree absolute because the name on it not matching the name on my passport (actually it's not much difference). The name on my decree absolute is Lap Tak Wong and the name on my passport is Lap Tak Thomas Wong. As you can see it's just missed out "Thomas" on the decree absolute. Is that true that we can't get married because of that?
Anybody can help with some answers?
If we really can't get married because of that, does anyone knows which country is good for having the marriage register and still Ukraine will recognize the marriage after that?

I can share with you my experience. I am from the USA and have always gone by my middle name. My signature is my first initial, middle name, last name. My passport is signed the same way. However, my birth certificate gives my full name. One initial raised a red flag. Fortunately for me, the person in charge of my request to marry and stay in Ukraine understood this and helped out. She got everything done within two weeks. I then took the documents to the US Embassy. They notarized  my passport, birth certificate and driver's license. Your situation is more extreme. You are talking about the addition of an entire name. I know in the States you would have a major issue and would probably have to seek an attorney. That is my advice to you. First check the Internet to see what Ukrainian law says. Go to this person and ask if they are willing to help and then visit your embassy, and if need be, hire an attorney. Just because my situation was approved along with others on this site has absolutely nothing to do with your case ... Good luck

My Ukrainian girlfriend says absolutely they will not allow it. They are very serious about these situations. The solution is to correct this problem on your documents in your own country first so everything matches.

Thanks keith841.
I don't know it's allowed to add name on divorce certificate or not.

Thanks spdmon.
I have taken the attorney idea in mind just in case we need one.
Have to keep my fingers crossed can sort out everything or my girlfriend will kill me for that (joke):D

I just come from the school of thought that it is better to be same than sorry. We are dealing with a different country with laws that can be at times, quite different from the UK or USA.

spdmon is right. A client of mine had the same problem. A clerk in the US embassy in Kiev issued a document with my client's name different (one letter was different like Ros and Ross or something like this). And he also got a Ukrainian tax ID that also differed. Check your docs carefully. If there is a problem only in the English text then it is not that bad. Ukrainians do not care what is written in English because only Ukrainian official translation matters. So just retranslate and renotarize the translation and it must solve the problem.

My passport name differs slightly from my birth certificate name because my name was changed legally. Does it matter? If so, what to do?  Is it sufficient to show legal proof of name change?

Yes it does if you cannot verify your name change. If you have these documents, be prepared to  submit those that verify your name was legally changed, and you will have no problems. If you do not have these documents, you had better retrieve them ASAP. I was born in the USA, so for us, all types of documents are filed with our county registrar, and easily retrieved for a nominal fee ... Good luck

Thanks.  I do have a copy of the document proving name change.  I think it's in my suitcase.  If not, I'll arrange to have it with me when needed.