Buying a car

Hi folks,

I am due to be moving out to FL for approx 12 months, I have read that I will have to get a FL driving license as I will be resident for longer than 3 months. I also read that I can apply for an International Drivers Permit, I assume this would cover me for the time it takes to get a FL driving license?

Also, is there anything in particular you need to buy a car? Obviously renting a car is pricey so I want to be able to buy something within a few days of arriving, is this possible?

Any info would be much appreciated!!!

Fraz_C

I have never lived in Florida, but each state has its own rules for buying and licensing vehicles.  Some require you to already have a local driver's license, some require you to have local insurance, I would just call the Florida state Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles and ask them.  Outside of license and insurance, there really are no other requirements, although you may have trouble qualifying for a loan with no US credit history (if you do not plan on paying cash).

The international driver's license thing is not really an official document, it is simply a translation of your license into 10 or 15 different languages.  If your current license is already in English, the international thing is pretty useless.