Importing UK Motorcycle to Egypt

Hi

I was wondering if anyone has any information on who to speak to or knows of who I would need to speak to about making enquiries to import my motorcycle if I decide to move to Egypt. I've read about the carnet du passage but this looks as though it is for temporary residence of a vehicle??? Any help would be greatly appreciated. What are the rates of tax on imports.

I could not be without my beloved motorbike . . . please help!!!!

Many thanks
Victoria Hunt

Hi Victoria,

Welcome to Egypt in advance, tell me wt kind,model & specifications to check it.

Hello Victoria.

Perhaps this thread might help --> Bringing the motorbike to Cairo.

Thanks.

Karen :)

Victoria, I looked at bringing my lovely Jaguar 4L V8 over thinking that with petrol prices here, it would be a bonanza but the import tax was extortionate. Absolutely ridiculous, so sadly I had to sell her before coming out. It might be different for motorbikes as they are a lot cheaper in Egypt that cars. I will see if I can find the documentation for you.

Regards, Tim

Hi
to the carne de passage (or trip ticket as they are known here) is a bit useless - becuase you would only have the vehicle for 6 months of the year - for the other 6 months it either has to be parked in a designated car park, or taken ouyt of the country for the entire time.

Not sure what the import taxes on a motor bike would be - but I would imagine they would be high, also when importing a car there are liitations on its age and you have to have been the sole owner.
Again not sure if the same rules appy to motor bikes.

Hi,

I have a Suzuki GSXR 600cc motorcycle

Many thanks
Victoria Hunt

Hi,

Thanks for your message. :)

Hi Victoria, use this site. You don't have to register and it will give you an idea. Be prepared for a shock.

http://www.dutycalculator.com/

You aren't kidding . . . my heart just skipped a beat!!! Looks like I will be leaving my baby behind if I move out there!!!!

The good news is that bikes are not that expensive here and I have found an Egyptian motorcycle riders website with bikes etc for sale.

http://egybikers.com/home.asp

Never mind, I had to do the same thing, its tough, I know.

Tim

Sorry for the bump

You can use another passport, perhaps if you are a dual citizen, or the passport of your husband. Once you leave the country with the bike, you can re-enter and stamp the 6 months into your spouse's passport. You being his wife means you too are allowed to ride the vehicle.

With regards to the 4L V8 Jag, again, the same thing can be done. Two separate passports is what is required. Do try to wait for the faces at the customs to change, they might remember you. Perhaps try another land border?

There are people who bring in cars sawed in half and then re-weld them and declare as assembled locally, or simply bribe the local transport department to issue documents OR use flooded/salvaged cars and modify the VIN number on the database or weld the new VIN rivet in place of the old one. With your motorcycle, I'm sure you could get it stripped down, sent in as parts as "Household goods" and then re-assembled. Your best bet then would be a Egyptian auto importer who probably has his own... "connections".

Hello 420weblazeit

Thanks for the info! :top:

This thread being inactive since 2013, you may not receive any response, but your useful infos are most welcome  :thanks:

Kenjee
Expat.com Team

Anyone have any information on importing a bike to Egypt then driving it up to Israel?

You don't "import" as that means nationalizing and plating the bike in Egypt. You drive a bike to Greece, then take a ferry to Egypt, or you take a ferry to Morocco via Spain and drive to Egypt (which is dangerous, so stick with the Greek path) and then temporarily import it (stamping the VIN/transit plate number in your passport) then you get the vehicle and yourself stamped out at the Taba crossing and into Israel

Ahhhh that sounds pretty awesome. Are there any fees involved stamping in and out of Egypt? Also do you know anyone who has done it successfully? You're getting me excited here :)

Price is for the entry visa. Anything you would pay to enter. Stamp should be free. No fees. Not sure about frontier insurance coverage, shouldn't be any. The 60% astronomic import duty fee in Israel is what you should be worried about :\