Places to visit in Beirut

Hi,

For the ones living in Beirut, what would you suggest to discover the region?

When you have friends or family visiting you, where do you go with them? What are the must-see places in Beirut, the tourist sites?

How to visit the region in an original way? Any unusual or unknown place to recommend?

What would you suggest for a couple of days of for a week of holidays in Beirut?

Thank you in advance for participating ;)

Julie

My husband and I like to visit places the funnest way possible--so, ditch the tour bus and take local transportation; talk to the locals (yes, the laugh at our Arabic), and eat at all the places that make tasty food that was probably not certified by the Ministry of Health.  So, I'm not sure if our style would work for everyone, but if you're looking for authentic ventures that might not be as neatly packaged as a tour guide would offer, here are some suggestions:

1) for nature lovers--go to the Cedars once for patriotism's sake, but if you want to avoid the touristy feel, there's better places.  The drive to Tannourine is great.  Also, if you drive north to this tiny town called Fiaa, park in the village square and you will find out the west side of the village square is a trail that goes to an amazing overlook.  Believe me, zero tourists.  It takes maybe one or two hours to walk and is quite lovely. 

2) Jeita Grotto is full of tourists, but it is an AMAZING cave and I recommend it for everyone.  Prices are very reasonable, too.

3) If you go to Chekka in the north and drive along the coast just a bit south of town, before you go through the tunnel you will find some big rocks in the water.  These are super fun to jump from--and you don't have to pay a beach fee or contend with other swimmers.