Transportation in Phnom Penh, please advise

Hello!

In June this year I am relocating to Cambodia for at least 12 months. As far as I know there is no public transportation available apart from tuk-tuks and moto taxis.

Obviously, living there and trying to haggle every day to get to and back from work would be a nightmare so I am thinking of buying my own sort of transport.

What would it have to be?
- bike
- motor bike
- scooter
?

I dont want to spend a fortune but am ready to spend quite a few hundreds. Could anyone advise?

Also, I have my driving license but for cars only, never even tried to ride a bike so I will need to practice before I buy with someone there. I guess I will require a local driving license unless I want to pay corrupt police?

Thank you for your help!
Pete

I think it is good idea to spend a few dollars to start from a bike. However, you can used tuk tuk or motor taxi. it's easy. After a while you are well familiar with the city, you could a own motor bike if you live at least 12 months in phnom penh. it would be easier for you to go around and you will be familiar with the road system within a week. also, buying stuff in pp is a difficult. you should ask someone for help to have a look on or check the quality and price.
thanks.

Pete,
once you have a place where you live you might find ONE dedicated tuk tuk or moto driver who will transport you every day - so the hassle of haggling can be reduced big time.

If you've never been on a motorbike Phom Penh might be a bit of a challenge for the beginner as there are hardly any rules - apart from simple survival...
Cars are definitely safer - but you'll have to face the frequent stops by police for some imagined(?) traffic infringement - meaning you have to pay some sort of contribution - around 1-2 Dollars when bargained down. Same applies for motorbikes.

I just arrived here some weeks ago and for the time being organized myself a push bike - PP not very big so I can easily use it to get to work...just very dusty.

Marlene

I lived in PP for well over a year - you won't have a problem hagging everyday.  Living there is nothing like being a tourist - you will have regular guys who will drive you about and you will not haggle - just pay what you think the price is.  Even when they are not there you'll know the price - you just pay it.  Buying your own bike might be an idea but there is no need to do so just to avoid haggling. The roads are a nightmare -make sur eyou have insurance which covers you in case you have a major smash.
Michelle

Be carreful : not to buy the new motobike in series 2010,2009 and go out at night late.Very dangerous!!!

hi all, new here,,  thinking of moving there too later i the year.

michellesincambodia - as a guide for tuk tuk price, what would you expect to pay as a regular, say from riverside to the airport??  Cheers

Oh, & with my visits, it is good to have one driver take you around.  He becomes more than your driver & will help you with other things too.

Riverside to airport for tuk tuk should be no more than $7. This is the standard fixed fare the airport guys charge... You could try for less when you have a regular person as they will want the regular income.
Yes, its good to have a couple of guys who will look after you - they can help you out with most things if their english is good enough or if your khmer is good enough(!)

Cheers michellesincambodia.. looks like i got the pricing spot on, nice to know.  Having a crack at khmer too!

I have only spent a few months in PP between two trips, but you will be surprised how easy it is to get around on moto-taxies.  They are all over, and even staying a week or two you will get to know the ones in your area and can easily build a relationship with them.  Cambodians are incredible businessmen, and my experience with drivers is that they are mostly honorable folks.  I doubt you'd have much trouble relying on them.

+1 on paying what the ride is worth.  Tricky part is figuring out what a normal charge is, because as a foreigner you will be asked for 2-3+ times the normal rate right off the bat.

My second trip I was lucky enough to have a car, though I always let our Cambodian friend drive because the cops would nickel and dime us like mad when us foreigners would drive.