Applying for Permanent Residency in Guatemala

I need to obtain an official police report/record from the Guatemalan authorities. With what agency would I go about requesting this information ?
Cordially,
Amy Toledo

Hi Amy Toledo,

Welcome to Expat-Blog ;)

Thank you

Maximilien
Expat-blog Team

Hello,

From what I understand, you need to file for a criminal background check from the FBI here in the states.  In Guatemala they would have no idea what your background may be, so they want verification from the states that you have no criminal background.

I hope this helps.

Thank you.
I did find all of the requirements from the U.S. Embassy in Guatemala for applying for permanent residency.
If any one would like to obtain a copy from me just let me know.
Thank you for responding,
Cordially,
Amy

I assume you meant "for" rather than "from" in your first post. Start at the A42 Guatemala page. You fill child pages with both Guatemalan Immigration links and decent descriptions of the residency types available.

As for obtaining police reports, the right answer will depend on what state you apply to. Some states (Arizona, for example) send you to the FBI. On the other hand, Washington state allows you to request what you want on-line (no finger prints and such). You print out the report and can then mail it to the state to request an official copy. Fast, cheap and easy.

No I meant 'from'. I already have all my paperwork in order from the States. I was asking where do I go to in Guatemala to obtain my police report from the Guatemalan authorities to see if I have a record in their country.

Thank you for your response it was helpful.
Cordially,
Amy

OK, I was confused. So, you have lived in Guatemala? While I don't know this for sure for Guatemala, what you need are police reports from where you have "lived" (generally for the past five years) where being in a country as a tourist does not count.

This should be easy to verify. The Immigration site that is pointed to from A42 has an on-line form for asking questions. I used it before I applied for residency here and got a prompt and informative answer.

This is quite different from Costa Rica or Nicaragua and asking from the folks who will ultimate have to process your paperwork is always best if it is possible.

You need to go to a police station and ask which one of the stations in the city you need to go to receive your "antecedentes penales."

Great information. Thank you, Gautegringo & Nicafyl.

My family in Guate is so confused, this will help. They just want me to "hurry up, fly down,  & get started" . They are the best "in-laws" and I am proud to be a part of the family.

Probably will be there by the end of the month.

See ya'll soon,
Amy

Hi Amy
please send me a copy thanks

Antecedentes penales y judiciales > Justice palace (wherever you are in Guatemala there is one) 
Antecendentes policiacos > PNC (Policia Nacional Civil)
Of course you must be registered in Guatemala before you can get this ... (last five years) .. and not as a tourist (you are not supposed to live here five years as a tourist !)
Otherwise the country where you have lived the last five years, and translated oficially into spanish ...
I got mine from my country , long ago .. but now get them whenever i want with my DPI (before CEDULA) from PNC / Justice ...

HELLO , I JUST WANTED TO FOLLOW UP THAT I SENT THE REQUESTED MATERIAL TO YOU.
BEST REGARDS,
AMY

Hi Amy,

Can you please avoid using caps lock when posting on the Forum just as to ease the reading :)

Thank you

Maximilien

Got the info Amy! Gracias :)