Places to visit in Afghanistan

Hi,

For the ones living in Afghanistan, what would you suggest to discover the country?

When you have friends or family visiting you, where do you go with them? What are the must-see places in Afghanistan, the tourist sites?

How to visit the country in an original way? Any unusual or unknown place to recommend?

What would you suggest for a couple of days of for a week of holidays in Afghanistan?

Thank you in advance for participating. ;)

Julie

Hi Julie
I lived in Afghan for almost 4 years, I just left there a few months ago, There are many nice places to visit - The northern cities of Herat and Mazar E Sharif are a must - both ciites have wonderful ancient Islamic sites in and around the cities,great shopping and there are small hotels you can easily stay at ( expect to pay USD 90 per night)  Domestic flights in Kam air from Kabul run several times per day. .....Also, visit Bamiyan Vally if you can get there - no flights, but if you are attached to the UN, you can request a complimentary UN chopper flight - very diffficult to organise though. Its not possible to drive to Bamiyan, sadly.  If you have money to burn, contact Untamed Borders in the UK - They offer land/flight Afghan comprehensive tours including Bamiyan.  In winter you can trek and back country ski there, in summer, trekking with a guide.  Closer to kabul, take a day trip to Panjshir Valley for a nice picnic and lovely mountain scenery; no hotels up there though. Also visit the pottery making village of Istalif about an hour outside Kabul. Its a quaint hill station with arts and crafts. Spend 3 days in Kabul visiting the various historical sites and the musuem; there are plenty of hotels for different price ranges in the city. Contact Afghan Logisitcs for car/driver hire, or any other type of assistance or security if you wish for it. You get to Afghan via Dubai, where you must obtain a 1 month tourist visa for entry and fly either Safi Air or Fly Dubai,, there are 4 flights per night from Dubai. Please let me know what else travel advice you need. Autumn is the pretties time, and weather still warm at day and little cool at night. Its a gret country tovisit and I wish more would do so but they are too afraid!  Regards, Mare

Hello MEtravel :)

Thank you for your contribution.

Regards.

Karen :)

Me travel is the best expat  about Afghanistan thanks

Hi, you can now take a direct flight (East Horizon) to Bamyian from Kabul four days a week.

Hi Saboor, thanks for this update -  So it this current info about the East Horizon flight info? Have you taken this flight? Have you been to bamiyan recently? If so , please let me know, as I would like to visit there for this years ski event which is , I think , next month. Thanks, Mare

Hi,
Yes I have been to bamiyan twice in 2014. I do not know if the flights schedules are changed now but for sure you can find flights easily. I am a freelance Video journalist and documentary filmmaker. I have produced a video about the 4th annual ski challenge in Bamiyan for US Newsweek Magazine. Here is the link: dailymotion.com/video/x1k9i8x_skiing-afghanistan-style_lifestyle

I recommend you watch the video if you need more about Bamiyan and Skiing style there:)

You can watch more videos I have produced by searching for ' SAB Advertising ' page on Facebook or Youtube.

I know some people who organize the event annually in the Bamiyan ski club. I can help you reach those guys.

HI, thanks so much for your information. I went to the ski event during its very first year ...We stayed in a very primitive hotel hear the airport, and there wasn't any international support or guests back then, ( I worked in Kabul at the time so it was easy for me to go) but I see each year its getting better and lots of media coverage too which is great for the people of the Bamiyan region.  Please do send me a direct contact of the organisers if you can, so maybe I can organize myself to go this year.  One has to be very fit to walk up the mountain!! Much thanks, cheers Mare - PS where are you based?