Vacation in the Philippines

Long story short, I'm 33 and I've never taken a vacation. Longer story short, I was supposed to move to the Philippines for a year to work on my dissertation, but before that happened, I decided to leave my field for another.

I always wanted to have that experience abroad, though. It's partly why I chose a dissertation topic that would send me there. The most traveling I have ever done was a year in Toronto during my Master's. Being an American from the East Coast, it was hardly an "international experience".

So, I thought I'd have a mini version of the experience that never was and vacation to the Philippines. As I've never taken a vacation before, I have no idea where to begin in terms of figuring out where to go and whatnot.

I prefer the countryside over urban areas, but I also like the performing arts and other cultural outlets (which tend to be in urban areas). It seems contrary, but I currently live in New England so it's easy to be in a rural area but only an hour or so away from a good theater. I like nature, especially mountains/hills, forests, and rivers, but recently went to a beach and discovered I actually liked that, too. I don't know how much, if any, this helps.

Also, one thing I was thinking of doing is getting a pen pal or a few beforehand. I won't actually be able to take this trip for a while (probably about 6 months) due to work obligations, but I figured if I made some friends with whom I'd be able to hang out wherever I'm going, that would be all the better when I get there. Can anyone advise as to how one goes about such a thing?

Thanks for reading, and I'd appreciate any advice on the matter. Regards!

Welcome!!

It would be good to know your time frame and how much cash you want to spend.  Luzon has a huge city, plenty of countryside, and some cooler mountains.  Best time as a tourist for me has always been from the end of October until February, the cool dry months with no typhoons.  The 21 day tourist visa can be extended to 6 months now days, so that should not be a problem.  You need to do some research and ask more specific questions to get a feel for what is out there.

I could see myself possibly doing February. You're right about doing research. That's what I'm starting here. However, I've never traveled before (outside the U.S), so I don't even know where to begin.

Kneller wrote:

Long story short, I'm 33 and I've never taken a vacation. Longer story short, I was supposed to move to the Philippines for a year to work on my dissertation, but before that happened, I decided to leave my field for another.

I always wanted to have that experience abroad, though. It's partly why I chose a dissertation topic that would send me there. The most traveling I have ever done was a year in Toronto during my Master's. Being an American from the East Coast, it was hardly an "international experience".

So, I thought I'd have a mini version of the experience that never was and vacation to the Philippines. As I've never taken a vacation before, I have no idea where to begin in terms of figuring out where to go and whatnot.

I prefer the countryside over urban areas, but I also like the performing arts and other cultural outlets (which tend to be in urban areas). It seems contrary, but I currently live in New England so it's easy to be in a rural area but only an hour or so away from a good theater. I like nature, especially mountains/hills, forests, and rivers, but recently went to a beach and discovered I actually liked that, too. I don't know how much, if any, this helps.

Also, one thing I was thinking of doing is getting a pen pal or a few beforehand. I won't actually be able to take this trip for a while (probably about 6 months) due to work obligations, but I figured if I made some friends with whom I'd be able to hang out wherever I'm going, that would be all the better when I get there. Can anyone advise as to how one goes about such a thing?

Can you tell me what kind of work you do??..What is your monthly budget?? With a little more info I can suggest some places to stay which are considered clean and safe..

This country is a real culture shock with someone of your limited traveling experience...I am a 2 year Vietnam Vet and even with all the BS I went through over there in the late 60's; this country with its huge gap between rich and poor, corruption, many ethnic cultural dialects, congestive traffic, dangerous highways and roads, little respect for life, beggars, thieves, prostitutes, rebels, terrorists, typhoons, monsoons, dengue and malaria fever, viral / parasite diseases, rivers & streets which are trash / septic dumps, etc, etc. makes it even hard for a seasoned guy like me not to just pack up and leave...

However, on the bright side, you have some of the most beautiful beaches, lush tropical settings, WOMEN, modern malls, colorful friendly people(depends where), low housing costs in rural areas only, fast food, exotic resorts, etc, etc in the world...So if it is this you are looking for and you have the discipline to disregard or take the appropriate precautions to avoid all the negatives mentioned than by all means jump on that plane and get yourself over here for an experience of a lifetime...You'll have plenty to write about...

Before you do make sure you get a series of vaccines such as Hep B, tetanus, diphtheria, etc, etc...Upon arrival be ready to safeguard all your valuables as well as your own safety...There are many here who will immediately see you as a target for easy pickings...

Whatever you decide to do GOOD LUCK in your future endeavors...

:cheers:

Upon arriving at the airport here, before you have your entry visa stamped; request from the customs officer you wish to extend from a 21 day to a 59 day or a 6 month visa...They will have you pay the fees right there and give you the visa you require...If not you will have to go through a lot of BS at Immigration in Manila..

A few things...

It's just a vacation. Probably only 10 days, so I'm not worried about visa extensions or anything. I'm just planning to get in, chill out for a while, and get out.

I'm not sure at what regions of the country I should be taking a closer look. I just want a relatively decent chill place where I can hit some beaches, relax in some cafes, and maybe catch some shows.

Someone mentioned fast food, but I also want to mention that I maintain a rather healthy diet. I avoid saturated fats, too much sodium, HF corn syrup and other simple sugars, so I need to be able to get some decent food, too.

Thanks for the tips on vaccines. I'm definitely planning on it. Another reason I'm waiting so long is so I have time for a hep vaccine (which takes 6 months for all doses).

But, yeah, for starters, are there particular parts of the country where I should focus more of my attention?

If your only in the Phils for 10 days, would pick one of the following: Cebu, Boracay, Palawan or outside areas of Manila (Batangas or Subic).

Depends on your budget and activities.

As for vaccines, unless your going into the jungles (which there are not many), would not be worried about them. Just watch what  you eat and drink.

dhnindc wrote:

If your only in the Phils for 10 days, would pick one of the following: Cebu, Boracay, Palawan or outside areas of Manila (Batangas or Subic).

Depends on your budget and activities.

As for vaccines, unless your going into the jungles (which there are not many), would not be worried about them. Just watch what  you eat and drink.

Everyone visiting this country wanting to partake in a intimate relationship had better consider getting Hep "B" vaccine for over 10% of the population here is infected with it many of whom are carriers and show no symptoms whatsoever...

dhnindc...My advice to you if you haven't had Hep B and dont have the anti body in your blood you are playing with fire should you even be only kissing Filipinos...Hep B can be transmitted by only a toothbrush..LOL...Get the vaccine if you have not done so...

Kneller wrote:

In your original posting you say you will stay ONE YEAR not 10 DAYS...

So if you only plan to stay 10 days that is not much time to take in enough info for your dissertation thesis...In that case if it is only a vacation I would suggest Boracay Island or if you prefer a lessor expensive vacation with the same type of beaches and friendly atmosphere than you may want to consider Bantayan Island NW of Cebu...

Another thing to take note on...Most Filipino food is fattening and is prepared with lots of cane sugar...Quality vegetables are expensive here and 4 and 5 star restaurants are almost non existent especially in rural areas where 3 star is even a rare breed..

If you want good beach you should definitely check Boracay it is the party island here in Ph. In Palawan you should go to Coron or El Nido. You will also see there one of the 7 wonders of nature in Puerto Princesa the Underground river.

For climbing mountains you can start in batangas one of the easiest climb is Mt.Batulao.
You can check out this link for lists of mountains here in the Ph:
http://www.pinoymountaineer.com/2008/05 … egion.html