Work in Serbia for Americans, cost of living?

Hello all,

I am getting married next month to a Serbian man and I know eventually he would like to move back to Novi Sad. I spent alot of time living in Germany and speak fluent German so I somewhat understand life in Europe. My basic questions are for someone that speaks english and German would there be work? and my fiance always raves about how easy life is in Serbia but don't people work? Is life really so much slower and better in Serbia? Thank you.

Whether there will be job or work, depends on what your profession is. For example, I am an English Language Teacher and it is hard for me to find employment here in Serbia, my own country. That is why I am leaving for China to work there for one year. However, life in general is peaceful, relaxed and people are friendly and hospitable towards others.

My sister in law is also a english teacher in Novi Sad. Since I ride horses I was thinking to maybe find a barn to do something in because I went to school for healthcare. Good luck in China! I have also heard life is a lot slower than here.

Also side note, do you know any good websites or programs to learn Serbian?

101languages.net/serbian/

Hope this helps.

Maybe you can find something around healthcare.... Not sure about horses though. There are riding schools and horse breeders here but I am not familiar with them, sorry. :(

Good luck to you.

Hi,
Let me know what kind of learning material you need, I can send you.
Ivana

Hello,
I am an American living in South East Serbia. I married a Serb 6 years ago and now we have a little girl. I write about my life here in my blog Chronicles of Serbia formerly on Blogspot now on Wordpress. I leave out most of the frustrations to be honest. I try to be positive and don't want to piss people off.

I visited here with the hubby two times for five months and we have just moved here for "good" last November. To be honest, I am just getting my sea legs! We have a little girl who is a year and a half old that has made this time quite a challenge.

NO matter where you are, finding work is a CHALLENGE! but if you are resourceful and determined I am sure you can find something in Novi Sad. It is a beautiful city, full of great people. Serbs are warm and welcoming once you get to know them.  I am sure you know that!

I recommend coming to visit and scoping things out before deciding to move. Really.

I also recommend a book called Career in your suitcase. career-in-your-suitcase.com/ I have just read it and found it helpful in SOOO many ways!

For learning Serbian, I have been using Livemocha. It helped I had been studying a bit before I started.

All the best, feel free to ask me any questions!
Tina