2 months in

Hi all,

Just completed my first 2 months here in Hamburg. I have to say that I have not really done much yet here. I have come from living in Madrid, and Berlin before that, and Hamburg is quite a bit different.

Trying to find things to do out here outside of work is proving a bit hard at the moment seeing as the only people I seem to know are from work. I love to play football but it seems like casual get togethers for games it is not as prominent here as it is in Spain or England.

Hopefully things will pick up as I get to know more people over here.

Anyway, I just thought that I would introduce myself to this forum.

Hi Loquito and welcome in Hamburg.

IŽm italian and I live in Hamburg since 1 year and half and, like you, I used all my time for my work and my family.
I full understand you, it was complicate also for me find a way to play football and the only people that I know here in HH apart my family are my collagues.

IŽm also new on this forum, I want to meet new people in Hamburg and try to create a nice Expat group here!

Anything you should need, let me know, maybe trough this forum we can arrange a football team!

Ciao!

Hi there!

I'm French and I've arrived in Hamburg one month ago for a 6-month internship and would very pleased to meet you guys.

If you would also fancy meeting feel free to contact me!!

Tschüssss!

M.

Hi,

It would be great to meet up with you guys.
Maybe suggest a day when you two would be free?

Or just send me a message to arrange something.

:top:
Hi there!

Very good, let's meet!
To be honest I will go to the center tomorrow afternoon, but maybe it is to short to arrange something...:(
In case you should be available, let me know!

Today I tried to contact other users of this forum:
kelsgrace;
chelsealondon;
LexiHH;
but I did not receive any answer. Did you already try to contact somebody else? Any answer?
A good idea could be to change the title of this topic, something like "Meeting in HH" in order catch attention of the users. But I don't know how to do it. :rolleyes:

Coming back to our meeting, I'll be free tomorrow, then I'll start with night shift at work and I'll be busy until next weekend :/

I'm happy to have found you Guys! :cheers:
Ciao!

I'm free tomorrow and can meet. 

Do you have somewhere you'd like to meet?

I live in hoheluftbtueke, how about you guys?

Sorry Guys,
I have something to do today and I'll be busy...
Let's find a date for next week!

Ciao!

Hi guys,

There is a group of us young people from all over that meet regularly a few times a week to hang out, whether its going out in the evening, helping somebody moving in, watching a movie or doing a bit of communal sport.

We seem to be meeting up regularly on a Tuesday evening and it is really lots of fun. The more the merrier so you are more than welcome to join us.

Gemma:)

That sounds good, I would be up for that.
let me know the details and i'll try be there.

miep miep ^^

Hey everybody,

I'm a french student in Hamburg since march, I just met another french student with which we visited the city and went out the evening. But we don't know lots of people so we would like to meet new people.

I read your message so I wanted to know if it will possible to meet you if you are still in Hamburg.

Bye everybody

Hi everybody,

It seems like I am another Frenchy here. I doing a 6-month-internship here.
I would be very pleased to meet you guys, it seems promising ;-)
It would be great to know more people here

Is there a meeting or something up those next days??

Hi all,

I'm new in Hamburg as well.
Just here for the summer at least and then maybe permanently if these two months go well.

I would like to meet some new people so if anyone is getting together that would be great.

So I thought after being here for just over 1 year 2 months I would update this post and give my impressions about living here in Hamburg one year on from my original post.

Basically I think my initial impressions where quite spot on.

It is hard to find things outside of work to do, especially if you are new in the city. Not that I haven't now found anything to do now, but it took a long time to find something, especially football, and get settled into something. Much longer than it has done anywhere else I have lived.

But in summary this is what I think about Hamburg.

- Winter are long cold and can be depressing with little to do outside, which is bad for me as I would like to be outside most of the year
- Summer are short, hot, but not too hot, and is the best summer I have experienced of anywhere I have lived. Just a shame it is not like that all year round.
- People seem more closed, and tends to keep themselves to themselves, unless of course you actually know them, in which case it is the complete opposite. But the mountain to climb is getting to know people in the first place.
- Hamburg is a very central city, meaning that everything usually takes place in a few central places, which makes it feel like a village to me, especially since I come from a city of ~ 8 million people. This makes it easy to explore the city, but also gives me the feeling that once you have seen/explored the main parts there isn't much else to explore and you have to go outside the city to see more. In this respect I much prefer Berlin, which is super spread out. Others hate that fact, but it is just a matter of taste.
- In general I feel that the city ticks along and a fairly nice steady pace, nothing extreme happening whether it be good or bad. At least that is how I see it, and again my perspective is coming from a city like London where I have seen/lived with these extremes.

Anyway that is just what I think. Let me know if you you think different.

I totally agree :)

Hi all,

I presented some "survival strategies for expats in Hamburg" at:

it is hard to make friends by eyelash

regarding football:

If you want to play football only for enjoyment:

On Saturday and Sunday there are various groups playing football on the meadows of the "Stadtpark" and a few groups in den Alsterauen (Meadows at the Alster at Harvestehuder Weg). Some groups are closed shop. But others are open to all newcombers. When I was younger I alsways went to Stadtpark on Sunday morning and always got a game. But now I am too old and fat for running around. But you look slim and fit. You can always find a group to play with (in summer probably also during the week after working).

@peter Ummm, just a couple things about your post.

1. Thanks for the info, but Hamburg is suited for some people and not for others, for that reason I will be leaving in the very near future.

2. If you knew me you would know that I would have not even stayed this long had I not already found football to play.

But anyway like I said, it makes no difference any more. I will say Hamburg has been an... experience. Much more than this I cannot say.

Sorry to hear this.

But it is like always. If somebody moves somewhere else he or she needs luck. You may find the right people or you don't. Some expats really love it in Hamburg and some don't.

I used to live in Munich and really loved it. But I also know people who hated it.

Anyway: I wish you the best of luck at your next destination.

hey my name is ibrahim iam new in germany too and not speak good german , iam intrsting about football too so iam near to hamburg and really i want come to see it coz i want move from here so can some one help me and i can come in this weekend to look and if the city is nice or not can u give me information coz i feel borinnnng here