Background Check

I saw mention of a background check. Is this a requirement for a retiree visa? Are they looking for just felonies or credit checks or what? My credit isn't the best right now but I do not have any felonies. Please advise.

Nothing to do with credit. It's a criminal background check, either performed by your State Police, or the FBI.
No sweat. I got my State report in about 15 minutes. If it doesn't come with a state seal, you have to get it notarized, and then the apostille.
Goood Luck,
Neil
Ps. it's required for all the types of visa.

What is this apostille thing you mention, this is new to me as well. Thanks for your help

greginky wrote:

What is this apostille thing you mention, this is new to me as well. Thanks for your help

For practical purposes in terms of what we are discussing, an apostille is a certification that the notarization is valid. It's generally done by the Secretary of State (or whatever is the equivalent office in your state), and it says that the Notary is recognized by the state.

Here's a bit more.

What documents do I need this for? I assume the background check, birth certificate, what else? Thanks everyone, I really love the friendly and helpful nature of this site. I have been to other sites where there was a lot of negativity, but not here.

greginky wrote:

What documents do I need this for? I assume the background check, birth certificate, what else?

If you're seeking a pensionado visa, you need a letter from Social Security stating what you are receiving. If you are married, you need your marriage certificate, if divorced or widowed you need appropriate documents.

Everything must be translated, I believe, and notarized/apostilled. Neil said he then had to have it 'legalized' by the consulate. Then the whole pile of papers must be taken to Rome, where you have the Pope sprinkle holy water on them (not sure about that part).   

Neil (zenspike) is the most recent to complete this process and he can give you more accurate data. Also, you should be in touch with the nearest consulate (probably Chicago for you), because the rules change frequently.

Bob

Thanks Bob

Very confusing Greg,
I said this in another thread, but here we go again.
For your proof of income from SS in the US. You must get that document from the SS folk. You can get it on line. That document then must go to a consulate, after it's been notarized, and approved by the consulate. Then, it MUST be translated in the US before you bring it into Ecuador. That is the only document you MUST get translated before you get here. Most attorneys in Ecuador will tell you to get the translations done here, save the one I mentioned, your proof of income. There is NO need for the legalization, it is totally redundant. The Apostille is all that is necessary. If the consulate tells you that it is required, they are wrong.... but, it's cheap. All my docs cost me 40 dollars to legalize. But, again, not needed.
Birth Certificate. Not needed in Quito, needed in Cuenca. Really, think about how redundant it is. The highest identification document you can get as a private citizen in the US is? Your passport, which clearly states your DOB. Marriage Certificate. Needed in Cuenca, not in Quito. Reason for Quito dismissing it is that it caused to many problems for divorced women, and women married, but with a different last name. When it comes to buying property, you will run into that issue. To be safe, if you are married, bring it. If you are divorced, 20 times, bring the last divorce decree. The most current is all that is required.
A state police report is acceptable in Quito, Cuenca likes an FBI report, but I've heard they are becoming more lenient on that issue, and if you go to the right person, they'll accept the state report.
So, to make everything perfectly clear.... ya can't! It's very fluid. Cuenca is a new office, and tends to make more work for itself than need be. Growing pains. Quito has been doing this for a long time, and have recognized the glitches, and have made adjustments in policy.
In the end, really, they want to help, and be of service, but you're in Ecuador. You are going to run around if you don't engage an attorney. Average cost is about a grand. I used one, and avoided all the hassles and run around, and going from office to office, and back again, and again. My time and sanity were more than worth the money. I went to one office for my visa, signed my name twice, photo, out the door. Exact same with my cedula, except they took my fingerprints, so one extra step.
Your choice, but I didn't spend a total of an hour for both processes.
Best Wishes,
Neil

Ps.
A good rule of thumb in this regarding documents being notarized/ apostille: If a document has a state seal on it, it need not be notarized. If not, it must be notarized before it can get an apostille.
Example: The Social Security letter will NOT have a state seal, thus it must be notarized before you bring it to the AG'S office for the apostille, same was true in my state for the State Police Report, no seal, needed to be notarized first. You'll save yourself time if you attend to these things before you get to the AG's office. Don't ask me how I know...
And remember the 90 day rule. All docs have to be with in 90 days of issuance prior to submittal in Ecuador. Once submitted, the clock stops.
And yes, I even confuse myself!!!

Thank you Neil for the detailed version. I think to be safe I will just have an FBI check done that way I am sure to be covered. It is still confusing by different areas there having different requirements so I will just get the highest certification I can in each category just to be safe. Thanks again. I am looking forward to my Ecuador adventure.

My husband, another adult volunteer teacher, I have been living in an indigenous village in Mexico for over 5 years, and volunteering as an English teacher, equine therapy and agua therapy Central in Mexico for over a decade. We have built a community center and rebuilt a home that burned last February.

My PhD is in special education, bilingual education, and sociocultural studies; my MS is in business systems mgt. Since 1986, I have managed a nonprofit dedicated to education for marginalized children. I write books about bilingual education: Empowering Spanish Speakers won four national awards - I try harder to help.

My husband and I are going to coastal Ecuador Sept 3 - Oct 8 to see if the sea level altitude will make my husband better able to breathe, and have a higher quality of life. His body was ravaged in Vietnam and he has many physical challenges when living at 7,000' here in Mexico.

Please suggest who I might contact to help me decide where my skills might best be applied working with marginalized people?

Also, any feedback on the best person to contact for assisting us with obtaining a resident visa would be really helpful.

Thanks!!

Jacquie

Sorry I can't be of help in your quest Jacquie,
But, please extend my thanks to your husband for her service and sacrifice. I'm thinking Agent Orange was the cause of his ailments? Terrible stuff, and consequences.
I wish him well. I dodged it, but have friends and comrades effected.
Neil

Yes, Vietnam...Thanks!