Taxes

Maybe I overlooked somewhere on the forum but what are the taxes for Australia.  Currently I live in Tennessee & I believe I pay 9.75% on everything I buy.  There is no state tax.  Any info would be appreciated.

We have a 10% GST. It covers just about everything but is already applied to the price of goods when you purchase them.

Foreigners on working visas pay no income tax.

There are no hidden taxes you need to pay for during your stay.

Petrol, Alcohol and Cigarettes are fairly heavily taxed by the government if you were curious.

Hi, M.  If you are planning to move to Australia, I'd suggest to first move to a US state with higher/more taxes than TN if taxes are a concern for you.  I grew up in Illinois and Indiana, and Illinois taxed everything higher than Indiana (except car registration at the state level, but Illinois city councils can charge additional car registration fees, via a car 'city sticker') and in Illinois, city and county and state sales taxes are also levied in areas.  And all that plus the usual state and federal income tax.

Australia levies higher taxes than Illinois however (through fees and 'stamp duties'), but more taxes generally means more available services from the government and I've found Australia to be a fairly equitable place to be.

Hope that helps a bit!

joerobson wrote:

but more taxes generally means more available services from the government

We don't have all that much to show from our fairly high taxes to be honest.

Maybe not when compared to, say, Scandinavia, though I've never lived there... But maybe so, when Australia is compared to the USA, which is what I was comparing it to, having lived there for 25 years.

Yeah I used to live in Northwest IN myself so we had our state taxes & I know the prices of Chicago since my grandma still lives in Lansing.  I guess one of these days I will just have to visit Australia & find out for myself.  I have several factors to take into consideration my kids, wife, insurance costs till we would get citizenship.  I appreciate the info though !

Hello, I am rowan atkinson.
I guess one of these days I will just have to visit Australia & find out for myself.  I have several factors to take into consideration my kids, wife, insurance costs till we would get citizenship.  I appreciate the info though !

Mr. Bean ?