Relocating from Thailand to Ho Chi Minh?

Hi everyone, my first post here on the forum! :D

Where to start.. So, I have been working in hotels for over 10 years now. I am currently working at a resort in Phuket, Thailand and have been living here for 1 and a half years.  Although there are frustrations as with any country, generally speaking I feel Thailand is a great country.. I love the craziness of Bangkok to the laid back vibe of Chiang Mai however I have come to really dislike living in Phuket over these past few months... for lots of reasons which I am sure many of you may already be aware of if you have visited this rather expensive and over-commercialized island.

Another point is that it is becoming increasingly difficult and frustrating for foreigners to find work here (especially in my field of work) as visa/work permits are becoming harder to obtain due to the strict work/visa regulations enforced by the government. I do understand that Vietnam is also difficult although perhaps not to the extent of Thailand.

So back to my main point.. I have no intentions to return home to the UK just yet as I love SE Asia, so I am considering moving to either Vietnam or the Philippines.. with my first choice being Vietnam and in particular Ho Chi Minh City (I miss the buzz of city life!)

-Generally speaking is it difficult to find work (in particular hotel work) as an expat in HCMC?

-Are work permits difficult to obtain?

-Is it easier to find work before moving there or is it easier to move there and then find work? I ask this as I have sent my Resume off to so many places with barely a response back.. I am sure that networking is a huge factor in finding work there.

-As a UK citizen, if I obtained a 90 day tourist visa, are you able to renew this (like Thailand) by doing visa runs and re-entering the country? This would be particularly useful if I moved there to find work as it would give me more time to find a suitable position.

My apologies for the long first post, but I am really interesting in hearing fellow expats views who may give me a better insight into work/life in HCMC! And if it is a destination I should realistically be considering..

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Hi,I would put a post on Lonely Planet Thorn Tree, there is a guy on the Viet Nam branch called Hanno, he has been working in the hotel industry here for 20 years. Im sure he could help with your request.

Many thanks Colinoscapee, I will try and contact him

Yes, I saw your post and Hanno replied.