TV Channels

In response to redgems inquiry on another thread I mut say that my experience tells me that SHOWTIME is the best service provider for American Music, TV, Soaps, Documentaries, Educational and News Channels.

I am a subscriber to SHOWBOX on Showtime and it provides me the facuility of having two TV's in my home connected to the Receiver where we can watch separate p[rograms concurrently and also has the facility to RECORD, ARCHIVE, REWIND and catch up on missed programs when we are not home.

The customer service, all the wea from Dubai online real time on telep[hone, email or sms, is simply BRILLIANT.

musicman,

cost, please.  Also, does this involve a 'dish' ?  I'm in a company compound--they're pretty uptight about this stuff.

yes, it requires a dish and receiver which are both provided by Showtime when they come over to install the service. All I did was call the toll free number, a lady answered and in half anhour they were at my doorstep to instal it after I made payment using my CC. Even the technicians who came over (expats of course) were extremely friendly and courteous.

thanks for the info.  if you can provide some info on cost, would be great! thanks again!

I am paying SR 2K for a six months subscription of ORBIT Showtime/Showbox which you can check out here:-

http://www.sho.com/site/

The subscription rates differ based on what service package you choose. Call or email them and they are extremely prompt, courteous and positive in their responses.

I also have a PEHLA subscription, mainly to watch my cricket, which costs me around SR 150 per month and contains lots of movie, news, and other English, Indiuan, Pakistani, African, European, and Arabic Channels too.

See http://pehlatv.net/DLFIPL2010/tabid/207/Default.aspx

Thge subscription offices are located on King Fahd Road, (RIGHT) going south from Aruba Road (KINGDOM TOWER) intersection on the service road immediately after the intersection before SAMBA Fahd Rd Branch.

We used a local to put in our cable and they have to come and update the service monthly. If they don't come by as required, then you dont get your channels.    So be sure to use the ORBIT/SHOWTIME folks.   Lesson learned!

fully agree... outsourcing is NOT the answer for these critical jobs that are relevant to such services. so many quacks floating around the market these days, promsing the sun and the moon. dont get taken for a grand ride...

Has anyone on here use a "dream box"?

Good idea or bad?

(I am led to believe there is a decoder called Dream Box, which you plug into the DSL line and satellite etc...)

any info would be most appreciated.

Thanks

"Dream Box" is a decoder that can hack into to any pay TV such as Showtime or Orbit on any of the know Satellite (Nilestie, Arabsat & HotBird) using DSL internet connection. However, if you have kids you need to delete the XXX channels (more than 30 channels) :cool:

the whole thing might cost you up to 500 SAR the first time and 200 SAR every 6 months to update.

Haver Fun!!!!

Bu Abood wrote:

"Dream Box" is a decoder that can hack into to any pay TV such as Showtime or Orbit on any of the know Satellite (Nilestie, Arabsat & HotBird) using DSL internet connection. However, if you have kids you need to delete the XXX channels (more than 30 channels) :cool:

the whole thing might cost you up to 500 SAR the first time and 200 SAR every 6 months to update.

Haver Fun!!!!

Thank you - much appreciated

musicman wrote:

I am a subscriber to SHOWBOX on Showtime and it provides me the facuility of having two TV's in my home connected to the Receiver where we can watch separate programs concurrently and also has the facility to RECORD, ARCHIVE, REWIND and catch up on missed programs when we are not home.

Hi MusicMan,

Does your package include any sports channel featuring World Wrestling Entertainment (WWE) programs coverage? I couldn't find any info on their website.

I use Pehla mainly cos of the Cricket and they do have several other ESPN channels that show WWE etc which are of no interest to me. My sports fancy are Cricket, Rugby, Tennis and Billiards/Snooker.

Showtime also has a package with Sports included but I am not sure which ones they are.

I think PEHLA is better for Sports freaks.

Showtime - shows the football (premier league UK), cricket (england & aussies..more than others), plus a host of other sports WWE, etc...

Pehla - as well as the cricket (focus on India, Srilanka and Pakistan), they also have the Al Riyadh sports channels, which show the european football and a host of other sports.

Both are excellent.

Dear All,

Please any one help me to find out dreambox receiver, i mean just let me know from where i can buy this type of receivers here in Riyadh and how to install and subscribe to the service.

A friend told me that there is a new receiver called DRUMMER2 that not only works much better than the dream box but also it has much more channels offered. Does anyone has info:

- Where to get it from?
- Why does it need an internet connection (if applicable). My understanding is that the transmission is received from dish antenna and internet is used to decrypt signals.
- Do you know anyone who can install it efficiently?
- Is such thing legal in Saudi Arabia? I heard that some hackers/crackers provide subscription codes. (So it's not legal then!)

There are several variations of the DreamBox (receiver that plugs and gets codes by ethernet). Some call Sting, Strong, and many other names. You just have to get the right hook up. They go by subscription of 750SAR/mo. or more if you don't haggle.

But for me, I've noticed a few things about me and TV. I can't live off tv schedule, so I record shows. But then I realized something else, these shows are old, or cancelled. So...I now live off downloading and then watching on the tv. It's much more convenient to stay up to date with the rest of the world :)

OSN has a basic plan for 700SAR a year I think. But it's very limited, so those who want to go legit, can try that out. It's missing the +2 channels and some movie ones I believe

Dream Box - equipment (receiver & dish) ONE off cost  700 - 1000 riyals (depending on your haggling skills)  (cost includes installation if you don't want to do it yourself)

Subscription - 350SR  every 6 months

You get all the channels - Pehla, Orbit, Showtime etc...

There are a number of outlets doing these boxes in Suliemaniya, off Tahlia Street near to Chilis.

They actually sent a person around to my place to install everything - takes 30 - 40 mins. I paid him after everything was working.

If you want the number of the person I used  just PM me.:)

Saudi UK: I got a dream box installed last month (my first connection) for a total of 900 SR..the guy told me I have to get the connection renewed (probably a new receiver) every 6-8 month by paying 300 SR..got a single NILE SAT dish for a huge variety of channels..

Honestly, I don`t recommend this stuff. It depends on a broadband connection. I've had intermittent problems with the STC connection. Despite a good connection, you might experience a lag of a few days while these guys try to save their back (my provider had his office raided and i was offline for a week...better to get a connection with a smaller bouquet but more reliable and legal!

I have been using Dream Box for 7 months now.

No problems at all. My internet is with "Go", works great.

Im getting Nilesat, Arabsat and Hotbird, from the one satellite - they installed everything.

The subscription 300SR - they upgrade the programme in the box to unscrabble the signals.

My colleagues have been using the service for over 3 years they are all :)

I just got Dreambox, I chose the Nilesat dish and I have nearly 650 channels inc. Showsports, but I am unable to find UK Premier League games. It seems no channel has the rights for it this year! :(

Dear All,

Greetings,

I am very new to all this, i am here in Riyadh Could any one tell me from where I can buy Internet Receiver, what things I should have to RUN this service. Thanks for anticipation
Please mail me on [email protected]

Thanks and Regards
Firoz

Hi all,
I live in USA and I want to watch arabsat, can anyone tell me how to configure and use dreambox and a DSL internet connection to get the arabsat channels.

Thanks in advance

english premier league games are on the abu dhabi sports package....as for the dreambox i know for a fact that orbit showtime are starting to use new engrypted signals which will not be picked up by dreamboxes supposedly this will start by the end of december....so if anyone has a subscription up for renewal i would hold on and not do it till u know for sure whats going on with the signal

Hi,
I just went to chech out Showtime site. They only list their own channels. Do you get any others international channels (like say Granada TV, BBC, RAI, TV5, etc)?
Is cable TV an option in Riyadh?
Thanks.
Steven

dreambox, hummer2 or any other internet operated STBs are a good option if you are not a TV fanatic. Although it is a cheap alternative to the regular subscriber service, but do keep in mind expected downtime, which I have experienced to last anywhere from 30 mins to one week, with the the cable provider giving excuses as service is being reprogrammed, the servers are being upgraded, maybe you need to switch from STC to GO and blah blah .

Eventually I have settled for a mixture of subscriber as well as the internet operated STBs.. so if the internet one goes down for watever reason, I still have a back up .

Premier League is shown on Nova Sports (english lang)(which is available on dream box ~ nilesat)

its been 6months now that i have cancelled my orbit showtime because.. and still i have the decoder and dish.. and i do not want to subscribe anymore as i need only the free satellite channels.

would it be possible to use the decoder and dish for the free satellite channels?