Getting started...

Hello everyone!

My name is Tanisha and I am a US citizen. I'm 26 currently saving and working as a CNA. I am in my third semester of my two year Graphic design program. After I graduate i want to move to Brunei,darussalam . I met the love of my life online and after 8 years of talking on the phone and the computer; we met face to face and are now engaged. He lives in Brunei,darussalam and we are both currently saving for me to go over there.

Now for the question: What first steps do I have to take to become a permanent resident? Do I need to see the department of immigration here (in the U.S) or travel there and get the paper work started?

Some people have mentioned that I could just ask for the department of immigration permission to marry my fiance. However, i don't want to shortcut this and i want to actually learn this culture. My fiance is doing the best he can but states he doesn't know everything.

Thank you for any and all suggestions and/or answers!

Hi Talston,

Welcome to Expat-Blog ;)

If I'm not wrong, I think you should go and see the department of immigration in the U.S and get the maximum of information or they might tell you to get some documents print up and what kind of proof do you need to show that your relation is genuine.. at least get the basic paper works done and then ask him to do so in Brunei.. and see what are the application you need to fill up and what documents you need to show or provide.. try to gather the maximum of information on both side, or you can get help from a solicitor :)

I hope the other members will give you more feedback

Best of luck to both of you and feel free to ask your questions on the Forum pls ;)

Thank you

Maximilien
Expat-blog Team

Greetings and salutations,

Wow! 8 years is a long time to have a long distance relationship. Im glad you guys worked things out.

Id like to begin by saying, that its easier for a female expat, when married to a bruneian male, to get a PR.
There are just a few snags, regarding religion. Please excuse my being forward. For example, if you're a non-muslim, and he is a muslim, then technically, they will not marry you here until you convert.
If you were planning on converting, you could potentially do the converting elsewhere, marry and THEN come back to brunei. I would suggest to NOT do that. Trust me, from personal experience it becomes a longwinded red tape warfare.

If you and him are both non-muslims, then I think it would be less of an issue

Regardless of religion, from Brunei-side, your fiancee needs to get permission to marry you from department of immigration. theyre not too fussy i believe, but there will be some documentation required, like birth certificates, something verifying your current marital status

Theres a whole bunch else to do, but hard to explain without all the details

so let me know if this is useful. if you need any more help dont hesitate to write. my email address is [email protected]

laters!

Of course, Tanisha, the word kindredad should be using is 'revert', not 'convert'. According to Islam, we are all born Muslims.

But I too am impressed: 8 years long distance relationship! You are obviously meant for each other and I, for one, wish you all the best!