Places to visit in Suzhou

Hi,

For the ones living in Suzhou, what would you suggest to discover the region?

When you have friends or family visiting you, where do you go with them? What are the must-see places in Suzhou, the tourist sites?

How to visit the region in an original way? Any unusual or unknown place to recommend?

What would you suggest for a couple of days of for a week of holidays in Suzhou?

Thank you in advance for participating ;)

Julie

In my 3 weeks of stay in Suzhou, I've been to two tourist spots: Jinji Lake and the Old City at Pingjiang Road.

Jinji Lake has this sidewalk that takes you on a walk on the side of the lake. The view looks a bit like the Singapore harbor with the colorful light display of the area near Time Square illuminating it from afar at night. There are also a lot of restaurants nearby.

Pingjiang Road is an 800-year old street that's well-preserved. The narrow street is a walking street that's open to pedestrians and vehicles alike. Electric bikes mix with the people and some cars even pass thru it. There's a lot of food vendors and stores selling everything from fans to bamboo radios there.

I've heard my friends talking about Tiger Hill. That's where we'll be going to next.

Hello Larry Legend.

Thank you for your contribution.

Regards

Karen :)

One thing we like to show visitors is Tiger Hill. We take a taxi there, then when we leave we take a canal boat down to Shantang Street (the boats are near the Tiger Hill entrance - which is not quite near the Tiger Hill exit, but they're not hard to find). Shantang Street is a very quaint, touristy street, but if you keep walking back towards Tiger Hill, you come across some some unique alleyways and get to see the less touristy side of the Old Town. After seeing Shantang Street, either take a taxi back home or the metro, now that Line 2 is running (is it?) I think there might be a station not too far from Shantang Street (but I'm not sure). Does that help??