Paycheck can be cashed while waiting for my iqama

Greetings,
I will be working for a government university as of next month. I was wondering if a paycheck can be cashed while waiting for my iqama. Do you know if universities are ok with handing checks instead of direct deposits?

dicartagini wrote:

I will be working for a government university as of next month. I was wondering if a paycheck can be cashed while waiting for my iqama. Do you know if universities are ok with handing checks instead of direct deposits?

Generally, you can't open a bank account until you have your iqama. However, while waiting for my iqama to be processed, my govt uni gave me a check for my housing allowance.  I needed to cash it but obviously didn't yet have a bank account. The uni's accounting department provided me with a document verifying I was an employee and authorizing the bank's campus branch to cash the check, which the bank did without any hesitation. And this was easily done within a day. By the time the first pay day came around, I'd already opened my bank account and subsequently, received my pay via direct deposit. 

I should mention that I joined near the midde of the academic year and was the only new employee at the time, so my paperwork was quickly processed.  However, you're coming in as one of many new employees, so don't expect everything to get processed as fast. 

If you have questions about your first pay check, talk with your campus accounting department.  They're the best source for this type of info.  Plus, getting acquainted with key staff is a smart idea---establishing a good working relationship with them from the start.

Thanks for your prompt response! Do universities in SA agree to deposit to a foreign account?

dicartagini wrote:

Do universities in SA agree to deposit to a foreign account?

No because you're paid in riyals per your employment contract.  Many of us use online banking to transfer money to accounts outside the Kingdom.

Do you recommend any particular bank?

Wait until you get to Saudi Arabia because it's very likely your employer requires employees to use a specific bank.  If not, they'll have recommendations for you.

Hi dicartagini,

A new topic has been created with your post on the Riyadh forum for a better visibility.

Thank you,
Christine