Places to visit in Shanghai

Hi,

For the ones living in Shanghai, what would you suggest to discover the region?

When you have friends or family visiting you, where do you go with them? What are the must-see places in Shanghai, the tourist sites?

How to visit the region in an original way? Any unusual or unknown place to recommend?

What would you suggest for a couple of days of for a week of holidays in Shanghai?

Thank you in advance for participating ;)

Julie

The Bund comes first, with Huanpu River, cool wind, old buildings, it would be the best choice in summer.
Shanghai Expo Site, the second. Unfortunately, only a China Pavilion is left there now, like Shanghai Museum. You can visit some museums here instead.
Then what about Duolun road culture street with some former sites of Chinese celebrities?
Wish you luck!

Thanks berrylew, I will probably come to Shanghai for one week in September, any information is very appreciated :)

Hi Julien,
Hope you enjoy your journey.I may will go to take part in this activity too.
Berry

There is the Bund as already stated, from there take the Tunnel under the river to the Pudong side and go to the top of the Oriental Pearl Tower (higher than the Empire State Building in NYC).

Also worth a visit is the Shanghai Museum, and the Yu Garden. If your after shopping then head to Nanjing Lu. This is easily the #1 commercial street  in China.

If you have time, hop on the speed train and head down to Suzhou (just 30-40 min away). Suzhou is a beautiful water front town, famous for it's canals and gardens in the Old Town. I gave the last year living here, before moving to Shanghai.

I hope that is of some help.

Cathal81 wrote:

There is the Bund as already stated, from there take the Tunnel under the river to the Pudong side and go to the top of the Oriental Pearl Tower (higher than the Empire State Building in NYC).

Also worth a visit is the Shanghai Museum, and the Yu Garden. If your after shopping then head to Nanjing Lu. This is easily the #1 commercial street  in China.

If you have time, hop on the speed train and head down to Suzhou (just 30-40 min away). Suzhou is a beautiful water front town, famous for it's canals and gardens in the Old Town. I gave the last year living here, before moving to Shanghai.

I hope that is of some help.

The next day you would be killed ,and before you close your eye you'll be told"You know too much!"

Thanks a lot for the advice !

I am flying to Shanghai in a few days and this thread is definitely of interest to me :)

All of the above! But I'd like to emphasize the Shanghai Museum - MUCH better than I thought it would be!

There are too many places worth to visit in Shanghai but I am not sure you are all interesting...
If you have some times you can just go by High-speed trains from Shanghai to around like Nanjing, Suzhou and Hangzhou within two hours. random plans is not bad.